An Introduction of sorts…

• An Introduction of sorts…

As it is my first post, I didn't want it to seem like I only registered for help, which case I love the Z31s and the beauty and performance they bear. My name is Jonathan and I've wanted one of these "poor man's Vettes" since I was very young. I bought this one for myself back in 2007, and hadn't looked back since. Had all kinds of restoration work done with her mechanically, just still trying to work out the gremlins before I start cosmetically. I am sad to say, I've only recently discovered these forums (long time lurker at Z31.com, but never got registered over there…), but perhaps I could find my home here.

This is my baby. 1985 NA, automatic. My only regrets… She's in wonderful shape though; no rust or dings. Although my Fairlady does deserve a fresh coat of white paint.

To get to my reasons for posting, I get crappy gas mileage (see 8-10 mpg), and I don't really push it. I have changed the O2 sensor, as well as the filter, and flushed out my tank, to no avail. I've picked up on some info over the past few months of reading older forum posts; I believe some where I've got a vacuum leak/crack/off?

Another trouble I have with my Z is the "factory boost gauge", as it is constantly full. Could this be a timing issue?

I definitely look forward to getting to know you guys, and appreciate your time.
    "This must be Thursday," said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. "I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

Hi.
    Welcome.
    Nice car!

The "boost gauge" is not really a boost gauge. It's a torque meter that's relative to engine vacuum, and it's called the "boost sensor" located near your driver side strut tower near the ignition coil. Check to see that the vacuum line isn't blocked… perhaps a good time to replace all the vac lines anyway. And then check the pins for corrosion or cross-examine using the FSM.

The boost gauge itself is the one off to the right in one of the pods.

I believe he has an NA.

Thank you for the warm welcome. Some more on the car, originally it was an "old lady" car, and then she gave it to her granddaughter, who raced it hard. So it went from little use to heavy use and and the engine was in pretty rough shape.

I've done everything from transmission (hindsight, with I had converted it), to heater core, to radiator, etc… And never really saw a perk in gas.

I'm going to take the recommendation and replace the hoses, so thank you both for the welcome and the advice. Gonna start reading the Haynes right now and see where I stand.

My only wish is that I could find a halfway decent (and honest) mechanic. The last one I went to was a total rip; my father had his truck's tranny rebuilt and all they did was tighten the throwout bearing and charged him $2200. Went back the next week and his shop was closed.
    "This must be Thursday," said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. "I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

Looks clean. Welcome friend.

Thanks for the heads up. The only time my car runs rough is when I first start her up; has a funky idle and occasionally cuts off, just jocked it up to cold morning jitters.

I just ran he ECU, and got codes 23 and 31. Googling around, I've found at least two cases of the same two codes popping up simultaneously. I will keep researching, but I wanted to update with that and this:

While under the dash, I heard a noise. It was faint, but kind of a scathing noise. Might have to turn your speakers up to hear it. Will rerecord it later…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCo6ZE1rct4[/video]]

Any thoughts or comments? Could this be my vacuum leak?

My na got 28 mpg. My turbo running rich and leaking fuel, constantly boosting got 16-18 mpg.

300cars, I got a kick out of your sig.

Because this is constantly full, does it mean the Z is running rich? I haven't checked the hoses, I've gotta stay clean for some party the wife is dragging me to later.

Welcome …

There are 3 (including this one) .. z31 specific forums. Each with a different personality. You mentioned z31.com, the other is 88hybrid.com

A few of us are on all 3 .. some "specialze".
    '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
    PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

Nice lookin' car

:love Thanks for the compliments guys. You don't want to know how much I paid for her. She only had 90k miles when I bought her, and that's all I'm gonna say.

And I've been reading some of the forums on 88hybrid. You guys seemed pretty welcoming to new members so thanks for that.

Once I get her running how I'd like, I'm going to have the seats redone, and then paint her white. As she's not my DD anymore, I can finally give her the attention she rightfully deserves.

Any turbo plans?
    Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
    Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

Matt89 wrote: Any turbo plans?
    One thing at a time! But yes, I have a friend who's been sitting on an 86 turbo for a while now. Doesn't run, and he wants it off his property, likely pick it up pretty cheap as compared to buying the parts… Other than that, that's all I've got planned lol. If you cannot tell, I'm pretty car illiterate. Writing and PCs are more my thing, but give me a manual or tutorial and a will, and I'll find a way.

welcome to the forums! clean car (seen it in person from the previous owner). something no ones seemed to touch on yet… how much does it take to fill your tank from empty?

i thought i was getting around the same mileage in my white 85 and then i realized i had a 19 gallon tank but it only took me 10 gallons to fill it up. bad fuel level sending unit. very common failure in these cars.

From blinking 1 bar, it costs me roughly $45 to fill it. And I get any where from 160-200 miles out of a tank.
    At best, 200 miles / 19 gallons = 10.53 mpg. Note, I do not usually let it drop below a quarter.

Now Price / Kickassery, there's no contest. But poor gas mileage is hard on this unemployed student.

2slick85z31, that's pretty awesome. Do you get over this way often?