NisTune Info (link)

Questions about next batch of boards

If I understand correctly (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I’M WRONG)

1. the next hardware is NVRAM
    2. you can make changes real time
    3. you can log data including data from wideband such as Innovate
    4. you can save changes in your tune

With the new hardware boards, Can you
    1. use a 1988 NA ECU for an 84 Turbo car (such as would be the case for JWT)?
    2. use a FORD AFM (as with JWT)?
    3. put tune saved with Nistune on a ROM chip & remove the Nistune board if you have a chip burner?
    4. use the Nistune hardware on various ECU’s (1988 NA or 1988 T) or are you only allowed to select 1 choice (1 base tune) and stay with that.
    5. Do you need to have your computer connected to the board to log data?

Thanks,

Mark
    84 300ZX Turbo

I can tell you that 1-4 on your first section is all true.

As far as the second section. 1 and 2 are true if you know what youre doing. 3 will probably be true. 4 depends on whether or not you can build the reprogrammer to reflash the base bin on the nistune board. Yes, you will need your computer hooked up to the ecu to log any data.

Re: Questions about next batch of boards

mmw wrote:

Thanks,

Mark
    This would be easily answered as the board will not have active storage for logging. The storage data will be sent and recorded to a computer.
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Thanks for the info.

Is knowing that the 88 NA and 88 T ECU's utilize different O2 sensors enough?

Is knowing the Ford MAF outputs a voltage vs. air flow enough for question 2?

The reason I asked questions 3 & 4 is that I have an 84 Turbo and an 86 Turbo and would like to use this device on both using an 88 NA or 88 T, respectively, as suggested by JWT. I already have the Ford AFM's, resistors and injectors.

Is Matt the only person that can tell me the answers to 3 & 4?

Thanks again.

Mark
    84 300ZX Turbo

You have a lot of reading to do. These questions are answered both on this site and on the Nistune link Jason provided in the first post. You could also use google to find more information should you feel like it.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

yep we have a design for a programmer to work with all our boards (8 and 16 bit types) to allow users to reprogram for different ecus. not available yet… just need to get the prototype made up to check it works

however currently we use a modified Willem PCB3B programmer to program the current boards using NTProg available from the download page

for example you set the reprogram jumper, and can put a CA18 ROM image instead of Z31 ROM if you really wanted

darkhalf wrote: yep we have a design for a programmer to work with all our boards (8 and 16 bit types) to allow users to reprogram for different ecus. not available yet… just need to get the prototype made up to check it works

however currently we use a modified Willem PCB3B programmer to program the current boards using NTProg available from the download page

for example you set the reprogram jumper, and can put a CA18 ROM image instead of Z31 ROM if you really wanted
    so with the currently available version of nistune and a willem programmer i would be able to load different roms onto the board? as of right now the only downside i found with nistune is that you required a base rom to load onto the board before shipping. this would make nistune very very valuable to me.

[quote]Chris86NA2T wrote:
    Originally posted by darkhalf
    yep we have a design for a programmer to work with all our boards (8 and 16 bit types) to allow users to reprogram for different ecus. not available yet… just need to get the prototype made up to check it works

so with the currently available version of nistune and a willem programmer i would be able to load different roms onto the board? as of right now the only downside i found with nistune is that you required a base rom to load onto the board before shipping. this would make nistune very very valuable to me.
    Chris… I dont really understand… are you planning on putting the nistune daughterboard into another ECU?

yea, thats exactly what i want to be able to do.

Are any changes of the Nistune ROM needed for all Z31 ECU's?

Does anyone know the answers to the following questions?

1. Would the base coding of the Nistune ROM have to be changed if one first used it in a 1988 NA ECU and then decided to use it in a 1988 Turbo ECU instead? (In other words, is there only One Nistune ROM image for all Z31 ECU's?)

2. The screen shots of the software seem to have an options Menu for AFM.
    What are all the available choices for AFM (stock AFM, Z32 AFM, 93 Ford Cobra AFM)?

3. After refining the tune of a car with Nistune, can the tune be written to a chip with a chip burner, so one could remove the Nistune unit and put it in another car?

