Starting problem.. Help!!!

• Starting problem.. Help!!!

'86 N/A

Z is not starting… battery is fine, alternator is new, starter is new, also recently replaced power cable from battery to starter with a new one. When I turn ignition it just goes "Click".... I took the new starter off and had it re-tested and it is good. Fuses are good. I swapped out the fuse relays for replacements and no change. Car almost left me stranded and I had to pop start it to get home. What am I missing here?

HELP!

We need more information.

DOES THE STARTER SOLENOID 'CLICK' while the motor doesn't engage? (attempt)

if not

Is your NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH PEDAL BUTTON intact and engaging? (inspect)

if not

do you have SPARK? (troubleshooting in FSM)

do you have FUEL? (troubleshooting in FSM)

I

check your ground
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

Originally posted by 88sinZ View Post
    We need more information.

DOES THE STARTER SOLENOID 'CLICK' while the motor doesn't engage? (attempt)

if not

Is your NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH PEDAL BUTTON intact and engaging? (inspect)

if not

do you have SPARK? (troubleshooting in FSM)

do you have FUEL? (troubleshooting in FSM)

I
    The solenoid DOES "click" when key is turned.

I do have spark

I do have fuel

Originally posted by shromy View Post
    check your ground
    Ok, do u mean where the negative cable is attached on the tranny?

yes. if you have a dvom you can check end to end (batt to trans) it should ohm to 0. you either have a loose connection or bad ground location. Single click is usually the ground or the solenoid itself.
    Hmmm, Whats next?

84ZXT

ground seemed fine but I changed out the negative cable for a new one anyway and still no change. I did jump the power from the small wire off the starter to the battery and the engine does turn over, so this tells me it may be the ignition. A new set with keys is $300.00 from advance auto.

the fact that it clicks tells you that start signal is coming into the starter, ie the switch is good. very strange. you can test for 12v at the small start signal wire when trying to crank it would be the next look. may be a wire issue from end to end coming from the switch.
    Hmmm, Whats next?

84ZXT

ok, thank you. I will test the small wire for voltage.

If your starter solinoid 'CLICKS' and the starter doesn't engauge, your neutral safety switch button is intact, you have fuel, and you have spark....my first thought would be a shorted starter motor and I would suggest replacing the starter. Checking you wiring as Shroomy suggested is much cheaper - don't forget YOUR FSM HAS TROUBLESHOOTING FOR THESE ISSUES!!! it's saved me hundreds of dollars over the years, use the information they've provided!!!!

If the starter motor was shorted, I don't think that jumping the solenoid on the starter would allow the engine to turn over. I agree with 88sinZ, use the EL section to test starter magnetic switch and check wire connections. A bad connection can read correct voltage, but not be able to support the amperage draw required to activate the mag switch. I would check the "B" connection to the battery because if you were able to jump the "B" to "M" and get motor to spin, the problem is probably there. However, if you jumped "S" to "B" and it spun then its a problem with the switch circuit from the ignition. Take your time and check everything methodically, you WILL find the issue. Best troubleshooting advice I ever got was never assume the last guy who was in there did it right, especially if that guy was you!
    Good luck and keep us posted!
    Butter (credit where credit is due): "You have this "gift" where you can make cooking a Hot Pocket seem like you need a certain wavelength microwave and involve brown mustard."

Ok I did remove the starter and had it re-tested to rule that out. The starter tested good at the store. I haven't had a chance to test the small wire yet. I will post results. Also I do not have an FSM, only an old ragged Haynes.

Also, the car does start occasionally, but only when it wants to and only on a blue moon on a leap year and if I shaved that day and if it didn't rain etc....
    Last edited by nater86zx; 06-17-2016, 05:31 AM.

Just do a google search on Z31 FSM, there WILL be a link somewhere that you can download it.
    Butter (credit where credit is due): "You have this "gift" where you can make cooking a Hot Pocket seem like you need a certain wavelength microwave and involve brown mustard."

The wire from the ignition to the solenoid was bad. I replaced it and no problems yet.

glad you got it sorted
    Hmmm, Whats next?

84ZXT