This is what it sounds like when T-5's die.

Re: This is what it sounds like when T-5's die.

Jason, how much torque were you making when you sheared the teeth off your 30a gears? how long were you using that tranny, and under what conditions? Hard drag launches with slicks? road course? street?

Thanks Jason for explaining.

Chris86NA2T wrote: Jason, how much torque were you making when you sheared the teeth off your 30a gears? how long were you using that tranny, and under what conditions? Hard drag launches with slicks? road course? street?
    I dunno for sure… somewhere between 450-500rwtq. It had "60K" mikes on it when installed, and I had it in the car for probably 2 years or 10K miles. Lots of hard launches, always on street tires. It did break at the drag strip, but I had been soft-launching it like I usually do trying not to break the darn thing. Could not run below a 12.1 for the life of me that night (2.1-2.2 60' times). On my 4th or 5th pass I felt a pop in 2nd gear, figured out what it was after a few mins (broken teeth on the countershaft input gear)… and listened to it thunk/clunk all the way home in 4th gear.

Picture of the T5 vs 30A counter-shafts side-by-side. T5 on left, 30A on right. I think the picture speaks for itself.