Mustang springs

• Mustang springs

I know some people have used misc. spring combinations on their z31 including mustang rear springs. my question is would front 2000 mustang gt springs at a spring rate of 450 be too stiff for the back of a 1986 Z31 N/A. I have a pair off of my old mustang just laying around and I was thinking of cutting them to size for the rear.

I hate it when people say this, but I really feel like it's required here. Search noob!

If you type Mustang Springs into the search, this is like the 4th result… http://z31performance.com/showthread…ustang+springs
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

What are you running for front springs?
    450 is pretty stiff. If your fronts are nowhere near as stiff your car will feel wonky in cornering because of the drastic imbalance. Really stiff rear and not so stiff front means the car will be easy to oversteer and not be so stable in hard cornering. What kind of shocks/struts are you running as well? 450 in the rear would require some beefy dampers.

450 lb/in = 8 kg/mm. As comparison, powertrix coilovers are 9kg/mm front and 7kg/mm rear.

I used to run 250 lb/in Mustang Mach 1 springs in the rear with ST springs in the front (see 3rd page of that thread and/or my build thread).
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    SCCA Solo E-Street Prepared #31
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

yea I haven't done any suspension work yet I just have the springs laying around. and the aftermarket springs that are offered for our cars are too soft for my liking. I'm just trying to plan my suspension build on a decent budget. any suggestions would be great.

yep. there was a great write up suggested in the 2nd post here…
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

on the link I was given?

I see everything about rear slings and shocks and that you can even use the rear shocks from a fox body, but not really much about front set up with the mustang springs in the rear

SoberZ31;342630 wrote: I see everything about rear slings and shocks and that you can even use the rear shocks from a fox body, but not really much about front set up with the mustang springs in the rear
    not sure what you're asking here??? the springs do not work in the front, and you asked only about the rear in your first post…

that thread which was linked came to a pretty solid conclusion; the front or rear mustang springs in the rear of the z31 will work, with some cutting to achieve desired heights, and droop limiters on stiffer springs at low height to prevent them from possibly falling out.

yes I understand that. my next question is what spring set up would you suggest pairing in the front of the Z since the mustang springs will only work in the back and most aftermarket springs aren't that stiff

SoberZ31;342637 wrote: yes I understand that. my next question is what spring set up would you suggest pairing in the front of the Z since the mustang springs will only work in the back and most aftermarket springs aren't that stiff
    Have you read the link that was posted yet? From that thread…

Axel kain;283715 wrote: Anyway.......

With the tokicos up front and the rear "c" springs in the rear,
    it has good balance going over bumps. The car sits level, all around better than the cut tokico rears. I also have the blues all around so damping is appropriate.

Haven't launched it yet, but all things considered. Should squat a bit but nothing to bawk about. Took an entrance ramp very spiritedly, and that experience told me I need thicker sways, and LSD. Otherwise the 245 rear tires will be my next traction loss cause.

My 1986 Turbo Build

yea i did read that sorry for the confusion. is there anything stiffer then the tokico springs though. dont care much for a loose feeling car and the spring rates on them arent the best.

Again, read the thread…

michaelp;283554 wrote: Z31 springs:

NA: 136lb front, 140lb rear
    AE: 146lb front, 188lb rear
    86T: 146lb front, 188lb rear
    87-89T: 196lb front, 188lb rear
    Shiro: 207lb front, 224lb rear
    STs: 200lb front, 226lb rear
    Tokicos: 150lb front, 165lb rear
    Z3Rs: 300lb front, 315lb rear

My 1986 Turbo Build

I did and that's why I asked if there are any other stiffer spring options for the front

SoberZ31;342654 wrote: I did and that's why I asked if there are any other stiffer spring options for the front
    What is in that list is what's available. The only thing missing is the Eibach springs. I'm not sure of the rate on those, but I think they are on the softer side.

The only stiffer option would be coilovers. But if you were going to spend the $$ on coils you wouldn't be trying to be cheap by using a set of Mustang springs you have sitting around.

My 1986 Turbo Build

well I just experiment with things then since it seems you are one of those "forum" guys everyone. sorry to pollute the forum, not my intention.