Upgrade to PRW-2 Ign. Control Module (Power Transistor Unit)

• Re: Upgrade to PRW-2 Ign. Control Module (Power Transistor U

Started my car tonight after doing this mod. Immediately noticed that it idled better, especially from a cold start. Engine runs smoother and the throttle response does seem better. I can't report on drivability improvement yet, as the car is still on stands, but as far as I'm concerned, this mod gets an A+.
    Tinker Toy Equipped

DudeZX wrote: Started my car tonight after doing this mod. Immediately noticed that it idled better, especially from a cold start. Engine runs smoother and the throttle response does seem better. I can't report on drivability improvement yet, as the car is still on stands, but as far as I'm concerned, this mod gets an A+.
    maybe you'll put down more than 280whp because right now my car feels like a land missile on 8psi… prob heading towards 260-270whp

Lol, have you raced anything? Because mine felt pretty quick, then I ran a few of my buddies cars and ended up being disappointed by a few and suprised by others. The numbers are sometimes irrelevant.
    Tinker Toy Equipped

DudeZX wrote: Lol, have you raced anything? Because mine felt pretty quick, then I ran a few of my buddies cars and ended up being disappointed by a few and suprised by others. The numbers are sometimes irrelevant.
    well when comparing cars using similar turbo setups, numbers can tell a lot.

Your butt dyno does not take accurate measurements, lol.
    Tinker Toy Equipped

DudeZX wrote: Your butt dyno does not take accurate measurements, lol.
    the fact that other z31's with similarly sized turbos make more power is a pretty accurate indicator :-)
    check yer shit.

hey guys.....STFU about what numbers TJs car may or may not make. :nanan?re
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Just finished this and the car does seem a bit smoother and responsive. The real test will be how it starts tomorrow morning.
    Thanks for the write up and info. Yes I am aware how filthy my engine bay is!

I'm doing this mod this week. Sounds like such a great improvement for a little work! Subbing to remind myself of the part, lol.

Edit: My local JY has quite a few of these. If anyway one wants one, pm me and I'll see what I can do.

1985 300ZX Turbo GLL ^Click for log^

Originally posted by nater86zx
    No such thing as hoarding Z parts. When it comes to z parts, its not hoarding its preparedness!

turblown wrote: I'm doing this mod this week. Sounds like such a great improvement for a little work! Subbing to remind myself of the part, lol.
    I've got a couple lying around if you haven't gotten one from a JY yet.

2001 Mazda Miata LS
    also a 1989 Nissan 240SX

50th AE Build Thread SOLD 2015

[quote]Kimbro Slice wrote:
    Originally posted by turblown
    I'm doing this mod this week. Sounds like such a great improvement for a little work! Subbing to remind myself of the part, lol.
    I've got a couple lying around if you haven't gotten one from a JY yet.
    Dang, just picked one up today, lol. Thanks anyway though Kimbro!

No such thing as hoarding Z parts. When it comes to z parts, its not hoarding its preparedness!

Completed this mod today. Not a drastic change but overall everything feels better. It certainly idles better and seems to pull smoother on the runs. Again, not a drastic change but certainly work the 10 dollars and half hour of time I put into it!

I'm finally getting around to working on the Z's engine, this is now on the list!

I'm also wondering what kind of engine Dave is running....

Dave-D wrote: She did seem to idle smoother, the digital dash will fluctuate between 8k and 9k when sitting in traffic takes about a minute or so to see it happen. Today she sat pretty consistently at 8k. So is it making a difference? I don't know yet. But for the $16 I paid for the part its not like I'm worried about it. I also filled up today so we will see if it makes a difference in the MPGs as well.
    Hmm.... Helicopter engine? Awesome! :lol

Most Z's are blowing up at 7k, this guy is idling at 9k.
    baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawse.

I wanted to post this pic here for reference. I mounted my PRW-2 module on the coil pack. Bored out the holes on the transistor a little to fit 10mm bolts; otherwise, pretty easy. Ignore the homemade MBC; it's gone now.