James Rear Mount Equal Length Tubular Headers - Test fitted to car

Re: Tubular Headers to keep turbo in stock location

Holey shit guys

Give me a chance to design the crossover pipe

Honestly the turbo mounts as OEM no tricks here.

the secret is all my crossover pipe which is in my head and not on a CAD drawing yet

I will say again, the crossover pipe will merge both banks somewhere (yet to be drawn up)around the back of the motor and then bring it over to the turbo flange somewhere round about where the OEM turbo flange mounts up.

My intention is that the stock intake plenum will still fit

Its not that amazing or difficult its just some pipes welded together

Gah cut me some slack here good things will happen soon
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

very good work sir, you are making a very good addition to your combo with this setup. I wouldnt be suprised to see almost 50hp over a set of stock manifolds at full tilt with this. yeah yeah "they made 700whp with stock manifolds" ive heard it too, but they could have made 800whp with just the addition of a proper set of hotside parts. Some of the comments in this thread make me wonder if this is honda-tech, the stupid is strong in here
    87 Turbo: Stock VG33, stock cams, maxima intake, T5, DXD stage 3 clutch, tubular stainless headers, GT3582r, full 3" stainless exhaust, E85 680cc inj. and Nistune
    current time: 13.39@106, 2.05 60' 12psi with old stock 85T motor and street tires!

james wrote: I will say again, the crossover pipe will merge both banks somewhere (yet to be drawn up)around the back of the motor and then bring it over to the turbo flange somewhere round about where the OEM turbo flange mounts up.
    gotcha, now it makes sense

[quote]firefox wrote:
    Originally posted by Grr
    very good work sir, you are making a very good addition to your combo with this setup. I wouldnt be suprised to see almost 50hp over a set of stock manifolds at full tilt with this. yeah yeah "they made 700whp with stock manifolds" ive heard it too, but they could have made 800whp with just the addition of a proper set of hotside parts. Some of the comments in this thread make me wonder if this is honda-tech, the stupid is strong in here

i say tubular manifolds are great if made right, but wtf is the point of custom manifolds to put the turbo back into the stock location in the way hes doing it.
    it might make more top end power… but the low end and boost lag will suffer significantly
    the manifolds are not as restrictive as our heads are. so the top end gains are mild at best.

i admire james's perseverance and im not discouraging him. just take into account that this is constitutive criticism.

im just going to keep quiet until its done. just like i mostly have with my build on this forum.
    Seems to me that its a scheme to build equal length tubular manifolds for a single turbo setup without running a front-mounted turbo-charger…while the front-mounted may flow better, this will still flow better than stock for sure…while also supplying the badass sounds of a V6 with equal length headers
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

[quote]firefox wrote:
    Originally posted by Grr

i say tubular manifolds are great if made right, but wtf is the point of custom manifolds to put the turbo back into the stock location in the way hes doing it.
    it might make more top end power… but the low end and boost lag will suffer significantly
    the manifolds are not as restrictive as our heads are. so the top end gains are mild at best.

i admire james's perseverance and im not discouraging him. just take into account that this is constitutive criticism.

im just going to keep quiet until its done. just like i mostly have with my build on this forum.
    I think he is trying to keep the A/C, power steering components unlike the current manifolds in which you have to delete all of it or at least most.
    Gone - 1988 Shiro
    2004 BMW 330Ci
    2005 BMW 330i
    1991 Twin Turbo Z's (Red and Black)
    http://www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

firefox wrote:

Probably the best idea you have had yet.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

SATAN wrote: Probably the best idea you have had yet.
    :humhihi

[quote]Careless wrote:
    Originally posted by SATAN
    Probably the best idea you have had yet.:humhihi
    Well, I wouldn't have said that if he had been a little more respectful toward the guy. Coming in saying that something isn't going to work, prove me wrong offers no kind of constructive criticism. It really just makes one look like an ass.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

only LOL'ing cause I agree. nothing more, nothing less.

• Re: Tubular Headers to keep turbo in stock location

Nice work James, good on you. I'd ignore the impatient ones and just cruise at your own pace.

we want moar pics!!1!!
    86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

i'd be willing to buy a set. better then the stock shitty manifolds.

also keep up the good work they look sweet. if what you say is true and they actually are bigger in the picture then in real life i would think spool up would be bettered.

he gives me shit all the time about the money i spend on my car but he simply doenst understand what type of "high" you get from watching a stock car transform into something alive with as much emotion and feelings as any human.
    Originally posted by PurePontiacKid
    My god… 10 pages and so far he's only pulled the motor out of the donor car, and bought some valvetrain parts for it? way to be proactive guys.

