No fire?? Wont start

• No fire?? Wont start

My 1986 300zx has been having trouble and now it wont start at all. Before it would start up sometimes run a minute or two than die. Now it wont start at all. I have checked for fire and wasnt getting any so i started replacing parts. I bought a new Ignition Coil and than checked it for power and there was none. What would not be letting my Ignition Coil get power? Is this the Power Transistor and if so where is that ive heard of it and i cant seem to find it.

Power transistor is right beside the coil.
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

Do you think this is the problem?

So you have +12v at the coil with the key on or no?
    sigpic

no

Originally posted by Butter
    So you have +12v at the coil with the key on or no?
    No my dad and I took a multimeter to it and it read nothing. I believe we had it right but we couldnt get it to read any power.

Check fusable links by the battery. Use continuity test with meter because you can't tell by looking if they're blown. Sometimes they feel soft though.
    sigpic

Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key. That means power is going to the ECU and CAS. There is a 15A fuse that sends 12V directly to the coil, check it…good? Pull it and test for voltage on the supply pin (fuse take juice one pin to the other). After that it's the ignition switch then fusible link.
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

Originally posted by Augustus Maximus View Post
    Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key. That means power is going to the ECU and CAS. There is a 15A fuse that sends 12V directly to the coil, check it…good? Pull it and test for voltage on the supply pin (fuse take juice one pin to the other). After that it's the ignition switch then fusible link.

Okay cool, Yea i hear the fuel pump prime and the ECU make its noises. I have checked the fuses behind the kick panel under the dash and have replaced a few, im thinking i have replaced the 15A your talking about but havnt checked for voltage or anything. I also have not checked the fusible links by the battery for any voltages. .... I've replaced tons on the car and had it driving for awhile and this happened and its just not getting fire to start … ill be sure to check what you guys have said so far

I am diagnosing an identical issue on my 84 AE. I won't muddle the thread. Just a question on procedure : To test the links, you take it out, test for resistance/continuity between the two ends? I am not very good with my multimeter, mostly use it to test volts.

As I have seen this kind of thread in several places, maybe a checklist with order of propensity to fail (most likely to less likely) would help. Also, simple checks on top. So far I got

1. ECU Fuse and fuel pump fuse by driver kickpanel
    2. Fusible link check by battery
    3. 12v at coil (which terminal)?

I just sent for a coil (I think the one in there is the original), but the power transistor is $$$ so I would like to make sure before spending on that.

A used power transistor isn't that expensive, and it's an opportunity for a cheap, easy engine management upgrade:

http://z31performance.com/showthread…ansistor-Unit)

You can get a used PRW-2 on eBay for like $10.
    Zoey - 1987 Z31T GLL - HKS EVC / CM SS 3" turbo-back / Stance GR+
    Black Betty - 2014 Audi C7 S6 APR1

Thanks, outstanding link. I had not searched for that yet.

For quickness, I might go tomorrow AM pickup a couple used ones at my U-Pull-It. Then I can get a new one later.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by Parker View Post
    A used power transistor isn't that expensive, and it's an opportunity for a cheap, easy engine management upgrade:

http://z31performance.com/showthread…ansistor-Unit)

You can get a used PRW-2 on eBay for like $10.

I seem to be getting voltage to all these places … I just dont understand, the car sounds healthy when your cranking … The weird thing is when i let my car sit for a few days and i hook up the battery and crank it the first time it begins to start and like you can hear the car coming alive and it struggles than dies like immediately not even a few seconds … Than you crank it again and its nothing just a healthy battery cranking the engine but it dosnt fire up … and another strange thing is if i crank the car for awhile idk if its suppose to do this but it makes a beeping noise and it sounds like when you turn the car off and the ecu and stuff shuts down, but i have a new ECU so im pretty positive it cant be that … im clueles, should i go ahead and buy a PTU and give it a shot or what?

Have you tried shooting some starter fluid down it's throat when you crank it?
    1986 NA - Purchased by me in December 1985
    Working on VG33 - NA to Turbo
    Tokico Illuminas w/ Eibach Springs
    88SS Sways

No i havnt really tried that. Sounds like a good idea though … pretty much the whole story was i had the car driving fine pretty much and was cruising around and than my gas meter isnt exactly lined up i guess and ran out of gas … so i rolled into a gas station and it wouldnt start after that … but whats weird was i parked it and came back few hours later and got it running VERY ROUGH and it was coughing and stuff and died several times while driving and got it home cause i wasnt far but before you say any fuel related stuff i looked into everything about the fuel and i got fuel and have fine fuel pressure cause ive already checked it and bought new fuel lines and filters and all that jazz … but if this story has gave you guys anymore ideas what could be wrong … i feel like its gotta be spark issues specially cause my dad checked and its just not sparking …

And by throat means the intake right??? Im sorta a noob, i love cars and am learning quickly but shes my first own car and i probably picked a bad car to learn on cause 300zx are insane