James Rear Mount Equal Length Tubular Headers - Test fitted to car

Re: Tubular Headers to keep turbo in stock location

Firefox

Primary inside diameter is actually 38.5mm and the port size on my flanges are exactly 39mm > this even falls within what you just said = no problems…

don't get fooled by how the photo looks the primary are actually quite small to help keep the gas velocity up.

as far as few bends as possible, there is maybe like 2-3 bends in each primary, and to keep the lengths short the bends have to be a tight radius. so that rules out large radius bends as it would cause primary length to be excessive and there would be no room to fit them in the engine bay.

it is all a compromise. I am actually running a big turbo now planning on 18psi

Careless > i will happily supply you a set of plans once these are Dyno tested with results. I will need some info from you so we can adapt these to LHD

i would not actually build them for you > my work i far to sloppy but Satan would be the best guy to build them from my set of plans.

I am working on a CAD model for the rest of system at the moment in 2 or 3 days it will be ready as i need to spend time with family over Xmas family matters more than Z31P

also ....THESE MANIFOLDS WILL BE COATED this is 100% necessary in my mind for a number of reasons
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

James, I like this. keep up with it and make it a reality! :-)
    Once it is all set and done will it be 16 gauge stainless tube or Schedule 10 304 pipe?

are these materials easily accessible to you there?

Also if the flange to the head is going to be stainless you are making it .500"?
    Gone - 1988 Shiro
    2004 BMW 330Ci
    2005 BMW 330i
    1991 Twin Turbo Z's (Red and Black)
    http://www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

firefox wrote: Firefox

zfast88z>

people talk shit and that is why i haven't posted up my build thread on here yet. once i get it all together and running i will post it.
    Firefox, I understand what you are doing. and I have read your build thread.

But you have to understand, Some guys here have been around the VG30 for years and many have done 400+whp. Streetfighter has, 1sickZ in Florida has, Jason has and many more, Zfast88Z is currently building a twin turbo VG capable of 1000hp… He can tell you it costs a whole lot more then $6k.

One thing you will notice with the high whp VG cars here is that either the guys making the power own the shop or they work or have connections with a shop.

1sickZ ran a 9.32 run at 143mph and he had roughly mid 600whp figure.

Power can be had on the stock manifolds but James wants something different and he will gain top end power going with the tubular set up something the Z31 lacks if stock manifolds are kept.
    Gone - 1988 Shiro
    2004 BMW 330Ci
    2005 BMW 330i

With zero markup on parts, and a decent discount on labor due to the amount of work performed, for a comparable Z to what we have built, I would quote a customer in the area of $60,000.

Fast, Cheap and Reliable. You get to pick two out of the three. Which do you prefer?
    The bullshit stops, when the GREEN light drops.

Only babies cry about the bottle.

james wrote: Hey Yeah its all good,

I swear every single person has always asks me why the stock location so it gets tiring explaining so often.

I am using a Garrett/Air Research T3/T4 ( uh yeah pretty small i know ) I'm not sure what the biggest size could be fitted as i don't have anything to mock up with apart from the turbo I already have.
    Pretty much an "S" compressor cover (.70 A/R)

So small? hehe… stock manifold can hold turbos that do 750hp… with this manifold set up there would be added top end..
    Gone - 1988 Shiro
    2004 BMW 330Ci
    2005 BMW 330i

BTW Manifolds look awesome, can't wait to see how they go on the car
    Originally posted by TearingRaven
    Honestly, if you have to ask this question and common sense does not kick in immediately, you need to be riding the bus. Preferably while wearing a helmet.

Careless wrote: yeah, the VG-E sounds awesome with tubular manifolds.
    most only know the VG-E by its signature "dying moose" sound with the log mani's.
    Log mani's as in what Satan makes? How do they sound?
    Or do you mean the stock N/A manifolds?

I would also be interested in getting the cad file for this..
    What software are you using???
    I am quite familiar with SoildWorks.
    I'm sure between some of us LHD guys we can get this to work over here..
    The nice thing with CAD is it should be easy to mirror it to get it to flip over to our side…
    Kevin
    ---------------------------------------
    1986 NA 5sp - Bone stock, but in good shape

Any drag racing talk that was in this thread has been moved to the racing section.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

james wrote: Firefox

I am working on a CAD model for the rest of system at the moment in 2 or 3 days it will be ready as i need to spend time with family over Xmas family matters more than Z31P

also ....THESE MANIFOLDS WILL BE COATED this is 100% necessary in my mind for a number of reasons
    Yeah coating the manifold does wonders…

so by weeks end you should have something done for a complete system?
    Gone - 1988 Shiro
    2004 BMW 330Ci
    2005 BMW 330i

[quote]Mitchd03 wrote:
    Originally posted by Careless
    yeah, the VG-E sounds awesome with tubular manifolds.
    most only know the VG-E by its signature "dying moose" sound with the log mani's.
    Log mani's as in what Satan makes? How do they sound?
    Or do you mean the stock N/A manifolds?
    I would imagine the only sound changing that SATAN's log-style hybrid manifolds provide are that from the different turbo and the extended cross-over pipe, as well as the primary diameter. It should vary the sound quite a bit compared to stock, as any exhaust does. And then the downpipe would add to that characteristic spool that turbos are known for.

The stock downpipe and manifold sounds mundane.

K_Scheeringa wrote: I would also be interested in getting the cad file for this..
    The nice thing with CAD is it should be easy to mirror it to get it to flip over to our side…
    Why would you want to mirror it? The turbo is on the same side, the problem would be the steering shaft and possibly brake MC and lines
    Originally posted by TearingRaven
    Honestly, if you have to ask this question and common sense does not kick in immediately, you need to be riding the bus. Preferably while wearing a helmet.

[quote]Rat1314 wrote:
    Originally posted by K_Scheeringa
    I would also be interested in getting the cad file for this..
    Originally posted by K_Scheeringa
    Why would you want to mirror it? The turbo is on the same side, the problem would be the steering shaft and possibly brake MC and lines
    because pictures like this:

are having me confused to. not only do both manifolds have the same shape, just inverted… they show no flange for a turbo to be mounted anywhere, unless it's a rear mounted turbo setup.

If the turbo is going to be mounted at the end of that, well… I have no interest in cutting my firewall to fit a downpipe :-/

I have these photos of the leaks, which sold one day for Internet, if it can be of help in the design

I would not set a boost limit before the project is done. The decreased back pressure and scavenging effect from the manifolds will let you run either more boost or more timing. It may be happy at as much as 22-23psi on 93 octane, depending on your CR.
    86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.