Headlight Relay Modification

• Headlight Relay Modification

Now we all know that if the "Headlight Down Mod" is applied, one cannot lower the lights once they are raised unless the lights are turned off. I recall some time ago reading a write up on how to remedy this by altering the relay. Does anyone have a link to this article?

Thanks in advance.

1985 Nissan 300ZX 2+2- My first Z, back in the family
    1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo RIP 4/87 - 4/28/2011
    Under Construction: 1986 Nissan 300ZX NA2T Slicktop
    Originally posted by Tempestas
    Well, one of the t-tops wasn't latched real well… God only knows where that t-top flew off to at 150+ mph. Didn't scratch the car or anything, just a boom and it was gone. I sure as hell didn't stop to see where it went. I didn't see any stories on the news… so that's a plus.

that would be cool i have always wondered if that was possible
    86 NA
    87 Turbo
    Member of the "zetto sun-ichi" group

Local MN car forum/club anyone welcome..... fivezeroseven.net join!

couldn't you just unplug the headlight motor? the lights would still get power, but the motor wouldn't thus, headlight wouldn't move, but you'd be able to adjust it accordingly.
    SS #341
    "This car can be vicious, but in an unusual way, like a shark in a funny hat."
    -Jeremy Clarkson

well it would be nice to be able to pop the lights up for when you really need the light then be able to lower them back down again for like in town driving when you dont need much light. You know what i mean? That way you have can have the added light if you need it and then you can lower them for looks when want instead of having to turn them off and on again to lower it. I dont like doing that because its hard on HID bulbs to turn them on and off like that.
    86 NA
    87 Turbo
    Member of the "zetto sun-ichi" group

Local MN car forum/club anyone welcome..... fivezeroseven.net join!

yeah i was thinking more of a semi-permanent mod, vs a switch to lift them up or down. i thought my 85 parts car had a switch on the dash to lift the lights was that not on all of them? or something wrong with the switch… … i really need to fix the Z and drive it so i actually Know the interior as much as the engine bay.
    SS #341
    "This car can be vicious, but in an unusual way, like a shark in a funny hat."
    -Jeremy Clarkson

There is a way to do it with the relay, I just cannot find the damned write up. I believe you jump pins 3-5.

1985 Nissan 300ZX 2+2- My first Z, back in the family
    1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo RIP 4/87 - 4/28/2011
    Under Construction: 1986 Nissan 300ZX NA2T Slicktop
    Originally posted by Tempestas
    Well, one of the t-tops wasn't latched real well… God only knows where that t-top flew off to at 150+ mph. Didn't scratch the car or anything, just a boom and it was gone. I sure as hell didn't stop to see where it went. I didn't see any stories on the news… so that's a plus.

That write up is on the AUZ Z31 Forum
    1989 300zx Turbo 2+2 Euro

Lots of people like to make it so the headlights on their Z31 dont automaticaly pop up when they turn their lights on. Well here are the instructions.

Remove the interior trim piece just above where you knees are in the drivers side. There should be three screws.

After you remove this panel look on the right hand side of the steering column. Tucked in the back there should be a white plug. It should have an orange and a purple wire comming out of it. The plug is about an inch and a half long, about half an inch or so wide and a quarter an inch thick. The plug shape should stay the same but the colors may change from year to year. If you dont see it then look around, it might be tucked behind the steering column. There is a snap connector on it, you push down on this snap connector and the plug comes apart. You can just let this plug dangle down, dont have to worry about taping it up or anything.
    While you are under there if your car has over 100k miles there on the left hand side of the column under the AC vent there should be a wire that has a label that says SENSOR, DISCONNECT AFTER 100k MILES. If it already isnt unplugged then do so. This is just to remind you to check your O2 Sensor every thirty thousand miles or so, its nearly useless after 100k miles.
    Replace the trim piece above the knees and reinstall the screws. Now when you turn your lights on they will not automatically pop up. The will however come up when you turn on the brights or fog lights. If you want to make them come up without the brights just push the button to pop them up. They will stay up until you push the button again and turn the lights off.

Keep in mind that this is for cosmetic and aerodynaic purposes only. IT WILL REDUCE YOUR VISIBILITY. Dont come crying to me if you get pulled over for having your lights down. But, I have had this for months and never had a cop stop me for having my lights down yet but you have been warned.

Enjoy and happy Z'ing.

he gives me shit all the time about the money i spend on my car but he simply doenst understand what type of "high" you get from watching a stock car transform into something alive with as much emotion and feelings as any human.
    Originally posted by PurePontiacKid
    My god… 10 pages and so far he's only pulled the motor out of the donor car, and bought some valvetrain parts for it? way to be proactive guys.

I think you missed the point of the thread.

Here you go TR.

http://nq300zx.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=301

TearingRaven wrote: Now we all know that if the "Headlight Down Mod" is applied, one cannot lower the lights once they are raised unless the lights are turned off. I recall some time ago reading a write up on how to remedy this by altering the relay. Does anyone have a link to this article?

Thanks in advance.
    What the OP desires .. is a way to lower the lights (while ON) .. "into the down position" WITHOUT turning the lights OFF.

Right now. I can turn my lights on. The lights fully raise up. I turn off the lights, the lights turn off, the lights lower (they're off) .. then I turn the lights on again, the lights light up - in the lowered position.

The goal is to raise or lower the lights, while on, without having to turn them off.
    '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
    PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

HOW TO: Headlights (AND HIGHBEAMS) on while down.:

http://www.auz31club.com/viewtopic.php?t=301
    1989 300zx Turbo 2+2 Euro

Cool .. I never knew about this ..

LOL .. I might have to attempt it.

vagabond and Nismo_

Thanks for the links.
    '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
    PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

Sorry for the thread necrophilia, but I tried doing this mod yesterday after work and could not get it to work at all. Keep in mind I have a 87 gll model with the headlight sensors. look at the fsm, there is a lot more to the gll schematic than the non gll. Maybe having a 87-89 makes a difference too as it looks like the OP had an 84 or 85 model. Any thoughs oh why mine didn't work? I followed the instructions on the AU Z site to a T.
    I tried making sense of the headlight schematic, but electronics are not one of my strengths.

Found my issue, I was messing with the uphold relay, not the headlight relay. Headlight relay is located on the drivers side. I was going by the pics posted and messing witht the black relay behind the green EFI relay on our passenger side (AU drivers side)
    what a country.

Messing with the headlight relay didn't quite get the desired results either. My headlights will go down when the switch is turned to the '1' position instead of the off position, but I still can't control them with the headlight button like the mod is supposed to do. I think on GLL cars you have to do the mod to the headlight relay and the uphold relay. I'll experiment and update as I can.