4th Time my Z has caught fire (injectors again)

• 4th Time my Z has caught fire (injectors again)

*EDIT* I still love my Z despite this ongoing crap

In Australia we didn't get the recall and i'm sick of going about my daily driving-life to have it catch fire again and again and scare the living daylights out of me. This time the second I fired the engine it started, it looked like it was near/around the first and second injectors (opposites to eachother). Very little damage other than a burnt connector and lead, but i can see a very suspicious crack in the hose join on the other side of the fuel rail.

I've heard that you do not have to run the car to find the leak just pressureize the fuel line to find it. How do I do this? Auto-priming it won't do it will it?

turn the key to on

OK So here's the damage. Two injector connectors (actually 1 and 3) were burnt out, and one injector lead was scorched. Nothing major like i was afraid of. So i didn't find any evident fuel leaks at all, I disconnected the two injector connectors that were burnt out and ran the car on 4 cyl for a while with no trouble, there was nothing to suggest it was caused by a fuel leak, i'm thinking it was electrical because it caught fire the MOMENT i started my Z the other day, it was instantaneous in other words.

As a diagnostic, I temporarilly crimped two new connectors on and held them in place with electrical tape. Started the car, runs fine, no issues at all on idle or increasing the rpm. I ran it for about ten minutes and couldn't smell any fuel or see any evident faults, using a torch. I don't know if I should risk driving just yet?

One last issue - When I was doing a diagnostic I bumped this sensor (see below image) and the metal tab that should be join to the sensor came off with it's lead. So i have no way of joining it back together. What the hell is this sensor used for?!

Engine Coolant Temp, on your gauge.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

if it caught fire before, it will do it again. To me it sounds like a perfect time to upgrade injectors, or at the very least, buy some post-recall injectors from someone in the states here. I have a set of post recall NA injectors, but if your car is a turbo model, that wont do you much good :-/

Buy 6 new injectors and be done. No more worries.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

buy new injectors or get Nistune and upgrade them. Replace all of the fuel lines with fuel inj. hose. Use the Nissan hose clamps. Also get new connectors and solder and heat shrink them on.
    You can pressurize the fuel system by disconnecting the blue plug under the rear carpet by the fuel pump, and put battery power on the plug going to the fuel pump.
    Shiro #443

Damn dude, if I saw this sooner I woulda sent you new injectors for free (you pay shipping lol)… Had my recall done and then did an NA2T I tried to get rid of them for quite some time, ended up throwing them out along with a ton of other Z shit I had that enver went anywhere
    1989 300ZX 2+2 N/A GLL
    Auto to Manual Swap
    NA2T Complete

I would have replaced my injectors after the first time… what are you waiting for?
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

BLOZ UP wrote: I would have replaced my injectors after the first time… what are you waiting for?
    The 5th time…

[quote]NissanXRMA wrote:
    Originally posted by BLOZ UP
    I would have replaced my injectors after the first time… what are you waiting for?
    The 5th time…
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

thats the way all hondas should end up. and what body kit is that on his z. i LOVE that front bumper

http://www.neospeed.freeforums.org
    1985 300zx n/a Regretfully Retired
    1997 240sx srdet Sadfully Sold
    (!Attention!) If you have an 85 - 89 thats not stripped out a shell rolling body preferred contact me at330 328 2789 (ask for rick)

wait..... You have been using the same injectors and hoping for a different outcome?

http://www.darwinawards.com/

maybe god is trying to make sure you dont have kids :|

just change the damn things and re wire it, if you can do all the repairs you have done on your car, putting in new wiring and injector plumbing should be cake

Bro, your car is too nice to hope it doesn't catch on fire. Specially when a set of used Turbo injectors go for $50 tops used. Stop messing around and change them.

Am I the only one that thinks leaky injectors are not your only problem?

A cracked insulator on one of your plug wires is probably what's causing the fuel to be ignited.