boring a vg30 out to vg33 will Not work

Careless wrote: if you're building it up. source your flywheel, clutch, crank, and aftermarket rods from a Z32 300zx, and get pistons custom made. that should get you started and with a heck of a lot of iron to strengthen that blocks bones and improve it's motor skills!
    Either I'm really tired or that last part is very very funny! Are the rods and crank from a z32 stronger than the z31 ones? Is the lobes on the crank the same as the z31 also? Sorry about questions just want to make sure I get the parts that work best.

So sleepy

I am using the stock Z31 VG30ET crank. Will I break it? There is a possibility. Will you break it? More then likely not.
    The bullshit stops, when the GREEN light drops.

Only babies cry about the bottle.

yea this is what i'm wanting to know now, cause I need to buy a crank, but i dont know whether to go with the z32 or z31 crank or not.
    1uz Swapped, lowered, flaked out '86 z31
    '72 Datsun 510 4dr, ka24de-T, slammed resto mod
    '84 z31 turbo, coils, wheels a.k.a the gfs weekend car
    '86 na2t parts for now a.k.a eventually will get running with a/c daily
    '83 280zx project backburner a.k.a ls turbo drag car one day
    Custom vg30et tube chassis drift exocet project

Ask yourself:

Self, am I going to make a 1000 horsepower?

Answers:

Self, Im not going to make 1000 horsepower so any VG crank will be just fine

Self, I am going to make 1000 horsepower. The VG will have to be just fine, because self, I am not paying 4500 for a billet steel crank.

Self, I am going to make 1000 horsepower, and I am a baller. I will buy a new billet crankshaft.

ZFast88Z wrote: Ask yourself:

Answers:

Self, I am going to make 1000 horsepower. The VG will have to be just fine, because self, I am not paying 4500 for a billet steel crank.

Self, I am going to make 1000 horsepower, and I am a baller. I will buy a new billet crankshaft.
    hahaha thanks, well cause I have found both cranks, I found multiple z31 cranks, but I also found a z32TT crank, and just trying to decide which would be the best to go with. Cause some say the z32 crank is better and some say the z31 crank is better, so basically I really want to know which is better.

[quote]badboyz31 wrote:
    Originally posted by ZFast88Z
    Ask yourself:

Answers:

hahaha thanks, well cause I have found both cranks, I found multiple z31 cranks, but I also found a z32TT crank, and just trying to decide which would be the best to go with. Cause some say the z32 crank is better and some say the z31 crank is better, so basically I really want to know which is better.
    Well, we all know for a fact that the z32 crank will hold 1000+whp. What do we know for a fact that the z31 crank will hold?
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

SATAN wrote: Well, we all know for a fact that the z32 crank will hold 1000+whp. What do we know for a fact that the z31 crank will hold?
    about a 1000hp, I guess it really does not matter which I go with

I didn't know that the z32 crank or the z31 crank would hold that! Wow I don't plan to make near that much. I want to keep it street able. lol maybe 600 whp sounds good to me. I'll be happy if I hit 500. Can't wait to find the vg33 now. To bad the girl just spent a lot of my money on a puppy.

So sleepy

Z32 crank is better, I don't know if the NA crank is the same as the turbo though so make sure it comes from a turbo (unless someone else can verify that they use the same crank).

TurboDreams wrote: Z32 crank is better, I don't know if the NA crank is the same as the turbo though so make sure it comes from a turbo (unless someone else can verify that they use the same crank).
    And you heard this from where?

[quote]ZFast88Z wrote:
    Originally posted by TurboDreams
    Z32 crank is better, I don't know if the NA crank is the same as the turbo though so make sure it comes from a turbo (unless someone else can verify that they use the same crank).
    And you heard this from where?
    His turbo dreams with his maxima.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

I don't remember but I googled it and behold

http://autospeed.com.au/cms/title_Th…0/article.html
    "The crankshaft was also made from micro-alloyed steel, strengthened at the webs. The VG30DETT crank is 10 per cent stiffer than that fitted to the VG30DE. "

Stiff does not always mean stronger with crankshafts. To stiff and the crankshaft cracks at the first sign of excessive cylinder pressures.

BTW, the Z31 crankshaft has a thicker case hardening then the Z32.

I'm going to stick with the 30ET crank as well for my VG33+ build. Seems like the dollar to headache ratio is pretty low for it, as opposed to billet or hacking up a Z32 crank for what seems to be a marginal strength increase.

I'll stick to letting my dollar to headache ratio run wild for the other crap I have to get like pistons and rods.
    Chicks dig me, rust fears me.

I still see no real reason for swaping in anything but a 3.0 crank. has anyone here ever seen a broken vg30e crank or even a rod for that matter that was truly caused by hp/tq? I have seen a couple from very overheated/poorly maintained blocks that flew apart, but none from power. I still say that using the 3.0 crank is the best way to do a 3.3 swap, it just makes everything so easy. careless did find out some interesting things but, is there value for it? some of the extra cash he spent wouldnt need to be done now since he explained how he did it, but with the 3.3 crank known to break from time to time then why use it. course i still remember danny and others that used to machine the 3.3 crank to fit the z accessories. things have come a long way since then.
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT