Upgrade to PRW-2 Ign. Control Module (Power Transistor Unit)

Re: Upgrade to PRW-2 Ign. Control Module (Power Transistor U

^ LOL..i am a little excited to see the difference if any on either of my z when they get here!
    86 NA
    87 Turbo
    Member of the "zetto sun-ichi" group

Local MN car forum/club anyone welcome..... fivezeroseven.net join!

Neat, picking one up soon to see if it makes a difference.

86T GLL

:modo

Damn, with the feedback about this, I may end up doing this swap on my SS. (Even though its not factory ) For 16 bucks shipped that ebay seller makes it not worth going to a yard for me.
    88SS - #300 - http://z31performance.com/showthread.php?18360

Dr. Pepper PhD. wrote: Damn, with the feedback about this, I may end up doing this swap on my SS. (Even though its not factory ) For 16 bucks shipped that ebay seller makes it not worth going to a yard for me.
    you can make a conversion harness by cutting the connector off an existing PTU and splicing it into another harness connector, which you can pillage from multiple places in the engine bay of a parts car so you can swap back and forth if you really want :-)

[quote]Careless wrote:
    Originally posted by Dr. Pepper PhD.
    Damn, with the feedback about this, I may end up doing this swap on my SS. (Even though its not factory ) For 16 bucks shipped that ebay seller makes it not worth going to a yard for me.
    you can make a conversion harness by cutting the connector off an existing PTU and splicing it into another harness connector, which you can pillage from multiple places in the engine bay of a parts car so you can swap back and forth if you really want :-)
    I made an adapter harness just yesterday heheh, no need to cut off anything from a ptu, just get the right male/female parts from a harness

G-E wrote: I made an adapter harness just yesterday heheh, no need to cut off anything from a ptu, just get the right male/female parts from a harness
    I thought all the harness connectors had female sockets. Guess not! Cool beans.
    I'm not sure if this thing has to do with me not getting spark blow-out with the 60mm turbo and 0.035 BCPR6ES's.
    we'll see. car revs to the moon now- though.

I said hell with it and ordered one. I cannot imagine that there is a downside to them, hell if it runs better it probably gets better mileage too.
    88SS - #300 - http://z31performance.com/showthread.php?18360

yeah im waiting for my second one to show up so i can do both the same time.
    86 NA
    87 Turbo

Careless, just out of curiosity, how did you discover this upgrade?
    Zoey - 1987 Z31T GLL - HKS EVC / CM SS 3" turbo-back / Stance GR+
    Black Betty - 2014 Audi C7 S6 APR1

I always wondered about this pwr unit since I saw it on a pathfinder, but never imagined it helped in a meaningful way

Parker wrote: Careless, just out of curiosity, how did you discover this upgrade?
    As stated in the original post, michaelp tipped me off about it, but he never posted about it. You can all thank him, credit where it's due.

I got one for free from a parted out sentra with a GA16 that my old landlord took to pieces. Another member posted about it a long time ago and said it improved idle/ignition response, but his PM to me was not as simple as "flip two wires", which is really all that is required aside from using the bracket or making a new one.

michaelp mentioned that along with my distributor, I should attempt the swap- and it's given my car new life (along with the distributor). So I thought I would post it.

I've got an ever-so-slight surge when cruising/light throttle that's been there for a loooong time, I'm wondering if it's in fact my stock TBI '88 Pathfinder PTU with 210K miles I'm using. It's different than the '90+ MPFI PTUs.

There's plenty of 4-doors in the junkyards around here, I'm going to pick one up and see how it does. Looking forward to it actually! The surge only annoys me because I tend to notice silly stuff that no one else does. A buddy of mine noticed as well but only after I made him focus on it and pick it out specifically.

Hope it works as well for me as everyone else. Good shit!

Here is my install…i am going to paint the bracket sometime too so it looks better.

86 NA
    87 Turbo

I will say my engine has a slight miss at idle. but that's definitely not an ignition issue as code 21 has not cropped up anymore.
    i mean, if it is an ignition issue, it's based on spark plug wires or plugs- but i have a feeling i have a shitty injector.

other than that- the car is a lot more responsive, so I dunno. maybe butt dyno. but since they're easily available in junkyards, it makes sense to just "procure" one (see: pillage) from another vehicle that is more common than a z31 if you really need a replacement.