Thanks in Advance,

Mark
    84 300ZX Turbo

Re: Are any changes of the Nistune ROM needed for all Z31 EC

mmw wrote:

3. After refining the tune of a car with Nistune, can the tune be written to a chip with a chip burner, so one could remove the Nistune unit and put it in another car?

Thanks in Advance,

Mark
    im sure that this is a touchy subject. im interested in the same functionality. currently i have a romulator and a willem that i use between the 3 vehicles i regularly tune, 2 of them are z31's, but the other has an rb26 that uses a totally different base rom. this would save me the expense of purchasing multiple boards.

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
    Originally posted by OK85ZX
    Okay so just to clarify. Once that version comes out, will we need anything to be able to tune it other than a USB cable, laptop, and the software?
    aside for the actual install work, 100% Correct.
    pardon the ignorance and point me where to read if necessary. ops:

what will the install work be? and will there be a limitation to the operating software version that is on the laptop used to adjust? and I don't understand if one will be able to data log without a wideband o2 (compared to the stock one). does anyone have pics of a finished installation just for reference? Thanx in advance guys.

(I've never tuned anything without a carb just to help explain but I am getting there as this ability is one of my new passions and I love to do everything myself whhich requires knowledge! )

1. use a 1988 NA ECU for an 84 Turbo car (such as would be the case for JWT)?
    2. use a FORD AFM (as with JWT)?
    3. put tune saved with Nistune on a ROM chip & remove the Nistune board if you have a chip burner?
    4. use the Nistune hardware on various ECU’s (1988 NA or 1988 T) or are you only allowed to select 1 choice (1 base tune) and stay with that.
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. Yes

You asked that more than once. Please don't keep asking.

what will the install work be?
    will there be a limitation to the operating software version that is on the laptop used to adjust?
    I don't understand if one will be able to data log without a wideband o2 (compared to the stock one).
    does anyone have pics of a finished installation just for reference?
    Socket the eprom, solder a couple of wires
    Anything 98SE-XP should work fine. Vista I would be leary of.
    NO
    Yes, look at the nistune page. It's in this thread.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

It's not in here steve, but this is the page I was thinking about: http://www.redz31.com/pages/fuel/romulator.html

I remembered it was on Jason's site. http://www.redz31.com for those that don't know.

1. Would the base coding of the Nistune ROM have to be changed if one first used it in a 1988 NA ECU and then decided to use it in a 1988 Turbo ECU instead? (In other words, is there only One Nistune ROM image for all Z31 ECU's?)

Yes you would need to put another base ROM image in. What happens is we take any standard ROM image (.BIN file), put the NIStune code into it (.ENT file) and then that is programmed into the board

2. The screen shots of the software seem to have an options Menu for AFM.
    What are all the available choices for AFM (stock AFM, Z32 AFM, 93 Ford Cobra AFM)?
    Any Nissan AFM which we have extracted a VQ curve from (calibration curve) can be used. Cobra is one that someone has made a VQ curve for and is in the drop list

The design of the board is not intended this way, because you have to solder 4 wires from a plug to the ECU during the install. It is basically meant to be a daugtherboard to make the ECU realtime programmable, similar to the daughterboards required for 16 bit Nissan ECUs. The software license is sold for an individual user rather as a workshop when it comes with a single board.

However… yes it is possible for you to do this if you reprogrammed the board each time and swapped between ECUs. And it is possible to save the maps you have tuned with into a BIN file and burn to chips… if we make the ENT files freely available

In the case of the RB26 if this is in a R32 ECU then a different board would be required (Type 2 board) since this has consult

what will the install work be? and will there be a limitation to the operating software version that is on the laptop used to adjust? and I don't understand if one will be able to data log without a wideband o2 (compared to the stock one). does anyone have pics of a finished installation just for reference? Thanx in advance guys.
    Installation is soldering connector with 4 wires to processor pins and then putting the USB socket in the ECU (i normally fit it where the diagnostic connector goes)

Software will run under Win98/WinXP which is what i daily run in on. PC has been Pentium 266 so resource requirements not high unlike other tuning software. It may run under Vista with FTDIs new drivers but I dont run that yet

* I do have a romulator version (Rev2) for loading different rom images into an ECU only two of these available