squeaking wheel when coasting **FIXED

Re: squeaking wheel when coasting (approx 20mph and below)

[quote]862sik wrote:
    Originally posted by st32781
    I didn't have any tools to measure the thickness of the rotor at different parts, was looking for some obvious scoring of sorts.
    I took the caliper off and spun the rotor, but then it is kinda wobbly.

When I had both the caliper and rotor off and spun the hub assembly, no sound could be heard.
    Then with the rotor and caliper back on, the squeak came back. I think once I pop on a new set of pads in the rear, I hope the noise will go away.

Thickness, WHO CARES! You have a squeak. Thickness isnt an issue.

Look if you had the caliper and rotor off…and you heard no noise, well then its not the bearing (i knew that already, duh). You put the rotor and the caliper back on, and you heard the noise. DUDE LOOK AT THE STUFF. Dont just take things off and put it on. Put just the caliper bracket on and see if it squeaks. Unlikley. Then put the pads on the caliper bracket WITHOUT the caliper, put a little pressure and spin the rotor…you will probably hear a sound.

But if you didnt check the obvious, look at the wear indicator on the pads, if its the same thickness of the pads then there is your issue.

The answer is in front of you, you have to do more investigating to find out what it is.
    That's what I did, I dissassembled it all and put the wheel back on without the lugs after assembling it piece by piece. It only squeals when both the pads and calipers are on. With just the pads and no caliper the noise is gone.

Like I said I will replace the rear pads and my now broken wheel stud and go from there.

ExtremeAtheist wrote: Brake pads are worn. There is usually a metal tab that is attached to the pads that make that noise when your pads get down to about 1/4 thickness. Break off that tab and see if the problem persists.
    Pads are cheap enough you should just replace them anyway.
    Most auto parts stores will check the thickness for you and turn them if needed.
    On the shim? Didn't think of checking this (where there isn't enough meat on the pads, so its the metal on metal.)

[quote]st32781 wrote: [quote=862sik]
    Originally posted by st32781
    I didn't have any tools to measure the thickness of the rotor at different parts, was looking for some obvious scoring of sorts.
    I took the caliper off and spun the rotor, but then it is kinda wobbly.

When I had both the caliper and rotor off and spun the hub assembly, no sound could be heard.
    Then with the rotor and caliper back on, the squeak came back. I think once I pop on a new set of pads in the rear, I hope the noise will go away.

Thickness, WHO CARES! You have a squeak. Thickness isnt an issue.

Look if you had the caliper and rotor off…and you heard no noise, well then its not the bearing (i knew that already, duh). You put the rotor and the caliper back on, and you heard the noise. DUDE LOOK AT THE STUFF. Dont just take things off and put it on. Put just the caliper bracket on and see if it squeaks. Unlikley. Then put the pads on the caliper bracket WITHOUT the caliper, put a little pressure and spin the rotor…you will probably hear a sound.

But if you didnt check the obvious, look at the wear indicator on the pads, if its the same thickness of the pads then there is your issue.

The answer is in front of you, you have to do more investigating to find out what it is.

That's what I did, I dissassembled it all and put the wheel back on without the lugs after assembling it piece by piece. It only squeals when both the pads and calipers are on. With just the pads and no caliper the noise is gone.

Like I said I will replace the rear pads and my now broken wheel stud and go from there.
    because there is pressure when the caliper is on. Thats why I said put a little pressure on it, but also check the metal tab. The metal tab is a warning sign that the pad is getting thin. It wont damage the rotor but it will create a noise like what you heard

similar to this
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-part … brake4.htm
    My Build Thread

To close the loop on this, put on a new set of rear brake pads and no more squeak
    We'll see how long these Autozone Duramax Gold pads last.

My front redstuffs should be coming in today too.

so, the pad was worn?

AUtozone pads have a lifetime warrenty. Wear it down, take it back and they give you another set. I run the golds (new cmax) and they are decent and nice. I havent paid for pads for the last 7 years. All my cars run duralasts.
    My Build Thread

Re: squeaking wheel when coasting **FIXED

862sik wrote: so, the pad was worn?

AUtozone pads have a lifetime warrenty. Wear it down, take it back and they give you another set. I run the golds (new cmax) and they are decent and nice. I havent paid for pads for the last 7 years. All my cars run duralasts.
    It appears so, new pads, no squeak. Didn't know about the warranty, thanks for the heads up

Seems the noise has come back.

I've taken the passenger side wheels off dozens of times, and removed the caliper and pads (even tried swapping the pads from the driver's side, as well as putting on brand new rear pads; to no avail).

Getting this odd noise when coasting at low speeds:
    [youtube:26vmmdyg]CgzR3omw3pY[/youtube:26vmmdyg]

Lube everything.lube on the slides,on the pad itself where it slides on the anti rattle clip.also doesn't hurt to apply some one the caliper sides of the pads.oh and use a silicone based lube so it stays put.
    "If your car cant do a burnout from a 60mph rolling start, then your engine needs more work."

"Nitrous doesn't blow up motors; Idiots with nitrous blow up motors."

Shooting for 500whp

85NA2T wrote: Lube everything.lube on the slides,on the pad itself where it slides on the anti rattle clip.also doesn't hurt to apply some one the caliper sides of the pads.oh and use a silicone based lube so it stays put.
    Thanks will do. Last time I took the calipers off I put some lube into the caliper pins but didn't put it anywhere else.

I USED to have a constant problem with brake squeal/ funky noises after doing a brake job.

I tried this product years ago and love it! Never had an issue since. I think it's Permatex brand.

Good Luck!
    Everything is Meaningless.

PulseCode wrote: I USED to have a constant problem with brake squeal/ funky noises after doing a brake job.

I tried this product years ago and love it! Never had an issue since. I think it's Permatex brand.

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll give that a shot. That indeed may be it, I think the pads may be rubbing on the cylinder in the caliper and causing the noise.

Quick follow-up on this. Looks to be fixed once again. As per pulsecode's suggestion, I used this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Industries…sc+brake+quiet and it seemed to fix my issue.

Hopefully the noise will not come back again.