Upgrade to PRW-2 Ign. Control Module (Power Transistor Unit)

Re: Upgrade to PRW-2 Ign. Control Module (Power Transistor U

Mine just arrived yesterday. I was worried it wasn't going to be covered with junkyard writing, but never fear, someone had painted 1995 ALTIMA all over it with f**king nail polish or something. It's clean now. Didn't even have to pay customs on it!
    Zoey - 1987 Z31T GLL - HKS EVC / CM SS 3" turbo-back / Stance GR+
    Black Betty - 2014 Audi C7 S6 APR1

Parker wrote: Mine just arrived yesterday. I was worried it wasn't going to be covered with junkyard writing, but never fear, someone had painted 1995 ALTIMA all over it with f**king nail polish or something. It's clean now. Didn't even have to pay customs on it!
    acetone!

biggz31 wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220419917329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1438.l2648

low price power transistor
    interesting… a 2A
    never seen one of those befurr

Parker wrote: Mine just arrived yesterday. I was worried it wasn't going to be covered with junkyard writing, but never fear, someone had painted 1995 ALTIMA all over it with f**king nail polish or something. It's clean now. Didn't even have to pay customs on it!Careless wrote: acetone!
    Yeah, I was able to scratch most of it off with my fingernail, then I used acetone to clean it up.

I just installed the PRW-2, and while I can't comment on performance under boost or even under load (waiting for parts to fix my clutch) but from revving it in my garage it sure sounded and felt smoother. It seeems to rev quicker, and when returning to idle it comes down smoothly and seems to hit idle immediately instead of dropping slightly below and revving back up a little. For what I paid and the amount of work required to install it, I'm happy with this even if I am just experiencing the placebo effect.

Only problem is the one I bought has half of the retaining clip broken off. It still plugs in and stays where it's supposed to, but I guess I'll have to buy another one for car shows. :lol: At least the broken clip goes well with my backyard butchery zip-tie installation.

Thanks guys!

Hey, just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much of a heat sink this thing needs? I zip-tied it to the fender bracket where the AIV/boost sensor bracket used to be attached… think that'll be enough for now? As a permanent solution I'm probably going to get one of my welders to fab me a piece of 1/4" plate steel with holes to mount it to the fender bracket, and threaded holes to attach the ignitor.

I just want to be sure I'm not going to damage this thing by letting it overheat the way it sits now. It is firmly seated against the bracket, and there's good airflow to most of the surface of the bracket, but the bracket itself doesn't have much mass to it.

Thats more than adequate there, its mounted to the intake manifold on pathfinders....which heatsoaks it a whole lot more than it will ever be in the Z31 stock location.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Parker wrote: Hey, just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much of a heat sink this thing needs? I zip-tied it to the fender bracket where the AIV/boost sensor bracket used to be attached… think that'll be enough for now? As a permanent solution I'm probably going to get one of my welders to fab me a piece of 1/4" plate steel with holes to mount it to the fender bracket, and threaded holes to attach the ignitor.

I just want to be sure I'm not going to damage this thing by letting it overheat the way it sits now. It is firmly seated against the bracket, and there's good airflow to most of the surface of the bracket, but the bracket itself doesn't have much mass to it.
    thats kinda how the nissan hadbody pickup is mounted to.
    My Build Thread

Got mine in today from the first ebay vendor that was posted in this thread. Installed it after work, used a blow gun dart to get the pins out, went easier then expected. Hope to notice some differences, thanks guys!
    86 Turbo
    86 na slick top
    88 na BLACK
    Pics: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjuDDqw7

Put mine in tonight and holy crap what a difference. Idles wayy smoother and definitely pulls smoother to 6k. More power? Nah, not likely but the response and driveability is like night and day. Impressive…

ERRBODY THANK MICHAELPEE.

faaaaaaaaaaaaaanks miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iike

[quote]Careless wrote:
    Originally posted by michaelp
    distortionfile was the name of the person on here who told me about this years ago…and I didn't believe it until I tried it myself. The ONLY reason he did it is because he had a pathfinder one and needed a PTU....
    riiiiiight. thats who sent it to me too. meh. he should have posted.
    I'm glad this thread/ concept picked back up! I tried it after his mention, and in retrospect must have either gotten the wrong one or a dud. Cause it didn't work for me.

Time to find another ptu!!
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

Just ordered the PRW2A listed a little higher in the thread. For $10 it's worth a try.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

i also upgrade to prw-2 thanks to the one who make this possible

good offer http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-97-Nissan…ef6077&vxp=mtr

Can anyone post pics on how to release the pin?
    My contact just bends and doesnt release. spent about 30 mins 'gently' pulling the wire and theinsulation has pulled back and the metal inside is super soft.