Custom Hood Liner now available

Re: Anybody near Westland,MI Custom Hood Liner (pics)

The reason for hood removal is due to the amount of time it will take to set everything up, clean and install. Installing a hoodliner while being contorted into a pretzel is not fun. Simply put it will be easier on you.

When Gonzalo sends the hoodliner out there will be instructions. He instructed me to pick up some 3M super 80 vinyl and rubber adhesive for the installation. It is expensive at ~13 bucks a can, but he stated that it is the ONLY stuff that he has found to work for years without issues. This stuff.

Here a couple snaps of my car and hoodliner.

You can see the large recessed area just right of the center of the hood. This is where my emblem will be going.
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Looks good. Thanks for your help getting this done.

Did you also use the stock plastic hood liner holders?
    Did he cut it to fit or did he make a copy of the factory hood liner?
    What did he say about the decals?

BTW....since the template is done, here's the info to contact Gonzalo and his website.

http://hoodliners.blogspot.com/
    Shiro #443

Rick88ss wrote: Looks good. Thanks for your help getting this done. Not a problem, I enjoyed working with Gonzalo and we all like new products!
    Rick88ss wrote: Did you also use the stock plastic hood liner holders?Yes, we used a body panel removal tool to remove the OE clips, cleaned them and reinstalled with the original clips.
    Rick88ss wrote: Did he cut it to fit or did he make a copy of the factory hood liner?
    We took of my factory hood liner, the laid it out on the new hoodliner material. He traced the OE shape onto the new material and marked the factory fastening points. He did not have time to make the template, so I left my OE hoodliner with him so that he can make the template when he returns from vacation.
    Rick88ss wrote:
    What did he say about the decals?
    He said that he can do them with zero issues. He took some measurements from my hood so that he knows how large to make the decals. He uses photoshop and makes vector files to make the decals. Resolution should not be an issue.
    Rick88ss wrote:
    BTW....since the template is done, here's the info to contact Gonzalo and his website.

http://hoodliners.blogspot.com/
    Dang, I thought I put that in my first completed post. :zzz
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Racinjitter wrote: So I have the OE hoodliner from the 84T and an 86, they are the same except for the hole for the scoop. As soon as Gonzalo returns from vacation I will drop them off to him so that he can make templates.
    You know what Ritter? You're alright. 8)
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

Thanks for the info.
    I guess I'll call him in 2 weeks.
    Great timing for his vacation. LOL
    Shiro #443

man im already down for a set. Im glad you took the time to find something for our z's.

I can live without a graphic, anything but the old stuff is well worth it. As for the price you cant beat it.
    My Build Thread

Racinjitter wrote: The reason for hood removal is due to the amount of time it will take to set everything up, clean and install. Installing a hoodliner while being contorted into a pretzel is not fun. Simply put it will be easier on you.

When Gonzalo sends the hoodliner out there will be instructions. He instructed me to pick up some 3M super 80 vinyl and rubber adhesive for the installation. It is expensive at ~13 bucks a can, but he stated that it is the ONLY stuff that he has found to work for years without issues. This stuff.

You can see the large recessed area just right of the center of the hood. This is where my emblem will be going.
    OK .. thanks. Looks good. And he uses vector files for the decal? So it's a decal, not printed onto the liner?
    Hmm then I could afix my own decal?

I'll have to do this when I get back.
    '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
    PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

[quote]inqui-Z-tor wrote:
    Originally posted by Racinjitter
    The reason for hood removal is due to the amount of time it will take to set everything up, clean and install. Installing a hoodliner while being contorted into a pretzel is not fun. Simply put it will be easier on you.

OK .. thanks. Looks good. And he uses vector files for the decal? So it's a decal, not printed onto the liner?
    Hmm then I could afix my own decal?

I'll have to do this when I get back.
    Check out the site, the image can be added on afterwards.
    My Build Thread

Racinjitter wrote: The reason for hood removal is due to the amount of time it will take to set everything up, clean and install. Installing a hoodliner while being contorted into a pretzel is not fun. Simply put it will be easier on you.

Here a couple snaps of my car and hoodliner.

Looks to me like you could have used a little more material in the front to evenly cover up the rest of the recessed area.

"Beer is proof that god wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

khyronzx wrote:

Looks to me like you could have used a little more material in the front to evenly cover up the rest of the recessed area.
    I noticed that too. It's more noticeable if you compare it with the photo examples from "Gonzo's" site. It looks impressive.

And I understand now about the need for taking the hood off. Even though I read about the need for the adhesive, it didn't register (DOH) at the time.

I wonder, I guess I can write "Gonzo" if he has any pics of the hoodliner .. say after 6mos to a year of use?

As I posted previously, I've considered a hoodliner .. even a temporary one. You know, one that I would "apply" say with magnets just for show purposes, then remove it, when the hood is down and while "engine is running". I've been to a few shows where some owners have custom "removable hoodliners" that are cut to fit as well. They are not a form fitting …

Not to detract from this product, because I do like it ..

khyronzx wrote: Looks to me like you could have used a little more material in the front to evenly cover up the rest of the recessed area.
    This is an exact copy of the OEM hoodliner. Exact shape and size. It could be extended though.

so what's the price with and without the logo again?

Careless wrote: so what's the price with and without the logo again?
    per the website .. $85-$95 (depends on size) for the liner, $15 for the logo (might depend on if he has the logo in stock, versus needing the vector art file to set up the vinyl decal cutter) .. shipping an additional $13 (USA) to $23 (Canada)..

The oem goes all the way to the front of that indented area doesn't it? If he is copying the exact outline of the factory one he isn't taking acount for that it has all the molded in stuff and it would be larger if it was pressed completely flat.

"Beer is proof that god wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

khyronzx wrote: The oem goes all the way to the front of that indented area doesn't it?
    No, the OEM one doesn't go all the way up to the core support brace. If it did it would be torn to shreds by the entering wind and due to the fastener location being reward further.