Header Studs

• Header Studs

After almost three months of waiting, I finally got my MSA headers in the mail. Before I start installing them I would like to get my hands on some new exhaust manifold studs, however, I don't know what size they are.
    I've spent alot of time researching them, but apparently it wasn't enough. I know they are m8's but I don't know the thread pitch. One site, I think it was redz31.com, or somwthing similar to that, said they are m8x1.5. I've also read numerous posts saying that ls1 studs will work, but those are m8x1.25.
    My car is a 1986 2+2 n/a, what studs do I need? Id really like to avoid having to drill and retap the holes in the head…thanks in advance for any information.

whatever the LS1 studs are, that's what the size/pitch is- because LS1 studs are a known upgrade.

if you buy from nissan, you'll get newer studs that superceed the old ones with a new "design" that is a bit harder/better steel than the ones that your car came with.

But LS1 bolts are still a good investment.

m8x1.25, napa
    85T-2NA2T Exhaust delete,mbc2-10, syn. blend oil, GL4 in the tranny, Stock steering wheel, no t tops, bikini clad girls, cross-drilled brake lines, and a " HAHAHAHA F!@KIN SUPRA" sticker on the back!

Ya! I'm pushing 214hp/245tq! Thoroughbreds to one of the rear wheels

spend the dime on the ARP studs for the ls-1, and you'll never buy another exhaust manifold stud again.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

Hey, thanks for the quick responses guys. Now here's a stupid question, are the turbo manifold studs a different thread pitch or are they all the same?

all same, just different places
    85T-2NA2T Exhaust delete,mbc2-10, syn. blend oil, GL4 in the tranny, Stock steering wheel, no t tops, bikini clad girls, cross-drilled brake lines, and a " HAHAHAHA F!@KIN SUPRA" sticker on the back!

In that case, mr. Jason from redz31.net has a correction to make on his site.

sgtpepper67 wrote: In that case, mr. Jason from redz31.net has a correction to make on his site.
    explain…?

http://redz31.net/turbofaq/turbo.faq.htm

Scroll to the headwork section towards the bottom of the page. He specifies that the manifold studs are m8x1.5 instead of m8x1.25.

As stated. Buy LS1 ARP exhaust studs. Never look back.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

300zxturboftw wrote: As stated. Buy LS1 ARP exhaust studs. Never look back.
    That's the new plan now. They really aren't too expensive compared to stock nissan studs. The dealer here wants almost $50 just for the studs. For $100 I can get a nice set of stainless ARP studs along with the washers and nuts I need as well.

think i paid 8 for all mine with nuts, been workin fine for a year, and i will never dicrase my car with anything chevy

[quote]sgtpepper67 wrote:
    Originally posted by 300zxturboftw
    As stated. Buy LS1 ARP exhaust studs. Never look back.
    That's the new plan now. They really aren't too expensive compared to stock nissan studs. The dealer here wants almost $50 just for the studs. For $100 I can get a nice set of stainless ARP studs along with the washers and nuts I need as well.
    Use blue loctite on the nuts/studs. Otherwise you will be calling ARP for replacements like I did.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

ok.... WTF… i went in yesterday and the ARP book we looked at said the LS1 studs are M8x1.75......? plus it only had one thread pitch listed
    Turbo Rotories… 60% of the time.... they work every time..

oh and how nice, my nissan dealer doesn't list they and can't order them. so back up plan is fucked
    Turbo Rotories… 60% of the time.... they work every time..