The truth about Ebay Turbochargers

yota73 wrote: I know a guy whom has gone through two of these ebay t3/t4 units. I told him not to skimp out when it comes to something that can fail soo easily and throw chunks of metal through your engine, but he never listened to me and had to rebuild his current ebay unit. Funny thing is, even after the rebuild it still blows smoke from the seals.
    are these the cx racing turbos or the other ones?

I have a few friends with the cx-racing T67 and GT35 and they have nothing but good things to say for the price.
    Gone - 1988 Shiro
    2004 BMW 330Ci
    2005 BMW 330i
    1991 Twin Turbo Z's (Red and Black)
    http://www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

[quote]NIVO wrote:
    Originally posted by yota73
    I know a guy whom has gone through two of these ebay t3/t4 units. I told him not to skimp out when it comes to something that can fail soo easily and throw chunks of metal through your engine, but he never listened to me and had to rebuild his current ebay unit. Funny thing is, even after the rebuild it still blows smoke from the seals.

are these the cx racing turbos or the other ones?

I have a few friends with the cx-racing T67 and GT35 and they have nothing but good things to say for the price.
    I honestly don't know. I'll have to ask and find out.
    1973 Toyota celica powered by an na2t vg30e, Toyota Hilux rear end and Holset HE351VE-VGT needs manfifolds for her. Live life or die trying.
    2005 srt-4 neon, bolt ons, methanol injection, AGP .50 trim turbo, heat soaked very badly and no stinking fan in front of my car, it still managed to put down 372 whp and 395 wtq track times soon to come.

Great part is, I asked him what brand turbo he bought all of these times. Guess what his response was. I really don't know what brand it is. This is a bright person.
    1973 Toyota celica powered by an na2t vg30e, Toyota Hilux rear end and Holset HE351VE-VGT needs manfifolds for her. Live life or die trying.
    2005 srt-4 neon, bolt ons, methanol injection, AGP .50 trim turbo, heat soaked very badly and no stinking fan in front of my car, it still managed to put down 372 whp and 395 wtq track times soon to come.

300cars wrote: did u see my build thread? I got the wiring cleaned up and reduced. I can get to the heater core hoses with the new plenum on. I left the trans in the car. 5 mins to unbolt the trans. 1 min undo wiring. 3 mins water lines. 5 min to pull the intercooler. 1 min fuel lines. 5 mins hook up straps. 10 mins inching/ maneuvering the engine out.
    I have pulled my motor 8 times now. I have now made it alot faster and quicker to do so.
    I am right there in the 30min range to pull my motor.

On a side note…
    I spent $1000 plus shipping ($200) to have my turbo modified to take an AiResearch (owned by Garret) T3/T04e 57 trim and .63 A/R.
    I was still able to retain my 3" QTP electric cut-out exhaust and keep the water cooling aspects of the original Nissan Garret T3 turbo.
    Money well spent IMHO. I have been running 20+ PSI on it (I have other supported mods to make this happen) for almost a year and I haven't had ANY issues what so ever.

Pics…

PM me if you want info of where to send your turbo off to get this done.

You have exactly the same turbo as me…for now atleast. :twisted:

Anyone looking for a budget turbo should check out Master Power.
    Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
    Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

Onto my 2nd Monsta turbo now, a T70. Upgraded the old T04e which has done about 20,000ks and still clean as a whistle inside after running 15psi daily for about 2 years. The T70, i pulled it apart and cleaned it, whacked it on and boosted it to 18psi with no dramas..
    Straya, +61

Just have a stupid question…

Could you technically buy an ebay turbo kit, such as this:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Jeep-Wagoneer-T3T4-T … 5081wt_939

And then buy a legit rebuild kit from Garret or whoever, and rebuild the turbo?

Not that I would do that. :lol:

I've got an eBay spec T3/T4 hybrid that I don't plan on using. Bought it second hand locally for cheaper than off eBay, so I don't mind that it's probably garbage. Not going to risk using it, mostly due to laziness, needs an external wastegate.
    The plan is to fit the compressor housing onto the stock z31 T3 and buy a Garrett compressor wheel to fit.

maverickxeo wrote: Just have a stupid question…

Could you technically buy an ebay turbo kit, such as this:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Jeep-Wagoneer-T3T4-T … 5081wt_939

And then buy a legit rebuild kit from Garret or whoever, and rebuild the turbo?

Not that I would do that. :lol:
    No.

Not worth it at all. Spend the money on the right Turbo in the first place and save yourself the hassle.
    2005 whore magnet

after a complete year of beating, going from High psi to low psi lanuches and other stuff as well as engine stalls and other engine failures along the way, my ebay T3/T4 finally devloped in and out shaft play (0.6 and under) it wasn't enough to hit the compressor or turbine housing. I found it after I decided to pull the whole turbo unit to replace the 02 sensor, and desided to check turbo play while I had the turbo out.

Are there a good quailty rebuild kits I can buy for a T3/T4 combo? HKS? garrett? turbonetics? greddy?

he gives me shit all the time about the money i spend on my car but he simply doenst understand what type of "high" you get from watching a stock car transform into something alive with as much emotion and feelings as any human.
    Originally posted by PurePontiacKid
    My god… 10 pages and so far he's only pulled the motor out of the donor car, and bought some valvetrain parts for it? way to be proactive guys.

Read the post above you.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

So how many people on here have actually owned ebay turbos and had them blow up? I've owned two and they have been good.
    Straya, +61

Timbo_021 wrote: So how many people on here have actually owned ebay turbos and had them blow up? I've owned two and they have been good.
    I havent "blown" mines up per say but it just needs a rebuild because of the shaftplay, other then that it has been a VERY strong turbo. always stood up to the abuse i put it through.

and thats something i would like to know actually.

he gives me shit all the time about the money i spend on my car but he simply doenst understand what type of "high" you get from watching a stock car transform into something alive with as much emotion and feelings as any human.
    Originally posted by PurePontiacKid
    My god… 10 pages and so far he's only pulled the motor out of the donor car, and bought some valvetrain parts for it? way to be proactive guys.

Ah, you don't have enough money for a decent turbo, so you are putting some cheaper one on that's probably going to cost you more in the long run? Makes sense.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

you can say what you want about the turbo busting into pieces or not. whether you think that is ok is really a question of whether you understand the severity of cheaping out or not.

when the turbo is made to push everything that crosses its path INTO the engine, where do you think those broken pieces are going to end up???