Z31 Electric Fans

My temp gauge sensor is on the passenger side with a male spade connector sticking out. Maybe it's different for 85+. Here's my setup. I ordered this fan controller:
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de…fan+controller

And just like NissanEGG, purchased this coupler:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/40MM-WATER-T…390318&vxp=mtr

Then, I cut my ASCO silicone hose (I'm sure it killed a kitten somewhere), put it in the hose between the top radiator neck, and the body neck, and that thermostatic switch threads in perfect. No adapters, and all the wires hide pretty will in that corner of the engine bay.
    " I spend another hour trying to rip the bolt out of the subframe, pausing every five minutes to scream and contemplate how I get myself into these situations. Two cars over, a guy urinates. I watch the steam waft off of the fresh puddle in the gravel. It merges with the blowing snow and is cut by the aerodynamic wedge of a nearby Fiero. Beautiful. Another pry and the carrier finally falls to earth. I walk out of there $80 lighter, which makes me more mad." - Brian Kolar

So I found in the fsm the passage side with male spade is for instrument cluster. The drivers side is the water switch for the extra fan in front of the radiator that switches on at 212 degrees. So what is the switch at the bottom of the radiator? Also what threading size is the water switch in the LIM. 3/8 npt? Making sure I can remove this with no I'll effects since my condenser fan has been long gone. Want to do this without cutting the radiator hoses.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

it is 3/8NPT the one on the drivers side is for the injector fan, the one in the rad is for the backup elec. fan on the front of the condenser, especially considering it's run (I believe) in series with that fan, if you notice it's large gauge wiring!
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

Ah, thanks Axel! I remember removing this useless blower device now. Question remains, does this sit in coolant or is it a blind hole? I'm assuming if blind it has to be drilled thru to hit coolant?
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

it sits in coolant. the later model VG's ran their CHTS in this spot, and is a sealed unit with a copper crush washer, to prevent leakage! * sits directly in the lower intake manifold's coolant chamber in the bottom of it.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Urstin
    My temp gauge sensor is on the passenger side with a male spade connector sticking out. Maybe it's different for 85+. Here's my setup. I ordered this fan controller:
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de…fan+controller

And just like NissanEGG, purchased this coupler:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/40MM-WATER-T…390318&vxp=mtr

Then, I cut my ASCO silicone hose (I'm sure it killed a kitten somewhere), put it in the hose between the top radiator neck, and the body neck, and that thermostatic switch threads in perfect. No adapters, and all the wires hide pretty will in that corner of the engine bay.

Do you have any pictures of this setup? Also, what fan are you using?
    Shiro #562
    vg33et66- satan log manifold- satan racing plenum- 800cc o-ring injectors- Schneider
    s2 cams- Schneider valve springs- jwt 450hp kit- stance gr+ coilovers- Starion Wheels
    soon to be replaced by Epsilon Southern Ways 16x10 3piece wheels

sigpic

I can take some tonight. I just wired it up last night. I need to improve the shroud. I'm running a Champ radiator. And I basically used NissanEgg's idea to run the coolant adapter in the hose for the thermostatic switch.
    " I spend another hour trying to rip the bolt out of the subframe, pausing every five minutes to scream and contemplate how I get myself into these situations. Two cars over, a guy urinates. I watch the steam waft off of the fresh puddle in the gravel. It merges with the blowing snow and is cut by the aerodynamic wedge of a nearby Fiero. Beautiful. Another pry and the carrier finally falls to earth. I walk out of there $80 lighter, which makes me more mad." - Brian Kolar

hey guys, hope you dont mind me creeping on your thread, but this is a very important factor in my build because
    1 i live in phoenix, (extreme hot summers)
    2, i am shooting for a na2t swap that mimicks the original turbo setup, except on a built vg34.

i was originally going to go original clutch fan and fan shroud, since thats how it came from the factory.. i have a perfect shroud i found ive been holding onto for just this.. as they like to break where the support piece bolts on..

but after reading this complete thread i think i better look into upgrading. i have a custom aluminum radiator with a Taurus fan mounted to it, i dunno if the inlet/outlet pipes are in the right spots or if it would fit. but my real question is what would be the best "kit" for a radiator, fan, and whatever else is necessary for my setup and situation.

