Response Type BIG BRAKE kit, 13 inches for non-turbo hubs :)

• Being as they all use the same caliper, and same sized rotor, I can't imagine there is any… except those limited run SF models, which appear to use significantly smaller brakes, but even then, no reason to have a third casting (4-bolt vs 5-bolt)

• G-E;325570 wrote: Holy crap children!

INQ: I understand your question about where they are coming from, you asked the odd question of brand, these are not off-the-shelf parts, everything is either entirely custom or a modified design, the brand is _mine_

I think the failure lies in assumptions, you came to this thread assuming that like many small-biz products, my kit would be a collection of things I've found with adapters to work in our case, the kit isn't an adaptation to the z31, it's designed from scratch for the z31.... partly why it took so long

More generally: The pads included are street pads, why not race pads you ask? Well everyone has different needs, street pads will let you get started without additional purchasesl; it allows you to feel the car, upgrade as necessary to the compound you find most appropriate… I'm not about to dictate selection, that will be up to the vendor or the buyer's shopping/researching efforts, it only makes sense to offer low cost pads

Studs: Since this was designed around non-turbo hubs which have tiny studs, you have two choices, getting normal length replacements, or again _my_ branded extended studs, I'm sure my price is competitive with any you will find, the question becomes why not?

There were some key considerations in this kit: The calipers are huge compared to z32 calipers, if the installation brackets placed the caliper in the same position, you'd need a 20mm spacer to clear any wheels that barely cleared the z32's… everything was designed around the premise that that would be bad (the rotor hat will already add offset), the caliper clearance is modest now, I think adoption would be slower if everyone had to buy wheels specifically designed around big brakes, which would also be bad
    Thank you. This is exactly what I was seeking. A clear concise explanation/description that I can cut-n-paste to show others. And with the photos even better! (It works better than to just tell someone to go to z31performance forum).
    '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
    PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

• Wait....Them are THEM calipers....ohhh. I havn't looked at this thread in a while. Good Idea for calipers! pretty common upgrade in other automotive worlds. Easy peasy. Very Nice!
    89' Turbo-R.I.P. (scrapped)
    87' NA all parts swapped from 89', Stance, 3.3 long block, hx35w, Injector Dynamics 1000cc, isky cams, pathfinder intake, front mount, megasquirt v3.57 w/MS3X
    07 Frontier XE <----(turd) daily

• How's this for instructions/guidelines/warnings?

• OH Radial Mounting!?! Very trick
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
    Parting Currently:
    86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
    Garage Sale

• I want to get these installed for you soon. I've got some things ordered that should be here soon…
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

• MADMIKE;327178 wrote: OH Radial Mounting!?! Very trick
    Seeing the brackets, where did you think the other two holes were? hehe

• I hadn't paid attention to it frankly. But that means you can space your caliper for larger rotors it that is your bag.
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    Parting Currently:
    Garage Sale

• MADMIKE;327240 wrote: I hadn't paid attention to it frankly. But that means you can space your caliper for larger rotors it that is your bag.
    There's going to be a test on thursday, you better get on it!

• My plans are a tad different as I have slip on's and z33 Track rotors. I plan on Akebono's as my next step. If they can stop a much heavier car with ease they more than likely will stop me pretty handily.

I love this project and product though. It will be great to see some test results. Maybe some before and after stopping from speed measured and video'd Best of luck.
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    Parting Currently:
    Garage Sale

• MADMIKE;327370 wrote: My plans are a tad different as I have slip on's and z33 Track rotors. I plan on Akebono's as my next step. If they can stop a much heavier car with ease they more than likely will stop me pretty handily.I love the abarth video where the little fiat does a stoppie, sadly that won't happen with a z

MADMIKE;327370 wrote:
    I love this project and product though. It will be great to see some test results. Maybe some before and after stopping from speed measured and video'd Best of luck.
    Thanks!

PS. And for break-in people will need to do 3-4 runs to 60mph and stomp it back to 15mph with a cooldown between

• Good things. Looking forward to seeing the review and some installation pictures.
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

• Here's how the rotor fills 18" enkei kojin:

I'll try to get an assembled spindle+caliper+wheel glamour shot soon… the kojins have fantastic brake clearance, far more than I expected, I imagine the te37 style wheels are similarly good

• Have you determind a final cost yet.......
    "zetto sun-ichi" group"