Z32 Clutch?

People have been using Z32NA clutch kits for years, because it shares the bolt pattern and critical distances with all the 240mm Z31 flywheels.

Yes again, I agree that the Z33 clutch pressure plate is a very substantial improvement over the standard Z31 clutch. All DXD clutches for all models except 87-89T with SS or FE-X pressure plates (not the base HD) now use the Z33 pressure plate because it offers better clamp load, softer pedal, and the same pricetag. This also allows use of a 250mm disc with the 240mm flywheels
    , for even more torque capacity. About time for people to start throwing those 250mm (87-89T) flywheels in the scrap pile.

Every question you guys have asked is answered in this thread.
    z32na on z31 240mm fly=ok
    z33 on z31 240mm fly=ok
    both on 250mm= no go
    250mm disk will work on 240mm fly with a 250mm pp (ie z33)

Whats so hard here?
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

shromy wrote: People have been using Z32NA clutch kits for years, because it shares the bolt pattern and critical distances with all the 240mm Z31 flywheels.

Yes again, I agree that the Z33 clutch pressure plate
    is a very substantial improvement over the standard Z31 clutch. All DXD clutches for all models except 87-89T with SS or FE-X pressure plates (not the base HD) now use the Z33 pressure plate because it offers better clamp load, softer pedal, and the same pricetag. This also allows use of a 250mm disc with the 240mm flywheels
    , for even more torque capacity. About time for people to start throwing those 250mm (87-89T) flywheels in the scrap pile.

Every question you guys have asked is answered in this thread.
    z32na on z31 240mm fly=ok
    z33 on z31 240mm fly=ok
    both on 250mm= no go
    250mm disk will work on 240mm fly with a 250mm pp (ie z33)

Whats so hard here?
    Ahh…if it's really this simple then why didn't you say so sooner !?
    Hard? No. Confusing? Maybe.

Someone said you'd need to remove the step in the flywheel, some say you should use a different TO bearing, 240 this…250 that…grind bell housing.....
    "Yes… with the exception of a few changes to the kit to suit the Z31, it is essentially a 350Z clutch." Essentially? Not exactly? uh oh.
    "You can't use a 250mm disc on the "240mm" flywheel with the Z31 240mm pressure plate, but you can use a 250mm disc with the 350Z pressure plate on the "240mm" flywheel."

Hello Linda Blair

thx for clearing it up :super

I agree it is a lil confusing, but hell my simple mind figured it out. Course I played with this stuff hands on years ago so I guess it helps. Everything on this site is far from cut and dry. You have to read all 3 or 12 pages sometimes to get it all since no one ever goes through and puts it into one post usually. Just like the 3.3 swap still being a semi mystery but we have been doing it shortly after the 3.3 was introduced.
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

[quote]KamaKaZee wrote:
    Originally posted by aceman
    was supposed to be a quote there somewhere, but you can increase pedal feel by adding bands to the pressure plate. It is a byproduct of increasing clamp load.
    LOL.....

So adding "bands" make the pedal feel firmer. ok.

still ambiguity....

So, can the 350 Clutch and Pressure Plate fit into a 1985 Turbo 300zx or does it REQUIRE modification ?

:nanan?re
    sorry for assuming you know how a clutch pressure plate functions.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

well I ordered a z33 clutch so i'll see how well it works this weekend
    Click here to view my Stanced VG33ET Build thread / Click here to view my Feed Back thread

aceman wrote:
    sorry for assuming you know how a clutch pressure plate functions.

Not a problem. ALWAYS in "Learn" mode. :-D

There are some really knowledgeable people on this forum !

I'm afraid adding bands to a pressure plate passed me by. So, I tried to learn a bit about it.

But I couldn't find any info on adding clutch bands in edmunds.com, HowStuffWorks.com (clutches) and Wikipedia.com (clutches).
    I also couldn't find a darn thing about this on any of the automotive performance forums I searched ?
    I also couldn't find anything in a Google search....heck, I couldn't even find anything more about it searching THIS site.....so I'm glad you know all about this.

Where did you get your information on this? Or did you learn about it from DXD recently?
    Please tell me more.

Here is a quote from ClutchMasters.com
    28 years experience Manufacturing clutches and even THEY don't mention "Bands" are you sure you're using the correct terminology?

Clamping Force vs. Pedal Pressure

Designing heavy duty and high performance clutches with a very high clamp load and incredible coefficient of friction is a fairly simple engineering task. To do so without increasing pedal pressure has not been so easy. Even the education process of changing opinions that an increase in pedal pressure must accompany a high performance clutch with increased clamping force has been difficult.

Clutch Masters, after 28 years as a premier manufacturer of fine quality clutches, has taken this experience and a clean sheet of paper to re-engineer their line of performance clutches to address these problems. The proof of this success is now available from Clutch Masters as a complete line of clutch systems for high performance street and racing use. It is the first major breakthrough in performance clutches in over two decades.

Following are ways of increasing clamp load. The methods vary in sophistication and effectiveness:

Heat Treating

The diaphragm, or spring, is heat treated to increase spring tension for 10-40% more clamping force. This typically makes the diaphragm more brittle and more subject to premature failure. Many high performance clutch manufacturers use this procedure. Clutch Masters has perfected a more precise method of heat-treating its diaphragms to maintain consistent clamping force without compromising structural integrity.

Double Diaphragm.

