squeaking wheel when coasting **FIXED

• squeaking wheel when coasting **FIXED

When coasting I hear a squeaking coming from my passenger side (sounds like crickets). I jacked the car up today, and spun the front passenger wheel and observed no noise. I then jacked up the rear, put the car in neutral and let the ebrake down (the front wheels were chocked) and I found it very hard to spin the rear passenger wheel. Seems that the noise will go away when I reach about 25-30mph and over.

I took off the rear caliper (2 14mm pins) and the pads to inspect them, and they still had plenty of meat on them. I then retracted the piston rebolted in the pins, and put the wheel back on, and still I get the squeal. Is it possible that my ebrake cable is just too tight and not allowing my back wheels to spin freely.

The fronts were very easy, and if I gave them a good spin, they still would travel (a la the wheel on the price is right), however, I could not say the same for the rears. Not sure if this is how it is supposed to be on a drive wheel or not.

Thoughts of what else I should check?

Here are 2 vids I posted if this helps diagnose (first vid is a low speed roll, second is with a bit faster speeds)
    [youtube:utxif8cg]TbI3nKNZuGQ[/youtube:utxif8cg][youtube:utxif8cg]DSYaGT8bHnY[/youtube:utxif8cg]

Re: squeaking wheel when coasting (approx 20mph and below)

start by making sure that the wheel lug nuts are on tight.
    Shiro #443

Will do, I'll go around tomorrow and make sure they are all torqued to spec.

[youtube:30oz09mi]Qh9cUAXxMIg[/youtube:30oz09mi]

The rear wheel bearings like to make a squeal when they have failed. Video gives basic info on checking one. Any movement indicates a failure.
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

It sounds like a warped rotor. But the sound don't match.
    Originally posted by michaelp
    I tell them that everyday, "thats a good lifter…good lifter. You want a treat? Oil change next week." But on the other hand, the headgasket is a bad headgasket. Hes always leaking out in my cylinders, making a mess on the cars behind me with all that coolant. So I discipline it with 6,600rpm burnouts.

it sounds like something with the pads or the shims that hold it. Also check that the pad retainers arent rubbing against the rotor. Sometimes they shift or bend.

As for the wheel being hard, it can be the ebrake. You can release the cable and see if it still grips.
    My Build Thread

Well, I tightened all 4 wheels, and they are all snug and to tq spec.
    I then lifted up the car and each wheel on the passenger side had no play, so I don't think it is the bearings.

I think indeed it may be the brakes in the rear.
    I just ordered a pair of redstuff for the fronts, and just ordered a set for the rear, might try to replace the 'brackets' which hold the pads in place as maybe those are bent a bit and causing the pads to rub a bit and causing the squeal.

that is a dragging sound
    like something is scraping the brake rotor
    1984 300ZX - 1988 VG30T Engine, Trans, Diff, ECU
    1987 300ZX TURBO - ( Parts Car ), 1988 300ZX TURBO - ( Parts Car )
    1972 240Z -- Full restore - L28ET L6 Engine from 280zx, T-5 transmission, Rear diff from the 87
    1998 Mazda B-2500, And a lot of bikes

I checked the back of the rotor, and blew some air in there to try and free it loose. I did take both pins out of the rotor, to free up the rotor somewhat (the rotor bracket was still in place) to try and knock whatever would be there loose.

Due to my wheels which are pretty open (5 spoke), thought maybe I caught a small rock/pebble in there. When my new pads come in, I'll be sure to give it a full spin and a closer look.

Took the wheel back off today (passenger side rear; and I took a cracked a wheel stud in the process), put it in neutral ebrake off, and when I spin the wheel you can hear the noise.

This time I took off the caliper, and the bracket which holds the caliper, and inspected the rotor, and it seemed to be ok. Assembled it again, and the sound came back. Not sure what the heck it is. Add a wheel stud to the list of things I need to do when changing the rear pads now :lol:

Your not going to see anything just by looking at the rotor. You got to watch while its making the noise. Did you try and take the caliper off then spun the rotor? Does it make any noise? How about load the pads on the caliper bracket with no caliper and spin it?

If you hear the sound the issue is there…and its super doubtfully its a bearing. A bearing squeaking like that would have other issues associated with it.

Also look straight from the side of the rotor and note the clearence of the rotor to the pad retainers....it may of gotten tweaked and is barley rubbing.
    My Build Thread

I didn't have any tools to measure the thickness of the rotor at different parts, was looking for some obvious scoring of sorts.
    I took the caliper off and spun the rotor, but then it is kinda wobbly.

When I had both the caliper and rotor off and spun the hub assembly, no sound could be heard.
    Then with the rotor and caliper back on, the squeak came back. I think once I pop on a new set of pads in the rear, I hope the noise will go away.

On a side note, can I just pop the wheel stud out (with rotor removed) and then put the new one in (and thread the lugnut to pull it to a "seated/inserted" position)?

thats how i do mine

st32781 wrote: I didn't have any tools to measure the thickness of the rotor at different parts, was looking for some obvious scoring of sorts.
    I took the caliper off and spun the rotor, but then it is kinda wobbly.

When I had both the caliper and rotor off and spun the hub assembly, no sound could be heard.
    Then with the rotor and caliper back on, the squeak came back. I think once I pop on a new set of pads in the rear, I hope the noise will go away.
    Thickness, WHO CARES! You have a squeak. Thickness isnt an issue.

Look if you had the caliper and rotor off…and you heard no noise, well then its not the bearing (i knew that already, duh). You put the rotor and the caliper back on, and you heard the noise. DUDE LOOK AT THE STUFF. Dont just take things off and put it on. Put just the caliper bracket on and see if it squeaks. Unlikley. Then put the pads on the caliper bracket WITHOUT the caliper, put a little pressure and spin the rotor…you will probably hear a sound.

But if you didnt check the obvious, look at the wear indicator on the pads, if its the same thickness of the pads then there is your issue.

The answer is in front of you, you have to do more investigating to find out what it is.
    My Build Thread

Brake pads are worn. There is usually a metal tab that is attached to the pads that make that noise when your pads get down to about 1/4 thickness. Break off that tab and see if the problem persists.
    Pads are cheap enough you should just replace them anyway.
    Most auto parts stores will check the thickness for you and turn them if needed.