Soo how about thems swaybars?

• Soo how about thems swaybars?

A z31 front swaybar is ~38-1/2" at it's endlink mounts… here is a g35 one, it is ~37-5/8" at the same point…

The important difference is actually the location of those points away from the mounting bushings, almost 1-1/2" further, which would put it past the control arm by quite a bit if mounted in the same spot

But look how beefy they are stock…

Test fit to a Z31 and see where any issues would be. Especially that hump in the middle. Only downside to such a larger front bar is less oversteer. That would be good for the 2-seater guys that track their cars or lemons racers looking for more stability.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

If you mean the kickup for engine clearance, it is 2" deeper.... mounted normally, this would mean hanging a little lower, and a little forward

So in theory, you should only have additional clearance, I can't imagine it impacting the lower rad support

What I was thinking is actually to flip it, so it intrudes into the engine bay, and move it forward an inch or so… the other good option if I want to keep the force centered on the lca, would be to use a subaru style C-shaped endlink, which would then attach to a bracket on the bottom of the lca

We'll see once I have a better idea how my control arm/tc rod combo is going to turn out

Hey G-E, any update on this project? I am finding that I need a stiffer front swaybar. I'm currently running a 25mm addco (I think) bar. It needs to be bigger.
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    SCCA Solo E-Street Prepared #31
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

Nissan Motorsports sells a 28.5mm front bar. I run one in my Z.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold

The update is… we need to clearance the tension rod bracket a touch, possibly a universal poly swaybar mount would work, may need custom, and there needs to be a custom endlink solution

For the endlink, the easiest would be welding a strap with a hole in it on the rear edge of the control arm with a 12mm hole in it (z33/g35 bar uses m12 endlinks not m10 like ours), the z33 endlink could then be used

Originally posted by NissanEgg View Post
    Are they still available? How much are they and where can I purchase one? I flipped through the NISMO catalog and didn't see anything.

Originally posted by G-E View Post
    The update is… we need to clearance the tension rod bracket a touch, possibly a universal poly swaybar mount would work, may need custom, and there needs to be a custom endlink solution

For the endlink, the easiest would be welding a strap with a hole in it on the rear edge of the control arm with a 12mm hole in it (z33/g35 bar uses m12 endlinks not m10 like ours), the z33 endlink could then be used
    Hmmmm. More fab work than I'd like to do, I think.
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

It's not serious, but I have a lot of other things that need sorting out before I work on it, so for now it's a todo list item, nothing more

Originally posted by frostvectron View Post
    Hey G-E, any update on this project? I am finding that I need a stiffer front swaybar. I'm currently running a 25mm addco (I think) bar. It needs to be bigger.
    I'd be hesitant to replace solid 1" bars with hollow bars that are 1.5" thick. The addcos are probably actually stiffer. Remember, larger dia. sway bar doesn't always mean stiffer.

Not sure about yours, but if my suspension were stiffer anywhere it'd be too stiff. Theres already virtually zero body roll. If you're trying to balance the car, try adjusting your coilover dampers. You can also adjust weight balance with different preloading and such. Or make the rear sway bar smaller if you're getting too much over steer.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Originally posted by G-E View Post
    It's not serious, but I have a lot of other things that need sorting out before I work on it, so for now it's a todo list item, nothing more
    Ah, has more to do with SCCA rules. Swaybars are unlimited but I can't change mounting points or modify the lca for swaybar attachment points.

Originally posted by michaelp View Post
    I'd be hesitant to replace solid 1" bars with hollow bars that are 1.5" thick. The addcos are probably actually stiffer. Remember, larger dia. sway bar doesn't always mean stiffer.

Not sure about yours, but if my suspension were stiffer anywhere it'd be too stiff. Theres already virtually zero body roll. If you're trying to balance the car, try adjusting your coilover dampers. You can also adjust weight balance with different preloading and such. Or make the rear sway bar smaller if you're getting too much over steer.
    On street tires the current suspension stiffness was perfect. On race rubber the front is rolling too much. I am lifting the inner rear tire on cornering. I need to go up in spring rates and get the stiffest front bar that I can find.
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

Originally posted by NissanEgg View Post
    Lies, pg 19 http://www.nissanusa.com/nismo-web/N…talog-2012.pdf

Unless you have the in, then let me know
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

I will have to dig up the part number. Still have the box it came in. My Nissan employee discount was $98 shipped, but that was in 2011. Solid steel bar. Either made by ST or ADDCO. It's painted black out of the box. When I bought it there were still a dozen or so still in inventory.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold

The g35 bar is 34mm and hollow…

What is the thickness of the hollow sway bar? Hollowing out a cylinder doesn't reduce the torsional stiffness by very much.

Assuming you have a 26mm diameter solid sway bar, a hollow 34mm diameter sway bar would only need a wall thickness of about 1.7mm to produce the same torsional stiffness. With that wall thickness and diameter you would keep the same torsional stiffness while reducing the weight of the bar (assuming they are the same approximate length) by about 67%.....

Of course if the walls are too thin, you have issues if they ever become loaded in bending, which they experience a bit of around the bushing mounting points.