Holset Turbo Install FAQ, and Holset Info w/ Maps

• Started the car today. RedDemon was my witness… this hx351w hybrid turbo thing makes 6 psi in neutral :-/

not sure if that's a good thing.
    car pulls 21 inches on cold start and 18in on 800rpm idle.
    revving/jabbing the throttle in neutral to 3500 rpm brings the boost to 4 to 6psi under no load.

• gi t er done
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

• shromy wrote: gi t er done
    holset has been done for a while.

• I knows? Why yes I do.
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

• I was just wondering if I'd need nistune and injectors to run a hy35 sorry if this subject has been beaten to death I've read this thread a few times over and probably misread or over looked it

• would be your best bet.
    i can tell i'm running out of fuel or my fuel pump is dying, because at 3000rpm i hit about 10psi and the car starts to sputter and backfire. either it's spark blowout from weak ignition/high resistance, or i'm running out of fuel.

builds boost pretty fast, considering.

i would have minimum:

- adjustable 1:1 fuel pressure regulator
    - upgrade fuel injectors and rails if required.
    - nistune
    - wideband 02
    - high flow fuel pump

• Thnx for the info cuz my stock t3 blew an I'm just trying to find a Turbo that will run with stock components until I wanna turn up the boost and I'd rather have my z

• trivialxhatred wrote: Thnx for the info cuz my stock t3 blew an I'm just trying to find a Turbo that will run with stock components until I wanna turn up the boost and I'd rather have my z
    post in the WTB section. there are people who have conjured up some hybrid turbo setups that are near bolt in and will get you a good bump in horsepower. holset is not a stock turbo upgrade. it will take some fab work and requires other accessories to work. it may sound cheap at first, but to do any turbo system right with all new parts (turbo not included) would cost about 700 or more. Then you add the turbo…

• http://www.shredmotorsport.co.nz/technical/race-fuel/

440kw+ 22psi RB30DET, Stock bottom end, R33 head, Holset HX40 turbo with .63 housing. Has run an 11.1 at the Masterton drag strip.
    that's 590 hp.

• HX30

- The Holset HX30 is suitable for engines of up to 5 litres capacity requiring up to 0.35kg/s of air at 3.1.
    - Aimed at medium duty applications, the Holset HX30 is a well proven turbocharger on many 4 cylinder automotive, bus, agricultural and industrial applications.

Standard Features:
    - Choice of turbine housing materials to cover a wide range of temperatures.
    - Compressor and turbine wheels selected for optimum airflow, efficiency and pressure ratio.
    - Fully adjustable compressor and turbine housing orientation.
    - Fully-floating twin hydrodynamic journal bearings.
    - High efficiency compressors with broad operating ranges.
    - High pressure ratio capability.
    - Superback compressor wheels for extended life and durability at high turbo speeds.
    - Symmetrical twin flow turbine housings.
    - Variety of compressor and turbine housing flanges available.

Optional Features:
    - MWETM (Map Width Enhancement) compressor inlet.
    - Sound suppression baffles.
    - Watercooled bearing housings.

Holset HX30
    For Engine Capacity (litres) = Up to 5
    Output Range (hp) = 90-240
    Airflow (kg/s) = 0.35

DIMENSIONS:
    Length (mm) = 222
    Width (mm) = 217
    Height (mm) = 154
    Smallest Mass (kg) = 8
    Largest Mass (kg) = 10

OPTIONS:
    Wastegate
    Watercooled B/H or T/H

Holset HX35

- Designed primarily for 6 cylinder engines of 5.0 to 6.5 litre capacity, the Holset HX35 turbocharger has higher flow aerodynamics capable of providing up to 0.46 kg/s at 3.0:1 pressure ratio.
    - A number of compressor and turbine options are available all featuring excellent map width, pressure ratio and efficiency.
    - Enhanced durability compressors are available.

Standard Features:
    - Compressor and turbine wheels selected for optimum airflow, efficiency and pressure ratio.
    - Superback compressor wheels for extended life and durability at high turbo speeds.

Optional Features:
    - CNG Engine version.
    - MWETM (Map Width Enhancement)compressor inlet.

Holset HX35
    For Engine Capacity (litres) = 5.0 - 6.5
    Output Range (hp) = 100-280
    Airflow (kg/s) = 0.46

DIMENSIONS:
    Length (mm) = 224
    Width (mm) = 250
    Height (mm) = 169
    Smallest Mass (kg) = 9
    Largest Mass (kg) = 11

OPTIONS:
    Wastegate
    Watercooled B/H or T/H B/H
    Ti Impeller
    MFS Impeller
    CNG Version
    ^- the HY35W uses the same/similar compressor to the HX35.

Holset HX40

- Developed for 7 to 10 litre engines operating in the medium/light heavy automotive sector this Holset turbocharger has many of the features found in the Holset heavy-duty range of products.
    - Generously sized bearings with watercooled housing options for applications with highly cyclic operations support a recently upgraded set of aerodynamic components.
    - Popular in a wide range of automotive and bus applications the Holset HX40 is widely used in European and North American applications.

Standard Features:

Optional Features:
    - High durability impellers available.
    - Command valve boost control.
    - MWETM (Map Width Enhancement) compressor inlet.
    - EWM (Exhaust Waste Management) turbine exducer.

Holset HX40
    For Engine Capacity (litres) = 7 – 10
    Output Range (hp) = 175-350
    Airflow (kg/s) = 0.53

DIMENSIONS:
    Length (mm) = 231
    Width (mm) = 250
    Height (mm) = 169
    Smallest Mass (kg) = 11
    Largest Mass (kg) = 14

OPTIONS:
    Wastegate
    Watercooled B/H or T/H B/H
    MFS Impeller

• so im going to turbo my 86 with a holset i picked up for free, it just needs a rebuild. my question is how do i know which holset turbo it is? as in which model? this will be my first turbo build so i just want to make sure everything gos smooth.

• nothing personal, but if you don't know how to identify the turbo by searching and comparing on various websites, how do you expect this to go smooth? you have a lot of work to do.

start looking at the ID tags, typing in any numbers, and looking up pictures of holsets. You can even take the compressor and turbine covers off and measure the wheels and compare to other sites.

• Careless wrote: nothing personal, but if you don't know how to identify the turbo by searching and comparing on various websites, how do you expect this to go smooth? you have a lot of work to do.

start looking at the ID tags, typing in any numbers, and looking up pictures of holsets. You can even take the compressor and turbine covers off and measure the wheels and compare to other sites.
    thats the thing, i looked for any sort of numbers or anything else along those lines to ID it and couldnt come up with anything. most pictures i look up are all the same. but its all good i just took it to a buddy who works in a import perfomance shop who has a 85 z31 and hes doing everything for me.

• that means its not a real holset or the tag has been taken off. you need to measure the wheels.

• The he351 tag is on the wastegate actuator.
    86na2t + holset

feedback
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6114&hilit=andrew+gardner