Headlight Relay Modification

as long as it's 84-86, 87-89 will stay down when you switch to high beams but won't go back down until you turn lights off still.

Richard_85ZXT wrote: as long as it's 84-86, 87-89 will stay down when you switch to high beams but won't go back down until you turn lights off still.
    So when you turn on the brights they will stay down if you push the button it will raise them but you can't lower them unless you turn off the lights completely? when I modified the 6E relay in the 86 it did that same thing and didn't work until I modified the 64E maybe it's backwards in the 87's?
    Click here to view my Stanced VG33ET Build thread / Click here to view my Feed Back thread

through an accident in wiring today I found that the relay in the fender, if you cut the purple wire it will allow the headlights to stay down but it will come up if you hit the high beams or the headlight popper button.

also if you cut one of the purple wires from the headlight sensor it will do the same as I described.

also if you dont want to unplug the light from behind your guage cluster that says "light" (hid setup or headlight relay) then cut the white/purple wire at the headlight sensor.

just thuoght id share.
    My Build Thread

Same thing as unplugging it under the dash. Good job genius :nanan?re

Except much harder to reverse the process. lol fail.

hahah I dont care, I was just there and decided to share it.

maybe someone is inclinded to take apart a dash :lol:
    My Build Thread

it's 3 screws to get the cover off

[quote]MuhKaydenZ wrote:
    Originally posted by Richard_85ZXT
    as long as it's 84-86, 87-89 will stay down when you switch to high beams but won't go back down until you turn lights off still.So when you turn on the brights they will stay down if you push the button it will raise them but you can't lower them unless you turn off the lights completely? when I modified the 6E relay in the 86 it did that same thing and didn't work until I modified the 64E maybe it's backwards in the 87's?
    When I turn on the brights the lights will stay down now. The problem I am having is that when I use the manual dash switch to raise the lights they will not go down until the lights are shut off* correction* The manual headlight button works when the turned to just the parking lights
    . I modified the relay on the drivers side near the brake booster. Did you modify both relays?

86T GLL
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
    Parting Currently:
    86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
    Garage Sale

I only modified the relay behind the windshield washer resevoir and I also have the connection under the dash disconnected
    Click here to view my Stanced VG33ET Build thread / Click here to view my Feed Back thread

hmmmmmm, I may have tweaked the relay upon opening it. The wires attached to contacts 1-2 was severed. I'm going to pop open a few of my spare relays and check them out.
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    Parting Currently:
    Garage Sale

Yeah if you have a spare id just use that

Yeah same thing with the other relay. It might be a gll thing. I have the headlight sensor that was mentioned previously. Time to stare at schematics.
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    Parting Currently:
    Garage Sale

I stared at the schematics for a long time and they made absolutly no sense to me, but I'm also not great at reading wiring diagrams. through trial and error i found that on my 87 gll, i have a headlight relay and an uphold relay. putting a modified relay in either one of of the relay's had the same effect, so if I have 2 modified relays and put them both in… I think this should work. I've just gotten sidetracked with installing a sub and planning an intercooler setup :-(
    plus my front struts are wearing out and I have a rear wheel bearing going bad on me. my diff leaks and the list goes on and on. lol maybe i'll mess with this project more this weekend. maybe.

Okay so on my 86 I found the headlight relay (after the longest time just looking under my hood and just feeling dumb) and i pulled it out that was no problem. Then when I wired it up 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 (I think) and when I put the relay back in the headlights would stay down on low and high beams but when I pressed the manual button they wouldn't go down tell I turned them off. Does anyone know what i did wrong? :-?

Originally posted by adamvann3
    Its aged but well groomed; similar to a cougar who hits the gym. Yeah it may have some miles on it, but its still one hell of a ride.

make sure you got the right relay I had the wrong one and it didn't work correctly either

MuhKaydenZ wrote: There is a single black relay and then a group of three relays hooked together and it's the black one in the group of three