Question on a V8 swap

ZFast88Z wrote: Most run at NHRA sponsored tracks, they just dont run NHRA events.
    key words.

And if you happen to have convenient low budget friendly tracks nearby, you can run any times you want so long as you don't leak.
    Four Doors for More Whores

the thing regarding the NHRA rules, there is a reason it says "swing axle". This does not apply to semi trailing arm suspensions. The reason it says swing axle is for cars such as the VW bug, where the axle is the solid link controlling camber. If they break an axle on one of those the tire will collapse and cause the car to go out of control.

Now, since you have a TH350 laying around you want to build on, i would suggest either going with a SBC, LSx, or sticking with the VG and getting the adapter for the trans. Would be a little more money but im sure you can get a 8" converter and modify it to bolt to an auto flexplate. I would personally put a 5.3 in it but thats just me, i miss my turbo 6.0l, that thing was wild
    87 Turbo: Stock VG33, stock cams, maxima intake, T5, DXD stage 3 clutch, tubular stainless headers, GT3582r, full 3" stainless exhaust, E85 680cc inj. and Nistune
    current time: 13.39@106, 2.05 60' 12psi with old stock 85T motor and street tires!

zmech wrote: This sounds like an American V8 group.
    It is… He said for drag, so i assumed he meant an American engine. Sorry, i know assumtions make an ass out of u and me, but i didn't think he would be choosing a nissan platform… Maybe he will… I like the nissan v8 swaps.

1988 570zx SS Edition

Originally posted by Neil86t
    Just get a slick paint job like mine and its all good. I had a girl that said she wanted to lick my car. She ended up licking my sack…end of story. Bitch ain't gonna lick my car.

+1 on Nissan V8 swaps. The Z31 community in general seems to have this persona that any motor other than a VG in the Z is the worst idea ever. Some people just like the sound and feal of a V8. For me a nice high revving aluminum head stroker V8 is just music to my ears. Plus there's something fun about opening your hood for people and seeing there faces when they realize that somethings not quite right.

I'm going with an american built chevy 350. It's the engine i know how to work on and grew up around. I'd prefer a v8 over the VG any day, sorry to anyone that offends. Wanting to drop a 350 in my Z has been on my mind since a first bought it. And I'm also getting a job rebuilding carburetors, so having a 350 will be a charm.

why not buy something that's american then?

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

DeleriousZ wrote: why not buy something that's american then?
    Because maybe he likes his Z… Why does it matter.

1988 570zx SS Edition

Just get a slick paint job like mine and its all good. I had a girl that said she wanted to lick my car. She ended up licking my sack…end of story. Bitch ain't gonna lick my car.

Well you guys can count another Z guy converting to the American V8 side. Should be going to pick up my LM7 engine in a couple of days or so. I decided to go with this one for reasons such as its a 5.3L, so I can retain at least some DD capability.

I have to pick up the engine then decide what tranny I want to go with it. Anyone got any ideas for a manual tranny that I can use with this?
    Already got the LS1 intake ordered
    Z06 Cam
    Billet Fuel Rails and a few other things

Also I was told by Grr that this engine will hold boost much better then some of the other engines, so with the possibility of boosting it later, is another reason im going with this engine!
    1uz Swapped, lowered, flaked out '86 z31
    '72 Datsun 510 4dr, ka24de-T, slammed resto mod
    '84 z31 turbo, coils, wheels a.k.a the gfs weekend car
    '86 na2t parts for now a.k.a eventually will get running with a/c daily
    '83 280zx project backburner a.k.a ls turbo drag car one day
    Custom vg30et tube chassis drift exocet project

DeleriousZ wrote: why not buy something that's american then?
    Because I like the look of the Z's? If you have a problem with what i'm doing, shove it.

Just saying, you'd be in the company of more like minded people if you owned an american car.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

DeleriousZ wrote: Just saying, you'd be in the company of more like minded people if you owned an american car.
    Or he could just swap his Z… Which I think is a perfectly good idea (assuming he actually does it.)

1988 570zx SS Edition

If you are gonna do an American V-8, go LS1 or LS2 and a t56 and call it a day. At least the LS would weight close to or less than the VG30ET.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

NissanEgg wrote: If you are gonna do an American V-8, go LS1 or LS2 and a t56 and call it a day. At least the LS would weight close to or less than the VG30ET.
    Honestly, even the iron blocks don't weight that much more than a VG30… Hell, if you relocate the battery, you can make it pretty damn close.

1988 570zx SS Edition