Mustang springs under a z…

Axel kain wrote: No. They were wrapped around the coil. Like to keep it in place/ prevent bind noise maybe. Iirc the fronts get those.
    those thick bushes are basically what we call spring seats.
    then you can get the wraps that go from top to bottom which prevent the squeaky noise to a certain extent. but the ones you are talking about are most likely the really thick ones that go around the first or second coil, max.

question, do the MFP spring seats and upper isolators fit as well?

[quote]manrossdamn wrote: [quote=1sikz]
    Originally posted by Axel kain

To clarify. Mustang front and rear springs can fit under the rear of our cars!

From the first post

Edit: I'm assuming that you're asking if they fit the front of our cars?
    Yeah, I was wondering if the the springs effectively work in the front, as do the rear as ours are weirdly made.
    Thanks for confirming, I might do this
    It is not known if they will fit on the front of a Z31. Give 'er a try and let us know!
    Originally posted by adamvann3
    Hmm I normally jack off my rear x-member.

I wouldn't expect them to fit the front. Not without maybe using the do it yourself coilover stuff.

From what I've found the fronts are more tightly wound and thicker metal is used I believe. So I am currently running the rears - 200/300's

The seats should work with these springs.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

85NA2T wrote: I'm pretty sure if had more and tighter coils compared to the others,they would be softer of the two.I like to think of them as a torsion bar.a longer torsion bar is easier to twist than a shorter one.like when you cut a spring,you are effectively raising the spring rate.but if your happy with them,that's all that matters! And I give you props for finding more spring options for us. :super

EDIT- it also depends on the wire diameter between the two sets also.do you have pics of the springs you installed?
    Spring Rate= G x d to the 4th power / 8 x N x D to the 3rd power
    G = torsional modules for steel (constant for all STEEL 11,250,000)
    d= wire diameter in inches
    N= active number of coils ( needs a little judgement on your part)
    D= Mean coil diameter in inches
    8= consant for all springs

11,250,000 x .62 x .62 x .62 x .62 = 1,662,337
    8 x 10 x 5.0 x 5.0 x 5.0 =10,000
    1,662,337 / 10,000 = 166lbs-in

Take the same formula and remove one coil and you get

11,250,000 x .62 x .62 x .62 x.62=1,662,337
    8 x 9 x 5.0 .5.0 x 5.0 =9000
    1,662,337 / 9000 = 187 lbs-in
    http://www.zcar.com/70-83_tech_discussi … 361.0.html
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Axel kain wrote: I wouldn't expect them to fit the front. Not without maybe using the do it yourself coilover stuff.

From what I've found the fronts are more tightly wound and thicker metal is used I believe. So I am currently running the rears - 200/300's

The seats should work with these springs.
    how have your rear mustang springs been treating you?

I bought a pair that I need to install but will have to wait until the autocross season is over (don't want to get bumped out of my class in the final stretch).

I found this page which might be helpful:

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/springs_calcs.htm

Also, the rear springs from the Ford Racing "B" and "C" kits appear to be identical. I picked up a pair of from the Mach 1 mustang. Will report back on fitment in a month or so!
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    SCCA Solo E-Street Prepared #31
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

the mustang rears were a bit too soft for my liking, letting the rear squat too much. so, I tossed in the front's and had to cut a coil and a quarter off to keep the same ride height. i recently got my bilsteins on - better than tokico, but still somewhat slow/weak over the bigger bumps. I need to make control arm limiters with these springs in - to be safe.

if I roll on the throttle during a turn just right, I can get the rear to kick out nicely - non LSD btw. although my tires suck.

planning a hyperdrive at VIR on oct.13, so if it all works out with going there -- need tires! haha. I'll see about letting you guys know. this thing is so much more secure feeling, less squat under throttle, and more predictability in the corners!

I'll try and remember to get pics of the springs when I can!

sigpic

Alright! Update on my end.

I bought a pair of the Mach 1 mustang springs (see http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/springs_calcs.htm). The rears are 250 lb/in.

The unsprung length is 11 3/4" including the rubber seat on top.

On my 86 NA with 87T springs, my ride heights were:

Passenger Rear: 27.25"
    Driver Rear: 27.75"

After putting in the Mach1 springs and driving for 15 minutes around the neighborhood, my ride heights were:

Passenger Rear: 26.25"
    Driver Rear: 26.75"

1" drop! Now I just need to install my front pair of ST's and see if they match…

EDIT: measurements were taken @ centerline of wheel from ground to fender.
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

nice, and I forgot about that chart. I did the same measurement to get the 26" using the front "Ford Motorsport C" springs cut to fit. rears sat at that height from the get go!

sigpic

Once we find some springs that will work in the front, this may actually be relevant to finding aftermarket springs. :nanan?re
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

It's plenty relevant for people (like me) that want discontinued aftermarket springs (STs, Z3Rs, etc.) and could only find the front pair secondhand. If they were available I would have much rather just gotten the whole set :-?.
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

I don't understand how people manage to only end up with just front or just rear springs when they're sold in sets of 4…lol

¯_(?)_/¯

lol. but you're right, some more options for stiff front springs would be very nice! Thanks to the find with the fox body springs, there is a very wide range of stiffnesses available for the rear (from 200 lb up to 650 or higher).
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

michaelp wrote: I don't understand how people manage to only end up with just front or just rear springs when they're sold in sets of 4…lol
    From other people mixing and matching springs to get the ride/look to their liking, then selling the leftovers.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build