Injector Leak AGAIN (URGENT)

• Injector Leak AGAIN (URGENT)

I tend to hate when people post threads with "Urgent" and "Help" in the title. But what's just happened to me yet again was the last thing on my mind, so i'm damn frustrated.

Remember my engine fires last year? Two of them. Both caused from a leaky injector. Well two days ago i discovered that my front (stage) left injector is leaking from the top of the fuel rail down onto the lead… so it's not a faulty injector. Can somebody help me with the following?

From the moment I start the car, it starts to leak, slowly, not spurting. But surely leaking, eventually saturating the lead and eventually the injector. It smells pretty strong, and I must have been driving around with it for days at least - i'd noticed the smell but more or less ignored it.

I have to drive it to the auto-electricians tomorrow morning (last time i fixed it myself by pulling the manifold off and blah blah, but screw that this time around), should it make the drive without catching fire?

The solution? I'm assuming leaking fuel lead/line. Can you change it without removing the intake?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

My opinion is to remove everything, sit down and replace all the 5/16 injection fuel line.(make sure you use fuel injection line)

you can see the barb there is pretty long (almost to the middle of the hose), you can get an FI-6 or an FI-8 fuel clamp and try and put it on there, but experience tells me you will need an Asian mechanic friend with small hands, a woman with even smaller hands, or remove the manifold.

Alternatively, some ppl do not use the umbrella clamp hats, they use FI-clamps throughout the entire rail.

It's a bitch to get all those injector hoses off, I know that… but I'm glad I replaced mine with all new hose.

DO NOT rule out the possibility of your fuel rail's barb junction being cracked and leaking before it even sees the hose barb.

Good thoughts. Yeah last time i had the fires, i replaced ALL hoses with brand new fuel injection hose. Thanks so far, i'm sure they'll diagnose it tomorrow.

I'm more concerned about the likelyhood of it catching fire on the way to the place in the morning. It's about a 10 min drive. What does it take to ignite…warmed up engine…? dripping on the exhaust lines…? I can't figure out what ignites it and i'm scared i'll make the problem worse. The car drives and performs fine, minus this quite prominent leak.

I have never lit gas from hot exhaust but that does not mean it is not possible…I would say that the fuel ran down into a spark plug port and caught a spark leak and ignited.

I took the inlet off myself to change it last year, and it took me almost a whole day. I'd never accomplished anything like that as far as mechanics goes before. But i've been told that the labour is a 5 hour job. I don't think this is right, because if i had to do it again, it'd take me half the time, which is about 5 hours. These guys get paid to do it every day. Surely they'd have learnt a few timely tricks.

So i guess if i do it this way, i'm just going to have to be prepared to lose higher sums. I just don't have the energy or confidence that i've diagnosed it right.

A leaking injector is a fire hazard. Carry an extinguisher on your drive to the mechanics.

And this is a repair. Non performance related.
    "produce first.talk second."

Cheers, i have my extinguisher ready and armed. I hope i wont have to use it! Fingers crossed.

Eyspire wrote: What does it take to ignite…warmed up engine…? dripping on the exhaust lines…?
    your spark plugs are not too far from your injectors. god forbid you have a tiny misfire that you don't feel, or a crack in one of the wires, and it happens to ignite a vapor that's just whisking around with every pulse.

gas doesn't burn. gas vapors burn.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

DeleriousZ wrote: gas doesn't burn. gas vapors burn.
    Either way, Z's burn. :-(

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

DeleriousZ wrote: gas doesn't burn. gas vapors burn.
    hence why i stated vapors. lol.

ya'i know, i just like to see my name pop up beside text.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

Loose the crappy hat garbage and just go with a fuel injection clamp. Problem solved.
    Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
    Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

all you would need are about 2 boxes of 10 x FI-6 (i think) clamps, as there are 18 to be used, total.

that will run like 12 bucks, not a bad investment.