The double diaphragm is a method of increasing clamping force by stacking two diaphragms on top of each other. This will typically achieve the desired clamping force but will also increase the pedal pressure to a very high rate. For FX 500 and Multiple Disc set-ups, Clutch Masters uses two separate heat treating processes - one for each diaphragm - to ensure perfect compatibility between the two diaphragms. Additionally, there is a special friction-reducing material between the diaphragms to provide optimum clamping force while maintaining an ultra smooth operation.

Thicker Diaphragm

A thicker (than stock) diaphragm allows extra clamping force but is considered to be an on or off style clutch. Smooth engagement is severely compromised with the thick diaphragm due to the reduced elasticity of the thicker material. Clutch Masters does not use this technique.

Hi-Leveragetm Pressure Plate

By re-engineering the pressure plate leverage ring (moving it closer to the pivot point), Clutch Masters solves the clamping vs. pedal pressure problem in a unique way. By moving the pressure ring, Clutch Masters Hi-Leveragetm Pressure Plates take mechanical advantage of the leverage principle. By moving the leverage ring closer to the pivot point, the pressure applied to the plate is increased significantly without unnecessarily increasing pedal pressure, as is typically the case in other clutches. This Hi-Leveragetm feature is unique to the high-performance clutch industry.

****By combining these various methods of increasing clamping pressure with their re-engineered discs, Clutch Masters has developed a unique way of substantially increasing clutch performance without any of the negative side affects usually found in the typical high performance clutch.****

But STILL…NOTHING about adding bands darn it

shromy wrote: I agree it is a lil confusing, but hell my simple mind figured it out. Course I played with this stuff hands on years ago so I guess it helps. Everything on this site is far from cut and dry. You have to read all 3 or 12 pages sometimes to get it all since no one ever goes through and puts it into one post usually. Just like the 3.3 swap still being a semi mystery but we have been doing it shortly after the 3.3 was introduced.
    ^^ THIS

Very true. A lot of people chime in with slightly different situations or platforms etc and you have to sort out what relates to your situation from theirs sometimes.

MuhKaydenZ wrote: well I ordered a z33 clutch so i'll see how well it works this weekend
    Cool.

I'll check out your thread.

Do you have a 240mm or 250mm Flywheel?

240mm
    Click here to view my Stanced VG33ET Build thread / Click here to view my Feed Back thread

Pics

just ordered a southbend z32 tt clutch for my z31, used the oem tt clutch for over 3 years

Foreign and Domestic Autocare

so, as been discussed about z33 PP.
    there are several:
    30210-CD010 (880kgf) for 250mm) 2002-2004
    30205-CD00B (1010kgf) for 240mm only as assy with clutch disk) 2004-2005
    so, which one will work with z31 240 mm flywheel or both will (and or which one will work with 250 disk)
    Z31 JDM my way_google translated

The pressure plate is the same in the Z31 turbo (240mm) and the Z32 non-turbo. It's not an upgrade to go with a stock Z32 N/A kit. The 350z clutch kit is a direct bolt on to the 240mm flywheel and has more clamping force and a 250mm disc. However, the Z31 and Z32 flywheels have a slight 'step'. You should have your flywheel ground flat when using the 350z clutch kit as the OEM 350z flywheel is also flat. Keep in mind the stock 350z clutch it is rated for approx. 320-350tq at the engine.
    Dave
    Z31P sponsor
    800-988-4345 ext: 114
    http://www.DXDRacingclutches.com

90 Z32 Base 5spd, 05 Z33 Touring 6spd.
    SOLD- 84 Z31 NA2T GLL 5spd

Dave@SBC wrote: The pressure plate is the same in the Z31 turbo (240mm) and the Z32 non-turbo. It's not an upgrade to go with a stock Z32 N/A kit. The 350z clutch kit is a direct bolt on to the 240mm flywheel and has more clamping force and a 250mm disc. However, the Z31 and Z32 flywheels have a slight 'step'. You should have your flywheel ground flat when using the 350z clutch kit as the OEM 350z flywheel is also flat. Keep in mind the stock 350z clutch it is rated for approx. 320-350tq at the engine.
    OK, I caught this, and thanks for tq spec., but, why did I asked about these two sets:
    30210-CD010
    30205-CD00B
    they are from different years of z33, so may be some differences present but, if I catch you correctly - it doesn't matter what year z33PP I'll go to use - 2003 or 2006, both of them will bolt on to z31 240mm flywheel, but,
    late - 30205-CD00B 07.2006 - 11.2006 VQ35DE.MT D240
    1010KGF - will bolt on w/out resurfacing
    early - 30210-CD010 06.2002 - 09.2002 C.VQ35DE.MT D250
    880KGF will require resurfacing (removing of step, which is present on z31 240 mm flywheel)

Did I understood right?
    Z31 JDM my way_google translated

The 2006-up 350z HR and the 370z have a 240mm pressure plate, it's made by LUK and has a self-adjusting mechanism. It has 1830lbs of clamping force. The 350z DE pressure plate had two options, in 2003-2004 it was the standard Exedy 250mm pressure plate with 1790lbs of clamping force. In 2005 they made a change to a 250mm LUK self adjusting pressure plate. I pulled one of these from my car, but forgot to check for clamp load before throwing it in the trash.

All clutches require resurfacing for the break-in of the material. It may take longer or never hold the torque needed if you don't. The reason they say it doesn't is because of the self adjusting mechanism.
    Dave
    Z31P sponsor
    800-988-4345 ext: 114
    http://www.DXDRacingclutches.com

90 Z32 Base 5spd, 05 Z33 Touring 6spd.
    SOLD- 84 Z31 NA2T GLL 5spd