I dont see why alot of people are saying it wont boost worth shit or have massive lag because of heat loss. STS remote turbos spool decently and make good power and deffinately have way way more heat loss than these manifolds could ever have. the reason they work so well is because what they loose in thermal expansion they make up for in density. the principal is simple its like hitting a wall really fast and alot of times with a little hammer or hitting it slowly fewer times with a big hammer you get teh same effect. the cooler exhaust charge the remote turbo sees is also denser so it can exert more force on the turbine wheel. there are good and bad arguements for both a short run to the turbo to get the most effect of the thermal expansion of the exhaust gasses and the long run to the turbo with cooler denser gasses being able to exert more force on the turbine. I say great work man owning the redheaded stepchild of the sports car world this is the only way advancement is made someone being brave/creative enough to try something different if it works fantastic if it dosent then lesson learned and someone has developed some fab skills to try something different again that may work. If everyone thought the way some people arround here do we would all still be driving model a fords with 12hp thinking outside a pre determined box is how new things that work are found. hell how do you think the tried and true methods everyone here is stuck on became that way? someone had to try it now didnt they? heck if my work would ever pick back up and i get out of this hole im in i may get to actually finish my car and i will be building a set of manifolds for the det since the extra width of the 4cam heads wouldnt allow a verry big turbo to be put in the stock location.
    live fast,drive hard,and enjoy the ride!

tlmaniac wrote: I dont see why alot of people are saying it wont boost worth shit or have massive lag because of heat loss. STS remote turbos spool decently and make good power and deffinately have way way more heat loss than these manifolds could ever have. the reason they work so well is because what they loose in thermal expansion they make up for in density. the principal is simple its like hitting a wall really fast and alot of times with a little hammer or hitting it slowly fewer times with a big hammer you get teh same effect. the cooler exhaust charge the remote turbo sees is also denser so it can exert more force on the turbine wheel. there are good and bad arguements for both a short run to the turbo to get the most effect of the thermal expansion of the exhaust gasses and the long run to the turbo with cooler denser gasses being able to exert more force on the turbine. I say great work man owning the redheaded stepchild of the sports car world this is the only way advancement is made someone being brave/creative
    enough to try something different if it works fantastic if it dosent then lesson learned and someone has developed some fab skills to try something different again that may work. If everyone thought the way some people arround here do we would all still be driving model a fords with 12hp thinking outside a pre determined box is how new things that work are found. hell how do you think the tried and true methods everyone here is stuck on became that way? someone had to try it now didnt they? heck if my work would ever pick back up and i get out of this hole im in i may get to actually finish my car and i will be building a set of manifolds for the det since the extra width of the 4cam heads wouldnt allow a verry big turbo to be put in the stock location.

Wow there is so much wrong with this post.

They will have massive lag because of heatloss and because of the other longer pipes. The rear mount turbo like sts will lag a lot. This is because long pipe from the engine to the turbo, the long intercooler pipe, and the longass pipe all the way to the intake/TB. If you put a Stock T3 way back by the tailpipe with IC pipes to the front with all thelong intake pipes, or put it in the stock location, what will spool faster. The STS will take way longer.

Hitting a wall with a little hammer really fast resembles a little turbo spooling very fast with no lag
    Hitting a wall with a large hammer very hard but slow resembles a large turbo that spools much later and slower.

The exhaust gases will not flow faster once there cool down. When there is an increase in heat, there is an increase in pressure. When the exhaust gases cool down, they will not exert more force on the turbine.

Why do you think they heat wrap turbo pipes and turbos? To keep in the heat to decrease spool time.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure where wouldn't be driving little box 12hp ford if it weren't for godsend people like you.

domingo wrote: I have these photos of the leaks, which sold one day for Internet, if it can be of help in the design

I bought those headers! I still have them. They are in a box somewhere in my attic along with 40 other boxes of unused parts. They are Inconel alloy and are a Greddy/Trust JDM design. Incredibly well made expensive design. Originally designed for the GTP cars. They will not fit our cars, they are designed for a right hand drive car. I wasted nearly $2K on them. What a shame as they are a nice design. I just now read the entire thread and see that James might have a right hand drive car. I know you wanted to create your own, but mine would have bolted right onto your car without a hitch! At least you could have mimic the design. A guy down in Puerto Rico laid down 400 WHP (claimed) with these with minor mods. and an old Wolf tune. The damn steering linkage is in the way on left hand drive cars. Let me know if you need any information from them, I will dig them out and take some better pics.
    2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!