Z31 Turbo 5spd Oil Pump vs. Z31 Turbo Auto Oil Pump

[quote]Tech@EPR wrote:
    Originally posted by Careless
    I think Mitch got a little peeved that we were asking for hard data in other threads, so he jumped ship on Z31P.
    That's just the way it is 'round hurrrrrr.
    Nope…just read what you folks have to say. I just kick back and look now a days. I didn't take the images down…the photobucket account exceeded in bandwidth. No ones peeved and still to this day I haven't seen anyone post any hard data on anything we've talked about previously.
    Without getting back into that convo, I'll just say for the record that the people who were irritated with what was claimed or said were the ones who were asking for the data, not making promises. Redemption is easy for anyone to attain on Z31P. Just as fast as one can be cast out.

And I didn't meant to accuse you of taking the pics down. I just figured that's what happened because it says they "have been moved or deleted". When the bandwidth is exceeded, it says the bandwidth has been exceeded. Just sayin…

260DET wrote:
    Originally posted by Careless
    First of all I don't accept that the Z32 has a gear tooth design pump, the ones I have physically inspected have the wavey design. Maybe the early ones did but I doubt it.

Secondly, I would not take too much notice of that comment about which pumps do and don't have a turbo capacity. A ball bearing turbo requires very little lubrication, typically the oil feed incorporates a restrictor to limit supply. Also there was no test data given as which pumps flowed what.
    Mitch (Tech@EPR) posted the pictures of the internals of the Z32 pump. It's much like what I've linked from Nissan Nuts page, just about 20% larger if I remember. He posted a powerpoint presentation at one point. Fact is, they use the same gear design. The VG30DET, as you said, may have the different one since you've seen it yourself.

And I've not seen any posts from Mike in a long time my self. They were all back-tracked cached posts. Our knowledge-base of these engines has come a long way since then, and the power from the standard fare VG engine has since doubled on most street driven motors on these parts. In such little time, that's not too bad for an engine that seems to have gotten little exposure in the street-racing circles lately. It gets more exposure in the rock-climbers from what I can see.

Fact is, he knows his VG's. I do not have enough information from his post, nor from my own experience to quantify whether or not a Turbo motor requires much more oil, but I believe what he was getting at was the fact that the oil wears thin once it passes through the turbo due to the heat generated. Having a lack of pressure and volume means any orifice, restricted or not, will reduce pressure at a higher rate as the engine is pushed harder and harder. I've not tracked the motor yet, so I cannot say.

But I think before I do, I will be putting in an accusump and a hobbs switch to cut the motor power if oil pressure gets below where it should be. After I get my SPA Dual gauges for temp/pressure though.

Still wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the gears though. I don't know enough about the designs to say anything, I just noticed the difference between two different applications.

Z32 twinturbo pumps have a gear tooth design…the NAs have the "wave" design. Both have the same housings but the twinturbo pumps have larger and thicker gears. The NAs are vastly inferior to the TT pumps. I would dare say that even the NA pumps (if they were interchangeable) will flow more oil than the stock turbo and even the AT Turbo oil pumps.

As for the images....I wasnt going to purchase a photobucket account just to increase bandwidth for ppl to view when I owned 10gigs of webspace with my website. I just uploaded the images on my server and kept them there.
    Nissan Race Engine Machine Shop
    Dedicated to VG performance and design http://www.epracing.net

Tech@EPR wrote: Z32 twinturbo pumps have a gear tooth design…the NAs have the "wave" design. Both have the same housings but the twinturbo pumps have larger and thicker gears. The NAs are vastly inferior to the TT pumps. I would dare say that even the NA pumps (if they were interchangeable) will flow more oil than the stock turbo and even the AT Turbo oil pumps.
    Do you mean to say either of the Z32 pumps will out-flow any of the Z31 pumps? Wavy or Toothed?

Tech@EPR wrote:

As for the images....I wasnt going to purchase a photobucket account just to increase bandwidth for ppl to view when I owned 10gigs of webspace with my website. I just uploaded the images on my server and kept them there.
    Point taken. My apologies.

Yes…judging by the size of the gears and overall area of the pump itself even the NA pumps will flow more than the Z31 oil pumps. The only way to find this out for sure is to run a test but honestly I don't see that being feesable in fabricating a test bench to find flow analysis. I'm merely making my statement based on physical attributes and the demand at what the DOHC engines need oil.

Tech@EPR wrote: Yes…judging by the size of the gears and overall area of the pump itself even the NA pumps will flow more than the Z31 oil pumps. The only way to find this out for sure is to run a test but honestly I don't see that being feesable in fabricating a test bench to find flow analysis. I'm merely making my statement based on physical attributes and the demand at what the DOHC engines need oil.
    While I don't think fabricated a test bed would be all too hard if one had a broken snout from a crank shaft. I do agree that DOHC engines do tend to require almost twice as much lubrication in the same configuration.

If you say you've measured both pumps then I will believe you.

I kind of wish I kept my Z31 oil pump to crack that thing open.

you can view images of all the pumps I've torn apart on facebook. Just search my page under my email address.

[email protected] All images are public. All the builds and machining I do are shown there if you guys want to see differences in the oil pumps being discussed.

Tech@EPR wrote: you can view images of all the pumps I've torn apart on facebook. Just search my page under my email address.

[email protected] All images are public. All the builds and machining I do are shown there if you guys want to see differences in the oil pumps being discussed.
    Which Z31 and Z32 pumps are the ones you show though? There are two types of Z31 pumps aren't there and just to complicate matters more I'm told by a reliable source that the later Z32 NA oil pumps changed from a wavey design to a gear tooth design, there is supposed to be a Nissan service bulletin on it.

EDIT: looking at the measurements you gave in the opening post, it looks like you are comparing the two types of Z31 pumps, not a Z32 with a Z31 pump.

i have images showing the differences between the 5spd and auto Z31 pumps…I also show a difference between the NA and TT Z32 pumps as well on that facebook page. Im getting a 95 NA oil pump soon to look at as well. However, I have images of ALL the Z31 and Z32 oil pumps posted on that facebook page for ppl to view.

Could you re-link the pictures so new people can see the differences between the pumps?

I was advised from Courtesy Nissan and Nissan Australia that the OEM Turbo Auto pump is discontinued and I could not find one in stock anywhere.

I had to settle for a Atsugi made pump sold as Clevite. I'm not 100% confident in using a $50 oil pump that has basically no testimonials regarding its usage either.
    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

300zxt wrote: I was advised from Courtesy Nissan and Nissan Australia that the OEM Turbo Auto pump is discontinued and I could not find one in stock anywhere.

I had to settle for a Atsugi made pump sold as Clevite. I'm not 100% confident in using a $50 oil pump that has basically no testimonials regarding its usage either.
    if you have an auto pump to compare, take them both apart (who cares, it's 50 bucks), and compare the thickness of the gears and the quality of the casting. measure the clearances as per the fsm specs. and then check the hole depth on the pressure relief spring and nut/washer spacer on both. if they are both the same exact depth, then put whichever spring feels stronger into the pump you intend on using so you will have a bit of an increase in oil pressure or at least nissan spec in oil pressure and not some random off the shelf spring that clevite probably uses in sentra oil pumps or something.

you shouldn't have a problem. nissans newer oil pumps are 70 bucks OEM anyway- and made in mexico. if everything is the same… its only testament to reliability would be the casting quality. and really if the specs check out on the FSM, you could just clean out an old auto pump and reuse it with a new spring or a couple of shims. that way you can have nissan oem reliability if that's what you want.

300zxt wrote: I was advised from Courtesy Nissan and Nissan Australia that the OEM Turbo Auto pump is discontinued and I could not find one in stock anywhere.

Maybe more research into the VG33 and VG30DE(TT) is needed to see if they fit and if they are a better pump then the Z31 pumps, if they are still available that is.
    Originally posted by TearingRaven
    Honestly, if you have to ask this question and common sense does not kick in immediately, you need to be riding the bus. Preferably while wearing a helmet.

[quote]Rat1314 wrote:
    Originally posted by 300zxt
    I was advised from Courtesy Nissan and Nissan Australia that the OEM Turbo Auto pump is discontinued and I could not find one in stock anywhere.

Maybe more research into the VG33 and VG30DE(TT) is needed to see if they fit and if they are a better pump then the Z31 pumps, if they are still available that is.
    that information is already published in many places on this website. possibly even this thread- but I ain't looking.

[quote]Careless wrote: [quote=Rat1314]
    Originally posted by 300zxt

that information is already published in many places on this website. possibly even this thread- but I ain't looking.
    I had a look through this thread and I remember reading a few others a while ago. From what I understand at the moment the VG33 pumps will bolt up to the VG30(with using the 33 water pump as well?), but do they flow more and can you use the VG30 crank or does it have to be the VG33 one? The DE versions flow more but I haven't heard of anyone making them fit due to a different bolt pattern.
    Originally posted by TearingRaven
    Honestly, if you have to ask this question and common sense does not kick in immediately, you need to be riding the bus. Preferably while wearing a helmet.

Rat1314 wrote: I had a look through this thread and I remember reading a few others a while ago....
    for vg33 it's not the block that is the issue.
    for vg30dett it is the block that is the issue.

again- already been answered numerous times :-)