Loose Steering

• Loose Steering

Hello
    I have an 87 Z31 I just replaced all "front and rear" shocks/struts with tokico blues "which I hate but its all I could afford". Replaced all bushings with poly including subframe, Ball joints, Inner Tie Rods, New PS rack and hoses with Derlin Right side and Poly L side mounts and it is solid ,Rack doesn't move at all. I have checked and rechecked all poly connections they are tightened correctly and nothing moves but here is what is going on…

When going down the road the upon hitting some uneven parts of the road bumps or dips the wheel that hit the bump or dip pulls that direction and feels kind of loose i guess you would say it is tracking with the road. That would indicate play,,, But from where? I do have a little slack in my steering column "Very Little" maybe like a 1/4 in. So I do know that I will need to replace the steering knuckle with the little U joints in it. but would that translate into that much play at the bottom? Or could it be something else? I guess I will go ahead and replace that steering knuckle first and see if that helps.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check next if that is not the case?

Check the steering column universals. Both my 85T and sister's 85NA went bad back in the 90's. One way to tell if there is excessive steering play is to stand outside the car and move the steering wheel back and forth through out its on center play and watch the front tires. The amount the steering wheel moves before the tire moves is the play in the steering column or possibly steering rack.
    Restore it, Don't crush it. They don't make them like this anymore.

Scott
    85 Turbo, original owner, restored
    93 NA Babied

With new bushings your alignment might have changed, and by the description it sounds like a bit of toe out…

Ok thanks will check that out.

Sorry forgot to add that to the list I did have it aligned after everything was installed.

Originally posted by Keith_D View Post
    Sorry forgot to add that to the list I did have it aligned after everything was installed.
    Did you get an alignment sheet ? possible worth posting it up
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

Possible the rack has too much slop in it. Sometimes you can adjust the preload nut to take out the slop.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

Aha! I did the test as FlyingT suggested, way more play at the bottom as he suspected. So I replace my steering knuckle. Yes my baby u-joints were toast and wow what a difference. In doing that I found another culprit that contributed to the loose feeling, the front strut mounts/bushings, the little center bearings were gone "Where did they go?" "Do they break?" and allowing them to jiggle around and give play. I am just going to replace the whole strut mount/bushing with new ones. The old ones are just that "OLD". I don't see anything else wrong.... Checked everything else in the front SOLID!
    Thanks FlyingT!