Mustang springs under a z…

• Mustang springs under a z…

I happened to have a box of Ford racing "c" springs from prior endeavors. Fit I think 79-94 or something like that. Fox body springs.

The base diameters of the front and rears are about the same, and will fit over the tit of the z31 rear control arm. My car came with some cut tokico springs in the rear. Sitting at - ground at centerline of wheel, to fender lip - 26 1/4" so just for poops n giggles, I threw the rear springs from the Ford set under my car. Rated at 200/300lb. Car settled and springs popped around into their perches, and it sits right at 26 1/4" on the drivers side and 26" even on the pass side. The springs are close enough to stock to not need any limiting straps either.

So, this gives us another possibility for suspension upgrades.

More to come. The front springs from the set - ~600lb springs. They will be installed and tested at a later date.

Also. More pics to come. Outside …

To clarify. Mustang front and rear springs can fit under the rear of our cars!
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

and shocks too. lol. sneaky nissan!

Wow, this could be a great alternative to scrounging for SS springs! Thanks for posting!

Are these fox body mustang springs hard to come by or are they fairly common? How does it drive?
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    SCCA Solo E-Street Prepared #31
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

frostvectron wrote: Wow, this could be a great alternative to scrounging for SS springs! Thanks for posting!

Are these fox body mustang springs hard to come by or are they fairly common? How does it drive?
    It's a fox body. I am sure they are pretty common. Plus I bet thunderbird/cougar springs work, crown vics and gran marquis too.

Also 302 oil filters fit the VG. I heard 4.6 pistons work but that might be just a rumor.
    Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
    1986 300zx Turbo
    2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
    1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

I knew the shocks were able to switch over with the addition of some washers, but its nice the springs do also.

You said you have 200/300 lb springs, I wonder whats the rebound of our springs.

So the fronts from a mustang will fit the rears? lol
    My Build Thread

862sik wrote: I knew the shocks were able to switch over with the addition of some washers, but its nice the springs do also.

You said you have 200/300 lb springs, I wonder whats the rebound of our springs.

So the fronts from a mustang will fit the rears? lol
    Z31 springs:

NA: 136lb front, 140lb rear
    AE: 146lb front, 188lb rear
    86T: 146lb front, 188lb rear
    87-89T: 196lb front, 188lb rear
    Shiro: 207lb front, 224lb rear
    STs: 200lb front, 226lb rear
    Tokicos: 150lb front, 165lb rear
    Z3Rs: 300lb front, 315lb rear
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

I posted this info in a spring thread a few months ago, the front springs aren't a direct drop in but they will work.

Stock height fox body springs will raise the rear of a z31 1"+, you have to get lowering springs or cut stock springs.

MN12 Thunderbird/Cougar and Panther platform crown vic springs are not the same as mustang springs, 3 completely different cars.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

Excellent info, I'm sure Fox body aftermarket springs are much easier to come by

Now if we could just figure out a way to retrofit the Mustang's awesome T5 tranny to our Z's we would be in business :haha

Gregmatic wrote: Excellent info, I'm sure Fox body aftermarket springs are much easier to come by

Now if we could just figure out a way to retrofit the Mustang's awesome T5 tranny to our Z's we would be in business :haha
    The mustangs awesome T5 that constantly breaks?
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

It's OK, If I were burdened with your knowledge of all things automotive I might have missed the sarcasm too…

[quote]michaelp wrote:
    Originally posted by Gregmatic
    Excellent info, I'm sure Fox body aftermarket springs are much easier to come by

The mustangs awesome T5 that constantly breaks?
    Lol my used t5 lasted longer than the last 4 71c's.
    My Build Thread

Gregmatic wrote:

It's OK, If I were burdened with your knowledge of all things automotive I might have missed the sarcasm too…
    I said it with sarcasm, just…internets. Ya know? :lol:

tko5(6)00 rebuild kit would be fun

Chrisw_2003 wrote: tko5(6)00 rebuild kit would be fun
    until the case explodes, which is the main problem. (seen it happen more than once, on the same car)

Anyway.......

With the tokicos up front and the rear "c" springs in the rear, it has good balance going over bumps. The car sits level, all around better than the cut tokico rears. I also have the blues all around so damping is appropriate.

Haven't launched it yet, but all things considered. Should squat a bit but nothing to bawk about. Took an entrance ramp very spiritedly, and that experience told me I need thicker sways, and LSD. Otherwise the 245 rear tires will be my next traction loss cause.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic