Adjustable Toe and binding Reduction: Stage 2 Measure/Calcs

Re: Adjustable Toe and binding Reduction: Stage 2 Measure/Ca

Yeah it seems that one out of 100 people have no problem, but that is bad odds if you ask me.
    Loc Dog dont ride for no trick ass bitchs....WORD!

Sounds like a bunch of tools to me. There are similar products for cheaper out there.

Thanks again for the heads up. Its appreciated
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

lol, you're still talking about this, I just finished doing this to my control arms. took me two weeks, dgaf
    irony.cc

PurePontiacKid wrote: lol, you're still talking about this, I just finished doing this to my control arms. took me two weeks, dgaf
    I work a lot faster when I am not 1000mi from home.

Post up some pictures.
    86na - BlueZ
    85t - Mr Tickles

You can calculate the entire 180* of suspension travel using a couple of calculations. No need to sit and measure everything at different heights. Granted I am making a few assumptions (non adjustable toe and camber), but ball park they should be close. Makes life a little easier.
    I also saw the E30 link info you referenced, but when I mapped my stock rear suspension (about 18 months ago) I found out there seems to be flat spot - with little or no change in toe from about horizontal (measured on the top of the STA) to about 4" above horizontal. So, if you stay within that range the rear will be less twitchy.

So, by their nature, the E30 calculations will give you a smooth curve, but that doesn't jive with the empirical evidence.

As an aside, the left and right rear maps worked out slightly different because, I now believe, that either the STA's and/or the cross-member tabs are not symmetrical. As you are taking your measurements, do you think you could verify this?

The camber gain/loss (curve) seems to be fairly constant (which is good for your tires) from about 1" below horizontal to 4.5" above, so the E30 calculations do confirm that.
    My ride: 1984 300ZXT Anniversary Edition, SCCA BSP
    See: http://z31performance.com/showthread…ight=vegasz31t

Stage 3: Install Mike G S-chassis conversion kit and do a burnout
    "produce first.talk second."

Mike_GruiZinga wrote: Stage 3: Install Mike G S-chassis conversion kit and do a burnout
    ^^^ I'd love to.... but who knows how good my s13 subframe is or where I could get another one…

Mike_GruiZinga wrote: Stage 3: Install Mike G S-chassis conversion kit and do a burnout
    This will be my last stand with the semi-trailing.

But in reality the amount of time and fab work, multilink conversion would be an easier route to go.
    86na - BlueZ
    85t - Mr Tickles

vegasZ31T wrote:
    You can calculate the entire 180* of suspension travel using a couple of calculations. No need to sit and measure everything at different heights. Granted I am making a few assumptions (non adjustable toe and camber), but ball park they should be close. Makes life a little easier.
    I also saw the E30 link info you referenced, but when I mapped my stock rear suspension (about 18 months ago) I found out there seems to be flat spot - with little or no change in toe from about horizontal (measured on the top of the STA) to about 4" above horizontal. So, if you stay within that range the rear will be less twitchy.
    Im at 0.50 toe in at static, I am already at the loosing end of that battle unfortunately.

vegasZ31T wrote: So, by their nature, the E30 calculations will give you a smooth curve, but that doesn't jive with the empirical evidence.

As an aside, the left and right rear maps worked out slightly different because, I now believe, that either the STA's and/or the cross-member tabs are not symmetrical
    . As you are taking your measurements, do you think you could verify this?

The camber gain/loss (curve) seems to be fairly constant (which is good for your tires) from about 1" below horizontal to 4.5" above, so the E30 calculations do confirm that.
    I can revisit. I was able to stick a rod through all the mounting points, which leads me to believe all the tabs are same side symmetrical. Measuring the sweep angle of both sides should verify.

I wish I had rack time to sit and measure everything out to compare to actual data. Either way it will get done. I have my current alignment specs, will get new ones at the same ride height with new adjustable heims, than lower the rear and get another final alignment. That will provide a good 4 more points in addition to the 2 I have already.
    86na - BlueZ
    85t - Mr Tickles

Can you not raise the holes for the toe adjustment some? This would make camber go less negative. Would this adversly affect camber sweep?

Or, why not raise both inner and outer holes up some equal amounts, say 1/4" to 3/4". Wouldn't this make the toe and camber closer to stock and get some of the control arm angle back into the correct direction?

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

Thats what I was thinking ^
    "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

Position inner heim's mounting bolt at top of stock adjustment and make stationary with welded washers to eliminate eccentric.

Outer heim is extended to set toe within desired range and move wheel rearward to recenter it in the wheel well.

Outer heim mounting bolt is an eccentric moved downward from original position to make camber near zero at static. Eccentric should be larger/have larger range than our OEM's. That combined with moving downward will require extending the subframe mounting tabs and making new eccentric washer guides.

Remembering off the top of my head that Formula D rules say suspension pick up points can not be moved more than 1" in any direction. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Should outer heim need to be moved more than 1" to achieve zero camber then consider alternatives such as raising inner up to 1" or mounting heim's offset from OE control arm bushings' elevation relative to the arm.

All adjustments set at desired ride height (slammed).

Camber/toe changes during range of motion reduced by running baller springs.

Would it be better than S-chassis multi-link? NO, but it would be competition legal.

Criticise away. Let's get it on 8)

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

very yes Benedict. would be great to have alternatives to just going s chassis to have 'ok' geometry at slammed ride heights

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

Im back in Milwaukee and have the inter webs.

Its going to 40s out this week, so it will be tolerable in the garage. I am going to put in the new Braille and start it up, then add in the new center section tool box I have sitting there.

After that I will be back at it.

I see what everyone is saying. Ideally I really dont want to hack up my x-member again, but I do have the spare I am working with for my mock ups. Mainly I am just trying to fix toe, an added bonus will be adjustable CAs allowing me to center the wheel.

The way I have it in my head I will be making threaded block then welding them in CA. I could mount them higher or lower in the CA when fabbing if I need to correct any camber. ETA on the new wheels is march. I want to do mock-ups with the new wheels to see how aggressive/conservative I need to be. Ill just use threaded wood blocks as prototypes. From there I will determine if I can run less camber. (currently at -2/-2.5 but will be at -3.5 with new height).
    86na - BlueZ
    85t - Mr Tickles

I want to do mock-ups with the new wheels to see how aggressive/conservative I need to be. Ill just use threaded wood blocks as prototypes. From there I will determine if I can run less camber.
    Don't know if this will be helpful or not: I put the ZX up on tire dollys (Harbor Freight) and then taped 1" thick sheets of styrofoam (from Lowes) - rounded to my new tire size, to the tires until i got the profile I wanted.
    http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp?…&text1=&text2=
    Then I turned the psuedo tires back and forth to verify the clearances I needed; and then ordered the wheels and tires.
    My ride: 1984 300ZXT Anniversary Edition, SCCA BSP
    See: http://z31performance.com/showthread…ight=vegasz31t