Upgrade to PRW-2 Ign. Control Module (Power Transistor Unit)

• Re: Upgrade to PRW-2 Ign. Control Module (Power Transistor U

[quote]edwin86z wrote: I'm finally getting around to working on the Z's engine, this is now on the list!

I'm also wondering what kind of engine Dave is running....

Originally posted by Dave-D
    She did seem to idle smoother, the digital dash will fluctuate between 8k and 9k when sitting in traffic takes about a minute or so to see it happen. Today she sat pretty consistently at 8k. So is it making a difference? I don't know yet. But for the $16 I paid for the part its not like I'm worried about it. I also filled up today so we will see if it makes a difference in the MPGs as well.
    Hmm.... Helicopter engine? Awesome! :lol
    Seems my secrets out I'm running the first z31 jet turbine swap.....or.....its a typo ops: ops:

Make that 800rpm. :-D
    Black 1985 na/coupe brought back from the dead.
    2000 frontier for work.
    2004 PT Cruiser for gettin' grocery's.

Dave-D wrote: Seems my secrets out I'm running the first z31 jet turbine swap.....or.....its a typo ops: ops:

Make that 800rpm. :-D
    I think a turbine Z would be awesome! I would do it, but I can't fork out for a used engine right now… :langue

did this mod the other day. i like the way it feels. that funky idle Zs have only come around every once in a while

• As long as it says 'PRW-2' on the unit will it work?

There's a bunch on eBay.com but the sellers aren't able to tell me if they work.

Can anyone pick out one from http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from…=prw-2&_sop=15 that will work?

• None of them will know it works in a Z31, and technically it doesn't because it requires a wiring change....
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

• My brother and I tested both a PRW2 and a PRW2A. Those are the only one's we've confirmed to work. Although as MikeP said, a small wiring change is needed. We've tried PRW2s from Maxima's, Pathfinders, and Frontiers and they all worked, so you should be good as long as it says PRW2 or PRW2A on it.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

• jaqattack02;314789 wrote: We've tried PRW2s from Maxima's, Pathfinders, and Frontiers and they all worked
    mine is a PRW-2A from a quest
    Non turbo, 200K+ mile club, 60mm TB, 149WHP 168WTQ

• tatsu;314795 wrote: mine is a PRW-2A from a quest
    The 2A we tried came from ebay. I think the guy said it was from a Sentra or something. In the end they are all the same.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

• having a real hard time removing the wires on the stock connector -,-
    any tricks to this?
    I stuck a pin in just above the contact and was able to pull some of the black wire out, there's a good half inch of bare wire hanging out of the connector now, but its still snug in there…
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…2-2-(-now-NA2T
    My build thread (:

• well since I couldn't get the wires loose I ended up just cutting them off of the connector, and then clamping them into the metal clips and slid the clips in place on the prw2. Im gonna get some electrical tape and wrap it up nice and tight tomorrow.
    hopefully it works when I get to firing her up. (:
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…2-2-(-now-NA2T
    My build thread (:

• Well you must not have even bothered to read the thread.....your answer as to how to open the connector is on page 6.

I had the same problem opening them up and once it was explained it is really easily done. I re-soldered the wired too and it has been working fine.

Page 6
    2000 frontier for work.

• anybody have one or two of these they are willing to part with? I'd sure like to give i a try as I am experiencing soome these same "issues" and thiis seems like a SUPER easy fix!
    The man likes to play chess; let's get him some rocks.

• If you read thru the thread I think it was MichealP that listed a bunch of cars and years that have this component and can be found in the local jy. And these are also all over e bay for sale as well.....

Your could also post a want to buy thread and get a quicker response than posting here looking for one.
    2000 frontier for work.

• Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

• lol mine came today from that eBay thingy