Z31 Turbo 5spd Oil Pump vs. Z31 Turbo Auto Oil Pump

• Z31 Turbo 5spd Oil Pump vs. Z31 Turbo Auto Oil Pump

Well I tore down the Shiro engine that my customer got with his new Shiro not too long ago. Found out some surprising facts regarding the differences between these two oil pumps. It seems that as the years progressed the oil pumps gradually got bigger and better. Its sort of interesting to see the progression in which Nissan took in upgrading the parts as the times evolved.

Z31 Turbo 5spd Oil Pump

Inner Gear:

Total Thickness - .739"
    Gear Teeth Thickness - ..493"

Z31 Turbo Auto Oil Pump

Inner Gear:

Teeth Thickness - .610"
    Total Thickness - .842"

Z31 Turbo 5spd Oil Pump

Outer Gear:

O.D - 2.937"
    I.D - 2.510"
    Thickness - .491"

Z31 Turbo Auto Oil Pump

Outer Gear:

O.D - 2.939"
    I.D - 2.570"
    Thickness - .609"

Images of the differences:

Nissan Race Engine Machine Shop
    Dedicated to VG performance and design http://www.epracing.net

Re: Z31 Turbo 5spd Oil Pump vs. Auto Oil Pump

great pictures!

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

I think it is great to be able to see side by side why the auto turbo oil pump is better.

Now you just need to make some high quality gears for the auto turbo oil pump, along with your proven higher flowing oil pump modifications! That would be awesome.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

thank you…I weighed the two gear sets as well. I'm just waiting for my digital cam to recharge to take images of those. You can tell right away that the Turbo Auto pump is made of better material as far as the gears are concerned. The inner gear I weighed came in at over 20+grams from the Auto than that of the 5spd. Definitely an improvement over the 5spd to say the least.

Soon to come…after thanksgiving I'll have the new cad file drawn and I will have at least 10 sets of gears made for the Auto pumps. I just need to buy the 10 auto pumps and then do my modifications to the housings and then assemble them with the new gears and the Z31 community will have its very own HD Ported Turbo Oil Pump.

Tech@EPR wrote: I just need to buy the 10 auto pumps and then do my modifications to the housings and then assemble them with the new gears and the Z31 community will have its very own HD Ported Turbo Oil Pump.
    How much will one of these exact pumps cost a customer?

can't say for now…have to price out gears and the cost of a new pump first. Then I can put a label on it and price it. Won't be long though.

Tech@EPR wrote: can't say for now…have to price out gears and the cost of a new pump first. Then I can put a label on it and price it. Won't be long though.
    How do you plan on showing before and after flow results for an OEM auto turbo pump VS. the new ported version? Also, you said the gears would be something like a 4140 Cr-Mo right?

well all I'm doing is making the same gear out of stronger material. I'm not increasing the dimension of the gears themselves from what the Auto ones are already. Just making them out of better/stronger material. So pressures will show nearly the same but the recovery and efficiency of the pump is where the work will show its pay off.

The ultimate test will be showing this Shiro engine I'm building maintain oil pressure above 7500RPM and doesn't fault by cracking or distorting.

Tech@EPR wrote: well all I'm doing is making the same gear out of stronger material. I'm not increasing the dimension of the gears themselves from what the Auto ones are already. Just making them out of better/stronger material. So pressures will show nearly the same but the recovery and efficiency of the pump is where the work will show its pay off.

The ultimate test will be showing this Shiro engine I'm building maintain oil pressure above 7500RPM and doesn't fault by cracking or distorting.
    So wait… They are NOT going to be ported now like you stated before? So then all you are modifying is the gear set in an OEM Auto turbo oil pump right? I'm a little confused now.

This is why I was wondering… Obviously pressures would stay the same even IF the pump had larger gears. I was wondering about how you would go about showing that a pump FLOWED more. You can create a higher PSI by shimming the spring. But that is not what we want to do. We want more flow, not more PSI.

Also, if you could please help me understand how the recovery would be better in this pump, I would appreciate that. I honestly do not even know which recovery you are speaking of. But how does just changing the material the gears are made out of, do anything to the pump OTHER than make it stronger?

No…all the pumps I offer will be ported with upgraded gears and so forth. No matter what, any of the oil pumps that I sell with be ported. The purpose of the porting is to increase cross section of the oil pumps passages and allow it to flow more efficiently with a better recovery rate. If we solve this criteria the oil pump issues will be solved…you guys just now need to focus on a harmonic damper and then you guys will be rockin.

Recovery in the form of getting oil back to the pump and through the pump cycle faster and easier. Thats the recovery I speak of. Right now there are large sections of the pump that are a big restriction in how the oil pump flows. You make those more efficient and the recovery improves. It all works together. Aside from the porting…making the gears stronger enables you to have less distortion to the gears, withstand harmonics better, won't flex under load or crack easily due to the material, and being that I will WPC coat each gear set will ultimately make this gear set thrive for a VERY long time.

So porting the passages rather than the housing gear chamber itself. Yes?

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

yes the passages…you can't port the housing chamber..that would affect housing dimension of the gears and lead to pump failure.

why stronger gears? Will that alone keep it flowing at high rpm? Have you heard of pump gears breaking?
    Thanks for taking the time to work on improvements for th VG30ET's.
    Also when do you think you'll have the engine done and running?
    I have my block done but the heads are getting some work done so I still have time to incorporate any positive findings.
    Shiro #443

Thats a pretty significant difference between the two oil pumps. Now does anyone know if the auto turbo oil pump is the same through out the years?
    " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
    LaterZ

Rick88ss wrote: why stronger gears? Will that alone keep it flowing at high rpm? Have you heard of pump gears breaking?
    Thanks for taking the time to work on improvements for th VG30ET's.
    Also when do you think you'll have the engine done and running?
    I have my block done but the heads are getting some work done so I still have time to incorporate any positive findings.
    There have been many that have stated in a previous thread that oil pump gears are cracking and breaking on them. Many have never understood why but my gatherings is due to harmonics coupled with stress and distortion.