Holset Turbo Install FAQ, and Holset Info w/ Maps

• Anyone know specs on the small H1C
    Ive had a few hx55s. Im currently looking for a hx52 or 55 for compound setup.

• Holset Turbo facebook page - by Holset wrote:

How to use the internal wastegate on HX30/HX35/HX40 'W' Holsets on a petrol car

This means you dont have to run an external wastegate if you wanted to save some cash/effort/complexity.

Its common knowledge that the internal wastegate setups on a lot of larger Holsets are no good for a petrol car, but they are much more commonly found as internal gate turbos. Most just block em off- but it turns out the mods to make em work well arent that much.

The wastegate arm/penny itself- It barely opens as standard, and this is the main problem. The reason it doesnt is it hits the 5bolt back plate of the turbine housing. Simply get a 10mm thick mild steel flange cut out using the template of the backplate, use 10mm longer bolts, and sandwitch the plate between the turbine housing and the backplate. This lets the wastegate open fully and give good flow.

Wastegate hole- Just port it, its not that big as standard, but not that small either. Either way, it can be ported out a fair few mm with a drill/dremel/etc really easily.

Actuator- Depends on the turbo and depends on the boost- Most are set too high for most cars (worth checking before you change it), but ones off other cars with actuators with a 2piece threaded arm bolt on pretty easy, standard thread and 2bolt fixing 99% of the time.

On divided housings the wastegate comes off only one side- Not much of a problem as 99% of people run them on non-divided manifolds, but simply drilling through the wastegate hole and through the divider works.

These days external wastegates are so cheap its no biggie to just block it off, but this deffo gives another option.

• Does anyone know if the HE351 or HE341 compressor housing fits the HX35W compressor backplate and wheel?

This would make routing piping for me a ton easier.

• No it does not. I have an he351cw and the compressor wheel is bigger than an hx35
    86na2t + holset

feedback
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6114&hilit=andrew+gardner

• My Hx35 came with a v-band outlet but it's 2.5". Does anyone know where the 3" v-band adapters are sold? Apparently they used to be more common before. I was also thinking of opening up the current adapter/flange and have a 3" tube welded to it but I was told steel can't be welded to iron? Or that it was difficult to do?
    vg33et

• They make rod for dissimalr metals, I had to cut a notch through my iron DP for my steering shaft to clear. I brazed in a piece of chromoly steel pipe and never had a problem with it.
    "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

• gardner86zx wrote: No it does not. I have an he351cw and the compressor wheel is bigger than an hx35
    Do you know if the later HY35 compressor housings with the 90* outlet fits? The wheels are the same size, no?

• The compressor wheel on the he351 is the size of the hx40......
    "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

• yeah i'm axxin' boot the HY35 now. some of the came with the 90* housing. same wheel size as the HX35…

just peeped my engine bay… looks like if I can get a 90* outlet housing, the short-pipe intercooler setup will be as close to how I invisioned it without moving to a forward-mounted turbo (will do later).

total piping would be about 48 inches. 1.5 feet on the pre-cooled side, and 2.5 feet after the intercooler.

Once I get the front facing plenum, total piping will be 2.5 feet or less.

• [quote]Careless wrote:
    Originally posted by gardner86zx
    No it does not. I have an he351cw and the compressor wheel is bigger than an hx35
    Do you know if the later HY35 compressor housings with the 90* outlet fits? The wheels are the same size, no?
    see HERE, if thats the same style.. than the answer is yes. It even had a nice metric port to put a boost controller

Not a HY but an HX

• I was thinking of buying that piece, but it puts the pipe too far up for me. I want to take the HX35… and bolt on this HY35 housing here, which has the same wheel size:

[attachment=0xtyfw26]Click image for larger versionName14BvsHolset.jpgViews28391Size38.jpg[/attachmentxtyfw26]

I would eventually grind away the wastegate boss and polish the shit.

I don't care if the compressor housing is a little worse in sizing, it will make my install much cleaner and I'm jsut trying to make it look good while replacing my current turbo with one that actually makes boost… I likes da cleanstuffs moar.

• looks like the HY35 backing plate and the compressor cover need to both be swapped, so the wheel needs removed and then reinstalled.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…

• Been reading that the HE341, 351, and 431 are supposed to have Cast Titanium compressor wheels.

just thought I'd put it here.

• HE351VE

Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
    Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

• that's what I just bought (entire cold side).

how do you think it will fare?

it's essentially a hx40 hybrid. I'm on the fence about actually modifying the turbo i have now… not sure if HX40/351 will be too big for my goals. (350 - 400whp)