Question on a V8 swap

• Question on a V8 swap

Well, i was considering doing the NA2T on my Z. But then i thought, after i get done with my street driving on it, i'm going to turn it into a pure drag car. Why not go ahead and drop a v8 in it ya know? But my question on this is, how much money and insane effort would it take to do this? Sorry if i overlooked anything about it on the z sites, just couldn't find a good guide on it.

*sighs* If i were you, i would put on your flamesuit…

I will offer some advice… Just go to hybridz.org

1988 570zx SS Edition

Originally posted by Neil86t
    Just get a slick paint job like mine and its all good. I had a girl that said she wanted to lick my car. She ended up licking my sack…end of story. Bitch ain't gonna lick my car.

1984 300zx N/A SF model - sold
    1986 300zx N/A - parted out
    1985 300zx Turbo - parted out
    1986 300zx NA2T - sold!
    1988 300zx Shiro - Sold!
    1988 300zx Shiro - number 43 of 75 Canadian!

six2eight wrote:

who needs a v8 8)
    someone who grew up around v8's and misses it? Might sound sacrilegious to some of you to put a v8 in a z31, but i love my Z and want to make it unique.

EDIT: And thanks bleakdragonmage, i completely overlooked hybridz, my bad.

Hate to tell you, but you might be more unique than most, but there are still a couple of us around that have v8 swapped Z's.

Myself
    Alf
    ChapparelZ
    and i believe someone is even stuffing a 500 Cadillac engine in a Z31, although i forgot his name.

Alf has a mini write-up that covers some stuff.

After you purchase some of the stuff, if you run into any snags, you can PM me and i can help as well.

1988 570zx SS Edition

Just get a slick paint job like mine and its all good. I had a girl that said she wanted to lick my car. She ended up licking my sack…end of story. Bitch ain't gonna lick my car.

bleakdragonmage wrote: Hate to tell you, but you might be more unique than most, but there are still a couple of us around that have v8 swapped Z's.

Myself
    Alf
    ChapparelZ
    and i believe someone is even stuffing a 500 Cadillac engine in a Z31, although i forgot his name.

Alf has a mini write-up that covers some stuff.

After you purchase some of the stuff, if you run into any snags, you can PM me and i can help as well.
    Well first off, O_O to the 500 cadillac engine being stuffed in one xD.

And yeah I know people have done it, it would be pretty ignorant to think that it's never been done :lol:

It's going to be a pretty long term project as well, so when I get into it more i'll probably end up PM'ing you about it. Thanks for the help man.

Yea, that was my response. I don't think it will fit, its too big. The exhaust manifolds will probably hand over the frame-rails. But hey, i guess we'll see.

1988 570zx SS Edition

More power to him is all i have to say xD I'm couldn't even imagine trying to wrangle that thing in there.

Yeah the Cadillac 500ci has one hell of a world record under it's belt, it's been in the fastest gas internal combustion engine powered car. Would certainly make for a hell of a Z, sounds like it might take some major cutting and maybe even some welding to widen and lengthen the bay.

That'd be Trbulnt. I am releasing no further details :twisted:

sprtcrazy17 wrote: That'd be Trbulnt. I am releasing no further details :twisted:
    He hasn't updated his thread in like 3 weeks. I still don't think it will fit without modifying the frame rails. I could be wrong though… Would be cool to see, but that 500 cadillac is such a big engine.

1988 570zx SS Edition

Wasn't the caddy 500cui motor in a fwd car?

Mitchd03 wrote: Wasn't the caddy 500cui motor in a fwd car?
    For the 1970 model year, the Eldorado introduced the new 500 cu in (8.2 l) V8 engine, the largest-ever production V8, rated SAE gross 400 hp (298 kW) and 550 ft·lbf (746 N·m) in 1970, that would be an Eldorado exclusive until it became standard on all full sized Cadillacs in the 1975 model year

El Dorado - FWD
    Fleetwood - RWD
    Deville - RWD
    Calais - RWD

So yes originally it was but it was also found in quite a few RWD cars as well. The weird thing is I'm looking at pics of ElDorado engine bays and the engine is facing forward. Wonder what the curb weight is on these things. They'd make for great drag cars if they were lighter :lol:

If your going v8 go with the LSX 6.0L VQ9 with the 4L80E auto trans. Turbocharged of coarse.
    Black 1986 300zx Turbo coupe (Chuki)
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…86-Turbo-Coupe
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pewter 1986 300zx N/A 2 Turbo 2+2 (Chuki)
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…9;s-1986-300zx

Only a 6 liter? LS7 7L :nanan?re