Header Studs

Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

That's the TSB telling you there is updated studs for the VG30. That only applies to VG's with 8mm studs.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

Also seems like a Nissan saying "You can only use OUR bolts." "So come buy them here."
    Turbo Rotories… 60% of the time.... they work every time..

NissanEgg wrote: That's the TSB telling you there is updated studs for the VG30. That only applies to VG's with 8mm studs.
    Which is every SOHC VG except the ones with 10mm…which is VG33.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

But i'm tryin them today, so i'll post details.

Just to clear up the confusion from earlier the overall length is 1.75" that is where the 175 is coming from not the pitch.
    88 z31 tubo auto25spd, 3"TBE, poly everywhere, profec b s2, 60-1, stupid stereo (not 17 anymore), short throw, DXD s4, crushed fpr, FMIC, engloid upper, HK RS-3's sure I am forgetting things but you get the idea.
    08 dakota 5" 33's "cute mods"
    06 g6 gtp - wifey k&n filter
    2x 84 z31 turbo 5spd - parts
    85 z31 turbo auto - parts

OOOOHHHH lol, yeah that was my confusion. thanx.

Oh EFFF! i think they're 1.50 for length

this is not going well, all 3 heat shield bolts i tried to take off have broken… does everything have to break when i try to fix it

yup. use tons of penetrating lube and even heat to attack those bolts. also, don't just try and twist the bolts off either. impact is almost always better than straight torsion in breaking loose rusted bolts/nuts.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

I was messing with the header studs today and it seems to be a pitch very close to 1.25. One I had to retap to m8x1.25 and it dug into the metal on the heads when re-inserted but held fine. When I checked the other studs with a m8x1.25 die it would not go through it as the one I re-taped with. Pitches look almost identical next to each other so I don't know.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

So turns out the bolts will work fine. dont think i'll get any heat shields back on tho… broke 5 of 5 bolts so far.. All of the studs came out easily tho. In fact some were even already loose :S but im held up for the night with the EGR fitting, damn near welded to the mani.

628sx wrote: So turns out the bolts will work fine. dont think i'll get any heat shields back on tho… broke 5 of 5 bolts so far.. All of the studs came out easily tho. In fact some were even already loose :S but im held up for the night with the EGR fitting, damn near welded to the mani.
    if you can tack weld 6mm nuts onto where the bolts broke on the manifold, you can put the heatshields back on :-)

[quote]Careless wrote:
    Originally posted by 628sx
    So turns out the bolts will work fine. dont think i'll get any heat shields back on tho… broke 5 of 5 bolts so far.. All of the studs came out easily tho. In fact some were even already loose :S but im held up for the night with the EGR fitting, damn near welded to the mani.
    if you can tack weld 6mm nuts onto where the bolts broke on the manifold, you can put the heatshields back on :-)
    not a bad idea lol

[quote]michaelp wrote:
    Originally posted by NissanEgg
    That's the TSB telling you there is updated studs for the VG30. That only applies to VG's with 8mm studs.
    Which is every SOHC VG except the ones with 10mm…which is VG33.
    But you CAN definitly drill and tap your regular old VG30 for 10mm Studs just fine, I got the cylinder head shop to do mine with high quality ARP style M10 studs and they have been great.
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____