Updates on New Site - 01/19/13

Re: Updates on New Site - 01/01/13

SUCCEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!

(in "Dexter's" voice, from Dexter's lab circa Cartoon Network!)

anyway. great to hear!
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

so whats the workback schedule on the projected launch date? for speedier deployment, you could push it to the main domain faster if you make it a barebones install with just functionality in mind and lock in the standard template with just a logo change- then if you want to "asco-fy" it, you can create a dummy moderator account that has the new asco template installed.

never do testing on a real account. if you lock yourself out- you'll have to manually change db tables to get the default theme back in order to do simple things like login/logout.

keep the dummy account open in a second browser application or sandbox/incognito tab and use that to do rapid testing of code/graphic changes.

Here is the plan

I just blew away the test site
    I am creating the actual new z31performance.com site with VB installed
    I am going to prep it for the switchover.
    Suspend the current phpbb z31p site to prevent user postings
    On the old host, download *current* backup of the phpbb mysql database
    Using Impex, import the old forum to new
    Do maintenance cleanup
    Because DNS isn't 100% yet, I am going to go on the old host and point the site to the new IP manually.
    This will effectively bring up the new VB site almost immediately.

While the new site won't be 100% perfect during the first few weeks of live, people can still use it.
    The down time will only be a few hours while the mysql database is downloaded and uploaded. Obviously some config time is needed.

When?

Planning this weekend or the next. I need to coordinate with Zach.
    I know a proper Notice of Website Down is needed.

This is all tentative, btw.

consider increasing the php memory size from default 64 to something like 256 at least. VB has imagecache functions that are going to cause a lot of time outs and memory errors when people upload pictures that are resized and cached into a temp folder on the server. you might want to also configure the php timeout length as well.

are you using an external database manager, or are you using the phpmyadmin applet on the webserver? i would upload using an external application. it's much quicker and doesn't time out at all.

also, does IMPEX do database to database on localhost? or does it require an installed database and an uploaded file to do its import/exporting?

if it could be done over localhost connection, it would be super fast.

The new site will be launched on 01/20/13!

While the testing has been great so far, the new site won't be 100% done.
    It will be very functional. After the launch, there will be a lot of polishing to be done.

The only problems that are somewhat expected after the transition are user accounts.
    During the testing, it appears that some user account passwords did not carry over.
    This is why confirming your email is so very important.

IF ANYONE EXPERIENCES PROBLEMS PLEASE ME AT [email protected]

Avatars coming back? Signatures? Could we get some rage smilies?

ExtremeAtheist;314147 wrote: Avatars coming back? Signatures? Could we get some rage smilies?
    Yes, I am still working on that. Ran into issues during the import. But I will resolve it.

Hey … I'm "IN" ..

Interesting .. had some issues via iPad .. mostly operator error (not knowing where to find things on the iPad) but using the PC, I didn't have to clear the cache??

Despite the glitches, hassles and under-appreciated experts .. THANKS for the efforts.

Consider this .. While there is almost always a better way of doing something …

1- The experts that know better, often aren't providing resources (labor and funding) of any signficance
    2 - We wouldn't be z31 enthusiasts if we always did it the "experts" way *wink* … LOL!
    '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
    PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

Well now that the new site is up and what not, I am liking it. Though, it's a tad confusing and seems backwards from the old site. But will get used to it.

Though it's already being tended to; needs moar avatar and emoticon smilies and allow BB img tags in signature permissions. :P

inqui-Z-tor;314153 wrote: Hey … I'm "IN" ..

Interesting .. had some issues via iPad .. mostly operator error (not knowing where to find things on the iPad) but using the PC, I didn't have to clear the cache??

Despite the glitches, hassles and under-appreciated experts .. THANKS for the efforts.

Consider this .. While there is almost always a better way of doing something …

1- The experts that know better, often aren't providing resources (labor and funding) of any signficance
    2 - We wouldn't be z31 enthusiasts if we always did it the "experts" way *wink* … LOL!
    what he said^ we have come a LONG way since the scrolling text chat of old school z31.com LOL

Fixed PM notifications
    Users should now receive emails on PMs and a pop-up message.

Need to up the limit of 4 pics per post to something much higher. The old site had unlimited pics per post. I just had to make 5 separate posts to add 17 pics to my build thread.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

NissanEgg;314171 wrote: Need to up the limit of 4 pics per post to something much higher. The old site had unlimited pics per post. I just had to make 5 separate posts to add 17 pics to my build thread.
    Increased from 4 to 10 pics per post.

I am currently working on the attachments. ETA 1.5 hours.

amreboot;314165 wrote: Fixed PM notifications
    Users should now receive emails on PMs and a pop-up message.
    I'm not getting email notifications, signature is enabled in my settings but is not showing

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

I know you fellas are busy with working out bugs and getting everything just right. This may be of help to you guys…

Was googling to see if I could turn on the [img] bb code in my signature through the User CP like you could on phpbb, but it appears that on this vBulletin it has to be done via the admin CP…

vBulletin.com Forums wrote: Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager. Edit the Registered Users usergroup, change Allow Image BB Code under Signature Permissions to Yes.
    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/400610-How-edit-signature-settings