Holset Turbo Install FAQ, and Holset Info w/ Maps

• Yeah, its pretty noisy once spooled. When can we get some pics and vids of your car man?
    "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

• soon. I am still sorting out some issues with the new setup.
    86na2t + holset

feedback
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6114&hilit=andrew+gardner

• i found out today cant remember where but that holset made a hx35g that is water cooled. Not sure if anyone new about it but they seem to be at a good price via ebay- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HX35G-35 … ccessories
    white 88t vg33 with t3 and alcohol progressive kit from cooling mist (its an auto though)
    red 88 2+2 flinstones style

• That looks like a Chinese knock off. Hard to tell from the pictures but I don't see any Holset tags on it and the auction doesn't even say its a genuine Holset. I wouldn't buy that one without confirmation that its a true Holset… but I highly doubt it is.

• just a reminder to everyone that we still have a group buy for the downpipes going on… need 2 more to get them made! PM me, respond on this thread, or go to the group buy page and jump on the thread there! Come on guys!!!

1989 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

• Did some research on the HE351VE VGT Turbo. Is there ANYONE who has run one? They seem like a sweet idea and im thinking about trying one ith a custom manifold to move it up front since its so dam big! I would control it with a mechanical wastegate actuator and make it adjustable for more preload, and probably build an adjuster to limit the minimum closure size so that its not too restrictive while cruising around town, and a adjuster on the other end to limit the maximum opening size so that i can acheive high boost levels wthout boost falling off when it opens to a huge 22cm^2 size turbine housing. Check this site out, these turbos are awesome and a few people have fabbed them up and controlled the VGT with wastegate actuators. One guy on there ran a 123mph trap on like 9lbs on a 3.8 liter swapped fiero, and that was before the VGT was controlled. He said he had to tune the VGT to operate right because it would spool too fast if he didnt adjust it larger to begin with.

http://www.turbotalk.org/bb/viewforu…ab62ddd8c1f59f

Im positive these turbos wont fit in stock location. 1) They are HUGE 2) I read somewhere they are not a T3 or T4 flange but its own flange. I will ask again, has ANYONE had some experience with these turbo's? Whether its a Z31 or any car… Keep the contribution to the thread coming!

• I made a thread about these back like a year or 2 ago, there was some good info posted in there. It should come up in a search for holset VGT

I was really thinking about making one work on my car but ditched the idea since im not that concerned with spool time.
    Four Doors for More Whores

• Check out the HX52, huge turbo but many people run them with good results, look at dynos online. I am HIGHLY considering this with a quick spool valve instead of a precision 6262…

• Measurements of HX40 wheels below.

Compressor:
    Inducer - 59.84mm
    Exducer - 81.76mm

Turbine:

Inducer - 76mm
    Exducer - 64.14mm

Note this is the 8 blade compressor wheel. There is a 6, 7, and 8 Blade compressor wheel in the HX40 platforms. The 6 blade flows the most, then 7 blade, then 8 blade flowing the least. I have compressor maps for all 3. Just need to find a place to host them so I can show you guys

• What size is the compressor housing on the 40? I've been thinking of ditching my he 351 for one. This ones compressor contacts my lines on the steering rack and that's with the engine lifted a lil higher than stock.

• No idea?

• Patience young grasshopper. I dont know the size. I believe its a standard size of around .70 A/R for the compressor housing on the HX40. Housing size does not mean much. The difference between a .60 and .70 A/R is negligable, however, the compressor wheel makes a much bigger difference.

Oh and to answer your question…NO you cannot swap a HE351 compressor housing onto a HX35. They do not just bolt on, they are different…

A. Probably attach differently
    B. Different size compressor housing backplate
    C. Different size compressor wheel inducer
    D. Different size compressor wheel exducer

It will not swap

• Yeah, I wasn't wanting to swap compressor housings. I just wanted to know how big the hx40 physically was compared to my HE because I know physically that the HE is bigger than your hx. So, if they made the hx40 and HE compressor size the same when I go to a 40 I wont have to modify too much more. Thats all, lol! I know they wont swap that much research I have done, I am pretty much stuck with the wheels and housings that come on my turbo.

• Far as the compressor housing there is not much size difference between the 35 and 40 the turbine is a bit larger. If I can find some time I'll get the outside dimensions. I'm experimenting between the 35, 35/40, and the 40…the 50 is seized and it is silly to use for my power goals.
    88na2T-s13,q45 swap 12.6@110mph
    87T 2+2 auto,stock

• Dunno if anyone has posted this yet but here is a picture of just how big an HX55 is....Yeah pretty monstrous…I overheard a guy talking about putting one on his Common Rail Cummins and the specs are just stupid. "T6 footprint, 25cm^2 exhaust housing. 65mm inducer and 100mm exducer on the compressor" I have hard of people running this turbo on DSM's but the supporting mods required would just be mind boggling.
    Proud owner of an '84 Turbo, $200 saved it from the crusher.