VG33 heads on VG30 block

Originally posted by 300zxturboftw View Post
    Plz answer this jaqattack! Did you use vg 33 LIM or 30 LIM? I want to get mine squared off before I tune.
    30 LIM can use matching injectors, 33 LIM must use matching style - the diameter is different for injector O-ring seal. easiest/ideal 33 set up is short block only.

gasket for LIM to a/b-W-OWO heads all line up the same.

Quality is the difference. Victor Reinz, Beck Arnley, and similar class of gaskets mfg's run the multilayer metal with rubber gaskets around the coolant passages. I've seen the Fel-pro are pressed paper, big loss of qulaity and difference from original style gasket.

the lower intake is 30. using Victor Reinz gaskets I believe, as they are the metal with a plastic/rubber liner of the holes. like stock.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Axel kain View Post
    the lower intake is 30. using Victor Reinz gaskets I believe, as they are the metal with a plastic/rubber liner of the holes. like stock.
    They were FelPro intake gaskets. Victor Reinz head gaskets. And yes, I'm running all VG30 parts besides the heads themselves.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

*and valve springs, cams…

sigpic

Originally posted by Axel kain View Post
    *and valve springs, cams…
    Yeah, but they don't have anything to do with how the pieces go back together.

My 1986 Turbo Build

This is what I was referencing. All my air ports line up pretty well, but here's the drivers side injector hole:

Here's passenger side:

Talking very very small amounts to be machined, which I actually had done. Helped a tiny bit but still off. I know someone else mentioned they had the same issue. It really shouldn't effect things too much as the spray should be well in the cylinder before catching that edge.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

where's the gasket in that first picture though?

sigpic

Sorry…that's the same side. They line up with out the gasket showing how much material needed to be taken off to line up. Didn't make much sense considering it was like .050 or something ridiculous. Machined off .020 and it cuts in to the injector ports. Kind of confused as what to do next other than something custom…which is silly considering everything else that has to connect.

As long as the gasket seals around the part you can't see, you can safely remove the visible part -- though I do realize this will be a challenge without pulling the head

Could just make sure the valve is closed then drill it like it is, pull the LIM off and vacuum/blow out the shavings.
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…2-2-(-now-NA2T
    My build thread (:

We'll see if i have issues while tuning. I'm going to put some boost into the car on wednesday.

I honestly didn't even check that on mine, but it's running fine, so I'm not worried about it. If I take things apart again I'll take a look though.

My 1986 Turbo Build

You need the thinner style gasket.

Originally posted by got boost? View Post
    You need the thinner style gasket.
    Nope, Already tried it.

I noticed this years ago. I even brought it up when I was making custom lower intake flanges, that kind of mis alignment also tells me that your ports don't match well either and you could be losing a few ponies. A miniscule amount but, definitely something funky going on. I am thinking the vg33 manifolds were cut less than the early 30 manifolds. It might be worth measuring the heights of your ports next time you have the LIM off and seeing where your parts currently are at, machined wise.
    "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"