Holset Turbo Install FAQ, and Holset Info w/ Maps

Re: Holset Turbo Install FAQ (and Holset Info w/ Maps, p5)

That turned out really nice gardner! Yeah I think there's only two other guys running these on vg's. Mine spools a little later than I would like but its ok 3500rpms seems to be where it comes on. Also, I am running a stock t3 actuator with the holset wastegate flapper and have had zero boost creep issues. Anyone looking at this turbo or any of the later designed holsets should really consider them. I can't wait to get nistune and my m30 ecu going with this setup. Another thing I would like to mention is this turbo is relatively quiet compared to the old t3 and other holset setups. I do have the silencer ring removed as well. Peace.
    "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

roastin300 wrote: The Holset Turbocharger FAQ
    By: Roastin300

For the intake before the compressor you can go many routes from a pipe motor mount setup, a new motor mount to route big 4” piping to it, the sky is the limit. If you have a MAP sensor with a speed-density system like myself, I run a little butterfly filter right on the compressor inlet with no extra piping to deal with!

You will need to rotate the center section and compressor housing as needed to fit right in the vehicle to line up the compressor outlet, oil feed and oil return. This is called “clocking” the turbo and is fairly easy to do with it test-fitted in place.

That’s it; happy hunting for a used Holset!
    so this is the part I dont get. do holsets have two intakes?what does it mean by mount the pipe to a motor mount??about what is an equal comparison to a HT3B?
    "85 na2t"(WILL MAKE WITH THE GO FAST!!!)
    trapped in a maze therefore I am amazin

Its easier IMO to just use a turbo relocation pipe like what SATAN sells.
    Roastin is talking about intake setups like what Jason has pictured on his site where the intake tube is actually used as a motor mount. If your adventurous and don't want to do a blow through MAF setup, leave the holset in the stock location, and don't want to buy a relocation pipe then you will have to route the intake this way.
    I have no clue what turbo that is or what its equivalent too. My suggestion is type it into google with a search for compressor maps. Most likel a million DSM sites will come up or diesel truck forums.

oh, so If I dont want to get a relocation pipe then I have to use the intake as a motor mount because otherwise the stock one gets in the way? I got the turbo. That sob is huge. But I read a forum where a ka-t guy had it on his 240sx and got 9psi at 4200. but we should get the equivalent at probably about 3500-3700 right? I might go with a hx35 trubine side eventually if the lag is too bad.

H1C/WH1C:

In 1994, there was the Wh1c which has pretty much the identical compressor as the hx35 but with a Vband compressor cover. The turbine wheel is the same. It will bolt into the BEP bolton hx35 turbine housing. It has 4 bolts at the housing instead of 6. So you will need to buy 2 more bolts and use 6 washers cut to make a flat side. Honestly, I just used bolts that were cut a little short and the bolt head was wide enough to pull the chra to the turbine housing. No sealing issues. Since the Wh1c is for all practical purposes an 8blade hx35 the spool and flow is the same too.

I have the big h1c. It comes on the INTERCOOLED 1991-1993 cummins pickups. It has the webbing for MWE but no groove cut like the hx35/wh1c has. This turbo I term the big h1c because it has a 54mm compressor inducer and same exducer than the 8blade hx35/Wh1c. The other h1c is the small h1c found on the NON-intercooled cummins pickups. This has a 50mm inducer but only 7blades and has no webbing for MWE. Less blades helps flow, but so does a larger inducer diameter. The most whp ever recorded on a gas 4cylinder with the small h1c was done on a KA24 nissan: 411whp. Since the big h1c has a 4mm larger inducer and the same turbine wheel as the hx35, it is safe to say that it flows enough for between 411whp and 500whp. The diesel sources state that it flows SLIGHTLY less than the early hx35. So 4lb/min less than the 8blade hx35 puts the flow of the big h1c at 48-49lb/min right where a 50-trim or 20g is. The small bep housing is all that's needed to get the most from the compressor and the spool speed is 20+psi by 3500rpms.I got this off another forum, I know there is not much on here about the h1c so…

Good info indeed! Makes me wonder about some of the wh1's I passed up in the J-yards.

i have one, just stole it from a dude yesterday for 100 bucks

Well I would look through all the different setups people have ran and figure out which is best for you. I run the stock location with my Holset and a blow through setup. It was easy for me since the engine was out.

I want to do blow through, what maf did you use?and I am pulling the motor out anyway because I gotta change my pressure plate/clutch. I am definately considering of going topmount because of its ease of access and the high rate this would allow oil to return with. I dont think my turbo is internally wastegated though. is there any way to tell without taking it apart?

Until you get some sort of tuning capability I would stick with the stock MAF for now on a blow through setup. A number of guys on this board including myself run it this way. Don't bother with the internal gate setups on Holsets, it will just linearly rise with rpm(boost creep). It will rise until you run out of fuel and your engine gives up.
    So, stick with the relocation idea and external gate.

yea somebody posted it on here that they used their stock wastegate actuator to control the holsets internal wg. but I dont see a place for mine so it must be external.

Dpes the ID plate read hx35 or hx35w?

h1c, i didnt check for a w, i will when i get home

nope it just says H1c. and there is no internal wastegate. which means I have to research how exactly to hook up an external wastegate.

when you get a relocation pipe make sure it has the provisions for an external gate.

Hey gardner, I found this place called www.vulcanperformance.com and they carry the correct size flange and v-band. Their prices arent to bad and their local to me; check em out for your custom holset needs! peace.