Also, i do have a turbo oil cooler i plan on running ( i need new hoses for, cause they were cut,)
    i also found this engine fan of sorts that blows air through a shroud that points to the intake, does anyone know what this is and if i can use it with my setup? i need to take pics of what im describing and post them. first i need to clean them up lol. time for a brake cleaner party!

Meanwhile, if i am upgrading the cooling system, is there a standard upgrade to add an intercooler to the stock turbo system?

sorry for all the questions but they all seem to relate to the same situation

but after reading this complete thread i think i better look into upgrading. i have a custom aluminum radiator with a Taurus fan mounted to it, i dunno if the inlet/outlet pipes are in the right spots or if it would fit. but my real question is what would be the best "kit" for a radiator, fan, and whatever else is necessary for my setup and situation.
    Champion 3 core aluminum radiator is recommended

Also, i do have a turbo oil cooler i plan on running ( i need new hoses for, cause they were cut,)
    i also found this engine fan of sorts that blows air through a shroud that points to the intake, does anyone know what this is and if i can use it with my setup? i need to take pics of what im describing and post them. first i need to clean them up lol. time for a brake cleaner party!
    It's likely an injector cooling fan, some toss it, some keep it. It's used to cool the injector rail and prevent vapor lock.

Meanwhile, if i am upgrading the cooling system, is there a standard upgrade to add an intercooler to the stock turbo system?
    No standard, everything (besides the rare unicorn HKS kit and this overpriced kit) is homebrew. Look here for what others have done: http://www.redz31.net/turbofaq/intercoolers.html

sorry for all the questions but they all seem to relate to the same situation
    No problem, there is lots of info out there, most of it can be found with Google.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

I have never heard of anyone having overheating problems with the stock cooling setup *if* it was in good repair. Buuuuut… speaking from experience, getting rid of the shroud and clutch fan setup just makes the engine bay a much happier place to work.

Originally posted by Z_Karma
    Champion 3 core aluminum radiator is recommended

It's likely an injector cooling fan, some toss it, some keep it. It's used to cool the injector rail and prevent vapor lock.

No standard, everything (besides the rare unicorn HKS kit and this overpriced kit) is homebrew. Look here for what others have done: http://www.redz31.net/turbofaq/intercoolers.html

No problem, there is lots of info out there, most of it can be found with Google.
    thanks, has anyone spent the money or read any reviews on that CXracing kit,? it comes with a new radiator as well, which, if performs as well as the champion, then i may seriously be thinking about it. the shitty part would be no more ac…here in phoenix that could almost make it a deal breaker, since it is going to be for daily driving, i would like to be able to stay comfortable, but at the same time want the best setup for my engine. edit. looks like some guys made custom setups keeping the ac.. this will be my best option.

Originally posted by Geoffs86zx View Post
    thanks, has anyone spent the money or read any reviews on that CXracing kit,? it comes with a new radiator as well, which, if performs as well as the champion, then i may seriously be thinking about it. the shitty part would be no more ac…here in phoenix that could almost make it a deal breaker, since it is going to be for daily driving, i would like to be able to stay comfortable, but at the same time want the best setup for my engine. edit. looks like some guys made custom setups keeping the ac.. this will be my best option.
    Make a quick search in the forums and if you take others' opinions for anything then the kit does not appear to be recommendable. There was at least one entire thread about the kit.

edit: like this for example http://z31performance.com/showthread…light=cxracing

thanks. not worth using. question answered.

why is the injector cooling fan considered worthless? id expect any kind of cooling system would only help here in phoenix with the summers getting as hot as they do. i was planning on cleaning the one i have up from all the dirt and grease on it and installing it with my build. if this is pointless please advise.

secondly, where can i find stock replacement oil cooler lines? cause mine came cut in half in the middle. is there a way to repair that? i do know that there where at least two different size fittings/ hoses.. thanks in advance, sorry for all the noobness

just bought the champ rad and the in line 40mm adapter. gunna wait to decide on fan and fan controller once i understand how its gunna fit and be wired up at together to the car. like i said i have a taurus fan im not using, but there might be a better one that fits with a warranty, like the cougar one, i just want to see and know how to wire it all up before i buy it. i want to make sure the two work together/match. i know the hayden temp sensor goes with the adapter, but i dont know for sure how to wire it to which fan.. please advise. sorry if i didnt see this i looked over this post many times..