Megasquirt info

89' Turbo-R.I.P. (scrapped)
    87' NA all parts swapped from 89', Stance, 3.3 long block, hx35w, Injector Dynamics 1000cc, isky cams, pathfinder intake, front mount, megasquirt v3.57 w/MS3X
    07 Frontier XE <----(turd) daily

• I went ahead and did the harness via diagram 2.

right now i'm trying to get my pc, megasquirt and stim talking......

Um, probably going to get a 12v power source on here because the 9v battery initially was lighting up the power led on the stim as well as the fiddle led. The center led on the ms cut on for a second and back off. I did this 2 or 3 times to verify the led wasn't blown. It's not.

The msextra code aparently updloaded the 1700+ lines of code. I shut ms off after hitting enter at the end of the upload and unplugged the boot jumper. Bear in mind center led still wasn't on but it said it uploaded the code. I open tuner studio ms and it says com 3 is not a valid port no bluetooth device connected or whatever. Prior to all this i configured my spare usb port for my usb to serial adapter (purchased from diyautotune as they say these have no problems with them.......ok......i have a problem now sooooooo.....) so i cant get the ecu online with tunerstudio ms.

Good stuff. I'll go ahead and jump on the ms forum. Hopefully i can get this sorted and didn't break anything.

Small edit:

When you do use the usb to serial adapter (MAKE SURE YOU GET IT FROM DIYAUTOTUNE BECAUSE THEY ARE KNOWN WORKING UNITS. OTHERS HAVE COM ISSUES BY DESIGN), go to communications and then options in tuner studio ms and you can change com port. However i dont know if you need to mess with the baud rate or driver select. I'll get there though. I'll be hanging out in here for a little bit i guess. Ransacking around on xmas eve trying to find a 12v dc power source. I know i have a couple. Just need to find them. 9v battery is good for one thing and one thing only. Testing the led's on your stimulator. I'm glad i started with an ms1 and jimstim tbh. Bit of confusion with Pin 2, pin 36 and pin 24. I have my shielded wire on pin 24, is this correct? If that's the case, where does pin 2 go? and is pin 36 used to drive the coil/to power transistor/ignitor?
    vg30'd s13 in progress. Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.

• yes you need to make sure the Baud rates correct. Thats important. Most common is 115200. Are you using the factory ignitor?
    slammedfc wrote: I went ahead and did the harness via diagram 2.

right now i'm trying to get my pc, megasquirt and stim talking......

Um, probably going to get a 12v power source on here because the 9v battery initially was lighting up the power led on the stim as well as the fiddle led. The center led on the ms cut on for a second and back off. I did this 2 or 3 times to verify the led wasn't blown. It's not.

The msextra code aparently updloaded the 1700+ lines of code. I shut ms off after hitting enter at the end of the upload and unplugged the boot jumper. Bear in mind center led still wasn't on but it said it uploaded the code. I open tuner studio ms and it says com 3 is not a valid port no bluetooth device connected or whatever. Prior to all this i configured my spare usb port for my usb to serial adapter (purchased from diyautotune as they say these have no problems with them.......ok......i have a problem now sooooooo.....) so i cant get the ecu online with tunerstudio ms.

Good stuff. I'll go ahead and jump on the ms forum. Hopefully i can get this sorted and didn't break anything.

Small edit:

When you do use the usb to serial adapter (MAKE SURE YOU GET IT FROM DIYAUTOTUNE BECAUSE THEY ARE KNOWN WORKING UNITS. OTHERS HAVE COM ISSUES BY DESIGN), go to communications and then options in tuner studio ms and you can change com port. However i dont know if you need to mess with the baud rate or driver select. I'll get there though. I'll be hanging out in here for a little bit i guess. Ransacking around on xmas eve trying to find a 12v dc power source. I know i have a couple. Just need to find them. 9v battery is good for one thing and one thing only. Testing the led's on your stimulator. I'm glad i started with an ms1 and jimstim tbh. Bit of confusion with Pin 2, pin 36 and pin 24. I have my shielded wire on pin 24, is this correct? If that's the case, where does pin 2 go? and is pin 36 used to drive the coil/to power transistor/ignitor?
    87' NA all parts swapped from 89', Stance, 3.3 long block, hx35w, Injector Dynamics 1000cc, isky cams, pathfinder intake, front mount, megasquirt v3.57 w/MS3X

• I'll change the baud rate. I left it alone.

Got them talking. However, my d18 led isn't doing squat. It's not burned up. The solder joints aren't cold. I have no opening flash. If ms wasn't getting power my stim wouldn't be able to tell ms to tell tuner studio what i'm doing to the stim so she's definately getting power.

Only led's that come on when i fire the stim attached to the megasquirt (no pc interface) are:

Stim-power
    Stim-fiddle
    Stim-fuel pump

Fiddle and fuel pump cut on together and then cut off a second after. No flash. Just solid on then off.

With stim+ms+pc+tuner studio i only see the following working on dashboard:

Map
    Coolant temp
    Air intake temp

Tps and rpm aren't showing up. Like i can crank the dashpot either way and it doesn't move on TS dashboard.

MSextra code did upload to the cpu successfully though.

I have a ka24de coil and ignitor. I also have one of those inline bulky ignitors and a vg30e coil. I'm sure the ka ignitor could trigger the larger vg30e coil. No reason it shouldn't, right?

