Opinions on t72

• Opinions on t72

So I was able to pick up a turbonetics t72 for a pretty decent price and I wanted some opinions on it. It is has a .70 A/R cold side with a 72mm wheel, and a .85 A/R hot side with a p-trim wheel. Any educated opinions will be appreciated.

440whp on pump fuel and the STOCK MAF

enjoyrth wrote: So I was able to pick up a turbonetics t72 for a pretty decent price and I wanted some opinions on it. It is has a .70 A/R cold side with a 72mm wheel, and a .85 A/R hot side with a p-trim wheel. Any educated opinions will be appreciated.
    It probably wont spook till 4k+ Rpm…

Great turbo if your going for bigg numbers..

Sell it for profit.. buy a more suitable turbo
    1989 300ZX 2+2 N/A GLL
    Auto to Manual Swap
    NA2T Complete

I currently have a t64e, which has a .60 A/R compressor housing with a 66mm wheel. I feel that this is where I am getting choked up. It has a p-trim wheel as well, so I will be using the exhaust housing from the t64e (which I was told was a .63 A/R, but I am pretty sure its a .85 as I don't hit full boost til 4500+) as to avoid having to make a new downpipe. I have no problem with my current lag. I made 440whp on this turbo, and I am looking for an upgrade. I am obviously looking for big numbers and am not afraid of making real power with a real turbo, which results in dealing with some lag.

[quote]Shady195 wrote:
    Originally posted by enjoyrth
    So I was able to pick up a turbonetics t72 for a pretty decent price and I wanted some opinions on it. It is has a .70 A/R cold side with a 72mm wheel, and a .85 A/R hot side with a p-trim wheel. Any educated opinions will be appreciated.

have you ever ridden in a car with a turbo that big? i have ridden in cars with comparable size turbos and the lag is not as bad as you think. this is the mindset of most z31 guys, that's why there is not many fast z31's out there. my buddy runs a 67mm in his evo and that's a 2.0 liter!!! he drove that car everyday for about 6months until he got a beater.

rick, i think it will be a good turbo for what you want
    I hate wheel gap with a extreme passion

my build
    viewtopic.php?t=2755
    seller feedback
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10430

it's a 3 fucking liter engine. use it.

he gives me shit all the time about the money i spend on my car but he simply doenst understand what type of "high" you get from watching a stock car transform into something alive with as much emotion and feelings as any human.
    Originally posted by PurePontiacKid
    My god… 10 pages and so far he's only pulled the motor out of the donor car, and bought some valvetrain parts for it? way to be proactive guys.

At what boost are you making 440whp? What size compressor housing does the T72 have?
    Shiro #443

Rick88ss wrote: At what boost are you making 440whp? What size compressor housing does the T72 have?
    The 440whp was made at 22psi. The t72 has a .70 A/R compressor housing.

i also have a T72,but i chose to use the 0.70 hotside.
    some say it might be too big, but i think as long as you have the supporting mods, it should be no problem.
    PICS?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/onefast87

I think you will have comparable spool to your t-64, maybe 1-200rpm difference.
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

A P trim wheel with a .85 a/r (P-85) for the hot side, is pretty damn small for a 72mm inducer compressor wheel. Meaning, IMO the compressor wheel is too large for the turbine wheel and housing.

You will make great power and it will spool quick for the street. However, if you are planning on running the T72 to its full potential, then your back pressure is going to be very high while the turbo is maxed out and might not even max out at all due to too much restriction in the hot side.

If you don't plan on going past 600whp with it, I say leave it. It will run great. If you do go for larger HP numbers, just get a bigger A/R on the back side. By larger I mean something over a 1.00. Then you will start to see some noticeable lag, but even still not THAT MUCH.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

SATAN wrote: A P trim wheel with a .85 a/r (P-85) for the hot side, is pretty damn small for a 72mm inducer compressor wheel. Meaning, IMO the compressor wheel is too large for the turbine wheel and housing.

You will make great power and it will spool quick for the street. However, if you are planning on running the T72 to its full potential, then your back pressure is going to be very high while the turbo is maxed out and might not even max out at all due to too much restriction in the hot side.

If you don't plan on going past 600whp with it, I say leave it. It will run great. If you do go for larger HP numbers, just get a bigger A/R on the back side. By larger I mean something over a 1.00. Then you will start to see some noticeable lag, but even still not THAT MUCH.
    This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I like this turbo choice because it offers me exactly that: the chance for a streetable turbo with less lag while I keep nistune, and then the option to go bigger once I get around to it.

i think turbonetics sells a T3/T4 turbo that can get you up to 500hp

he gives me shit all the time about the money i spend on my car but he simply doenst understand what type of "high" you get from watching a stock car transform into something alive with as much emotion and feelings as any human.
    Originally posted by PurePontiacKid
    My god… 10 pages and so far he's only pulled the motor out of the donor car, and bought some valvetrain parts for it? way to be proactive guys.

New 2 Z wrote:
    i think turbonetics sells a T3/T4 turbo that can get you up to 500hp
    uhm WAHT

tons of people sell turbos that can get 500hp pending your setup. your point in sayin that to me is....misquote?
    Four Doors for More Whores

The spec on that turbo ain't that bad!!!

I have a hx40 with almost those same specs and I get full spool at 3500-3800rpms!

I also still have lots left for the big-end!
    88na2T-s13,q45 swap 12.6@110mph
    87T 2+2 auto,stock

[quote]Andrew84zx wrote: [quote=Shady195]
    Originally posted by enjoyrth

have you ever ridden in a car with a turbo that big? i have ridden in cars with comparable size turbos and the lag is not as bad as you think. this is the mindset of most z31 guys, that's why there is not many fast z31's out there. my buddy runs a 67mm in his evo and that's a 2.0 liter!!! he drove that car everyday for about 6months until he got a beater.

rick, i think it will be a good turbo for what you want

Yes I have..

No it dident fully spool till about 3800-4000rpms

Like I said great turbo if hes going for big numbers like satan said 600+whp

if thats what he wants then its a perfect turbo
    1989 300ZX 2+2 N/A GLL
    Auto to Manual Swap
    NA2T Complete