This is what it sounds like when T-5's die.

Re: This is what it sounds like when T-5's die.

anyone serious about racing vg's will end up calling g-force.

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

that t-56 looks awesome. is this place expensive? i got a good t-5 sitting in the back of my jeep. this would probably be easier than finding a 30a

300cars wrote: that t-56 looks awesome. is this place expensive? i got a good t-5 sitting in the back of my jeep. this would probably be easier than finding a 30a
    G-force is expensive but your tranny will be very strong. Gotta pay to play.
    Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
    1986 300zx Turbo
    2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
    1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

i like strong trannies. j/k ill have to call them see what it will cost me. i should be ready for a trans upgrade by race season.

That trans is sexy as hell, but I don't feel like changing out my Exedy stage 2 with 50 miles on it.

What clutch would you use with that spline anyway?
    sigpic

Go with AstroPerformance instead of G-force, I've heard some bad things about their power ratings.

http://www.astroperformance.com/

You can get a serious t-5 built up.
    It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo…

z

thats not bad. a completely stock supra trans is 6,000. i'd pay 3500 for a fully built street/racing trans

Domdogg123 wrote: Go with AstroPerformance instead of G-force, I've heard some bad things about their power ratings.

http://www.astroperformance.com/

You can get a serious t-5 built up.
    I tried getting these guys to make us some custom kits to install into our t-5's to make them stronger and handle more power.

AND NOW THAT RUSS has done the WC conversion in the Z31 T5 we might be able to get Astroperformance to make a conversion kit based off of what Russ did to his…and then we could possibly setup a group buy for the kits if made....????

Slydwyz wrote: …and then we could possibly setup a group buy for the kits if made....????
    did pigs grow wings? remember you're talking about z31 owners . i imagine we'd have trouble organizing a short shifter group buy, let alone entire transmissions.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

not our fault we are broke. i'm looking at a check for 8000 and i am going to have to miss a couple days of work because i don't have enough gas. ain't that some shit.

[quote]DeleriousZ wrote:
    Originally posted by Slydwyz
    …and then we could possibly setup a group buy for the kits if made....????
    did pigs grow wings? remember you're talking about z31 owners . i imagine we'd have trouble organizing a short shifter group buy, let alone entire transmissions.
    We have to at least try, right. You never know. They didnt need a group buy for the camaro guys....maybe they will just outright do it and sell it. We have to let them know it can be done though…anyway who wants to send an e-mail to AP? I nominate Russ, just to see what they say about doing this for us now that we kind of know, how it can be done.

trying and failing gives us a bad name with the company, which seems to get carried around to other companies as well.

gauging interest is one thing, but contacting a company saying you're going to do a gb is another.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

DeleriousZ wrote: trying and failing gives us a bad name with the company, which seems to get carried around to other companies as well.

gauging interest is one thing, but contacting a company saying you're going to do a gb is another.
    Understand
    ----------
    So whats the reason for converting the T5 from NWC to WC if we can just use the 30A which is the strongest trans for the Z anyway? Or is it possible the T5 could be stronger than the 30A with the WC conversion? or would it become cheaper to rebuild a converted T5 than rebuilding a 30A when it goes…

Hmm…

Yes, input shaft normally snaps first in all the Z's T5 failures I've seen.

1SickZ wrote: Fix the input shaft all you want:

I have a 30A counter-shaft input gear that looks just like that....

but as 1sickz seems to have been noting here… I'll summarize. The T5 is the lightest manual trans for the Z31 (though almost the same weight as the NA manual 71C). It has a relatively small case and small internal gears by comparison to the 30A. I have a picture somewhere of a T5 countershaft next to a 30A countershaft. The 30A gear teeth are at least 30% wider, so if it were made of the same material taking the same force (which it's probably not, but just for the sake of rough comparison), it should be about 30% stronger. I will post this picture when I find it.

Now by simply comparing the available aftermarket gearsets, the T5 would by far
    be the transmission to build should you want to spend the time and money to do it. You don't really need a kit, as the parts car be ordered… just all the research Russ has done to get the right combination for the Z's T5 is the "valuable information".