boring a vg30 out to vg33 will Not work

[quote]SATAN wrote: [quote=G-E]
    Originally posted by defrag010
    how much would you think a 3.8L vg shortblock would go for?make one and find out
    Sell for or cost to build?

I am assuming sell for. If I were to put in the time and money and then sell it, with forged internals… $3500 short block only.
    Sounds about right to me. I would probably want at least that for the research, parts, time, and in order to guarantee it could all be done with the best quality work possible.
    1985 300ZX N/A -- Schneider Racing Cams + Valve Springs - U/R Underdrive Pulley - Ported/Polished Heads -
    MSA Headers - MGP Intake Manifold - K&N Air Filter - Electric Cooling Fan -

ah, I'm just wondering what somebody would actually pay for it if I built one. I tried to sell a rebuilt vg30 on here like last year that had forged pistons, and I didn't get any offer that was over 700 shipped. LOL… so I kinda had z31 people pegged as being on the "budget" side of buying stuff for their cars (no offense).

So you guys would dish out some $$ for a 3.8L vg if someone else already built it?

defrag010 wrote: So you guys would dish out some $$ for a 3.8L vg if someone else already built it?
    No, I would want to buy the parts and build it myself. That way I don't want to kill somebody else if it breaks down… plus I just wouldn't feel right about letting somebody else build my motor. So far, everything done to my car has been done by myself and I, and I would really like to keep it that way.

All that, AND I'll never have all the money at one time to buy one already built. Its easier on my wallet if I can buy the parts and assemble it on my own schedule.
    1985 300ZX N/A -- Schneider Racing Cams + Valve Springs - U/R Underdrive Pulley - Ported/Polished Heads -
    MSA Headers - MGP Intake Manifold - K&N Air Filter - Electric Cooling Fan -

defrag010 wrote: so I kinda had z31 people pegged as being on the "budget" side of buying stuff for their cars (no offense).

So you guys would dish out some $$ for a 3.8L vg if someone else already built it?
    This is exactly right. The problem is, the people that potentially have the money to drop on something like this, dont want to be the test subjects on something that has not been tried before. Also the people the do have the money for something like this are very VERY few and far between.

People here aren't generally going to dish out big bucks for something that is already built. This is why I only build things AFTER people pay for it. There are times people don't like waiting for stuff but, what is worse having them wait for it after they pay, or you paying to have it done and then waiting for someone to buy it?

The z31 crowd is a broke ass crowd, my self included.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

better to make one for yourself, and offer it for sale to guage its value, but not actually make any to sell without a big deposit

G-E wrote: better to make one for yourself, and offer it for sale to guage its value, but not actually make any to sell without a big deposit
    Big ass deposit meaning - the entire cost to put it together.

Hello, newbie on the forum, I'm not new to the VG crowd though. I'm currently in the process of putting a W-Block VG30e, in a 1991 240sx, I only have the motor mounts I need to weld in. I stumbled across this article, I was wondering if one could really bore the vg33 all the way out to 99mm, that would be insane with some good head work and a nice velocity stack intake design. Anyway just trying to keep the thread alive.

This has been answered in another thread. I have a Vg33 sitting in the shop right now waiting for pistons to show up. Bore is currently 97mm and will be 97.5mm once pistons show up. There is still plenty of material on the thrust side to continue to bore the block out to 99mm. However at this point it should be considered a race only engine, because should anything happen (at 99mm) your going to junk the block.
    The bullshit stops, when the GREEN light drops.

Only babies cry about the bottle.

[quote]defrag010 wrote:
    Originally posted by MachZ
    one I can think of off the top of my head is custom headgaskets that you'd need for the big bore.
    So with there being no custom head gasket available, there is no way to get a 3.8L up and running? I don't think you could modify the stock one that much. What are people planning on doing for the HG, I don't know, I don't have a head gasket just laying around to look at.

It wouldn't be very hard to have a custom set of headgaskets made up… Jason might even be able to have a MLS set made up. I doubt that it would be so different that it would warrant any development.
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

cometic will make you a gasket with whatever bore you want

well guys I need to keep this thread alive because I think, I'm going to be the one to do this, and I will proudly be the test subject for such a great engine.

well to start off I should hopefully getting a vg33 bare block this weekend or so. First off would to actually get the block bored out to work with the 4.0L stroker kit for it, with a not so high compression for boost.

plans after would be try to twin turbo charge it.

well I really have someone to actually help me build this, but im going to try and do as much as possible myself.
    1uz Swapped, lowered, flaked out '86 z31
    '72 Datsun 510 4dr, ka24de-T, slammed resto mod
    '84 z31 turbo, coils, wheels a.k.a the gfs weekend car
    '86 na2t parts for now a.k.a eventually will get running with a/c daily
    '83 280zx project backburner a.k.a ls turbo drag car one day
    Custom vg30et tube chassis drift exocet project

badboyz31 wrote: well guys I need to keep this thread alive because I think, I'm going to be the one to do this, and I will proudly be the test subject for such a great engine.

well to start off I should hopefully getting a vg33 bare block this weekend or so. First off would to actually get the block bored out to work with the 4.0L stroker kit for it, with a not so high compression for boost.

well I really have someone to actually help me build this, but im going to try and do as much as possible myself.
    UMMM HI! WELCOME TO LAST YEAR!

The engine sitting in my car is a 97.5mm bore stock stroke VG33. This is the engine that will be utilizing the twin GT35R setup. My block had enough wall thickness to bore it all the way to 99mm and leave sufficiant wall thickness for a decent amount of boost.

Im not a fan of offset grinding a crank to increase stroke. Therefore I wont use the stroker kit.

[quote]ZFast88Z wrote:
    Originally posted by badboyz31
    well guys I need to keep this thread alive because I think, I'm going to be the one to do this, and I will proudly be the test subject for such a great engine.

UMMM HI! WELCOME TO LAST YEAR!

The engine sitting in my car is a 97.5mm bore stock stroke VG33. This is the engine that will be utilizing the twin GT35R setup. My block had enough wall thickness to bore it all the way to 99mm and leave sufficiant wall thickness for a decent amount of boost.

Im not a fan of offset grinding a crank to increase stroke. Therefore I wont use the stroker kit.
    Is that the stroker kit he is talking about? I have only heard of one stroker kit and I THINK it is from JUN??? I don't know. But, yeah if you are planning on making big power, then offset grinding the crank is not the best coarse of action IMO.

PAECO offers a VG stroker kit that increase stroke by .250 inch. When I did the math when i first started overboring the VG33 I found it was possible to make a 4.0L VG30 when combining the stroker crank with a 99mm "Safe" overbore.