I have 2 ka tps, 1 auto maxima tps and one mtx 300z/s12 tps. Prolly will use the auto since that's what blozup suggested is the proper one to use.

I still have a while to troubleshoot and make decisions. I have to try and get it started/running this month though. I'm going to get ahold of some rx7 s4 na injectors so that should make finding a basemap easier. Timing map may be a problem though with high compression. I'll be running 93 octane.

I can't say it's a giant pain in the ass. I just have alot going on at the moment aside from fiddling with this ms. Lol.

• Baud rates:

9600-ms1

115200-ms2

Extra info for setup: (ms1/2)

data bits: 8
    Stop bits: 1

FLOW CONTROL: NONE

Rate is system dependent. I have an ms1 v2.2 pcb. Any chance the led (or some power component to) failed with the boot jumper in place to upload the extra code? If i alligator clip my led's to test, where do i apply juice? 5v or 12v?

• slammedfc - I just uploaded the latest msextra II code today, and I had to remove the jumper only halfway through the process, it then took at least ten more minutes for the code to finish uploading. It sounds like you quit as soon as you pulled off the jumper. If so, you might want to go through the process again and follow all the prompts. I was able to connect to tuner studio as soon as it was finished.

• No sir. I uploaded extra code the first time. I had my com ports incorrect. That's fixed. Baud rate is what it should be at for my ms1 unit. I'll be testing my fuel pump, enrichment and injector led's on the ms tonight possibly. I've been busy all week cutting, welding, thinking, etc....

• Also, @ black89turbo, have you considered trying out edis 6? If your ignition signal is all over the place you are probably getting noise from somewhere. Your signal wire fully sheilded? Using stock? If so, maybe might want to try using a shielded cable from diyautotune or a music store just to rule out that possibility.

I've picked up my wideband of choice (experimental, never heard of it but i'll disclose more later. I like testing products out that aren't well known.) and 460cc high z rx7 injectors. last on the list is the BIP driver install, proper jumper/ms mods to get this hooker to run and adding the 1k 1/4w pullup between the 12v and green signal wire. I too have a pathy dizzy. If this doesn't work out i will be upgrading to a 6 plug coil pack and run edis. Would take me 2 days and $70 MAX to drop my pulley off, get it turned and get the wheel pressed and tacked it.

Blozup, your msI v2.2 info is down on your site. =(

• I Got everything sorted out ect. put a bit of miles on it in a short amount of time. Switched chassis, motors(3.3), ect and should be up and running shortly.
    slammedfc;323878 wrote: Also, @ black89turbo, have you considered trying out edis 6? If your ignition signal is all over the place you are probably getting noise from somewhere. Your signal wire fully sheilded? Using stock? If so, maybe might want to try using a shielded cable from diyautotune or a music store just to rule out that possibility.

I've picked up my wideband of choice (experimental, never heard of it but i'll disclose more later. I like testing products out that aren't well known.) and 460cc high z rx7 injectors. last on the list is the BIP driver install, proper jumper/ms mods to get this hooker to run and adding the 1k 1/4w pullup between the 12v and green signal wire. I too have a pathy dizzy. If this doesn't work out i will be upgrading to a 6 plug coil pack and run edis. Would take me 2 days and $70 MAX to drop my pulley off, get it turned and get the wheel pressed and tacked it.

Blozup, your msI v2.2 info is down on your site. =(

• Same here. I opted to use a prw-2 ignitor and some other stuff so i can use the coil bracket i already have. Bout ready to toss it in the car soon and see what happens but i'm going to boot the code again just to be sure it's ALL on there. I know without a doubt if anything bigtime slows me down now it'll be megasquirt itself and something i did wrong to it. These are good units, it's usually US that mess it up. Fingers crossed nothing is messed up and all my solder joints are proper!

• Question
    Using this diagram
    http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_arti…80zx_turbo.htm

The 12v+ , is this constant power or key on??
    http://www.youtube.com/user/onefast87

• You need to right click the diagram directly and use img code if you want people to see that without wanting to put their head through their monitor or throw their phone at a wall in frustration.

Are you talking about the the 1k pullup resistor for the distributor wiring? I would say if that's the case, KEY ON. No reason for that wiring to see any sort of power without megasquirt being on and active.

• Batch fire order i wired up today was Bank 1: 1,3,5 Bank 2: 2,4,6. Please stop me if i am wrong! =)

• Meh, it's good enough. Firing order is 123456, so you have even distribution. As even as it can get.

456 would be worse.

I think.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

• We'll find out. Prolly more confident with that decision having read that from ya. thanks!

I've also dug into batch fire vs sequential bigtime and its def something i want to learn more about at a later date. That injector batch grouping (123) (456) was said to work on inline six engines but considering the source i wouldn't take it to heart. . I had seen there are two of the four cas/distributor wires that are primary and secondary trigger. I'll be going off the primary(?) wire to my ms to fire trailing edge off the oem six slot ring and just de-pin the other on the harness plug? Also heard inverted yes and inverted no when using the oem prw-2 ignitor chip. Mostly inverted "yes". Easy to get confused and either destroy it or get no starts over something small. Have came entirely too far. Lol. I haven't wired up my coil/ignitor and did just about everything else.