Brake Upgrade Thread

• Decided to go with alkaline cleaner to clean out the passages, as well as avoid messing with the piston seat's surface. Other than a quick solvent clean job to remove grease, this bitches were tossed in rust, chipping paint, ect… right into the cleaner and came out looking good. Chemical cleaning is the way to go.

Powder coated, along with bolt heads

Polished the pistons to ensure a good seal and seamless movement. Rebuilt with z1 kit.

Old 86na BZF installed goodness

New 350z Track + z32tt

Notes:
    ~Use early grease seals in late turbo hubs with zenki dust shields. Zero clearance issues.
    ~No need to trim the dust shield with the caliper adapter
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

• Alright, Ive read all 8 pages of this thread and it’s very interesting but one problem. I haven’t seen one person on here use z32 30mm calipers on '87 OEM wheels. Because I’m using '87 hubs and all, 17 size washers for alignment, Brembo z32 rotors still the OEM size, and it’s still not clearing the wheel. It needs some kind of spacer to push the wheel out very little so it won’t rub :-?
    1985-5 speed swap with '87 suspension.
    1987 turbo-parts car,engine rebulid in process.

• I used the 30 mm z32 brakes and rotors and I had to use 86t wheels to clear I tried 85t wheels and they did not clear I later had to get longer studs and a small spacer to get my other wheels to work

Longer Studs I purchased them from ebay link below
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/330629773859?ss … 1497.l2649

After with a small spacer

Replaced my BMC with one from a Z32 link below made it plug and play
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/250810617597?ss … 1497.l2649

Click here to view my Stanced VG33ET Build thread / Click here to view my Feed Back thread

• After with a small spacer

What size did you use?

• I had some 10MM spacers so I threw them on and they worked great
    Click here to view my Stanced VG33ET Build thread / Click here to view my Feed Back thread

• Ok so heres mines....
    Have everything 87 hubs and all
    5/16th spacer.
    Made my own o rings from some similar size rubber o rings I got from Ace Hardware.But I did get the compleat rebulid kit.
    30mm from 91 z32TT
    Still need longer studs…

This is what happens when you dont use some kind of spacer on 87T OEM wheels

• 87T+ wheels have 10mm less offset that's why they rub the calipers. 84AE/86T wheels have +20mm offset. 87T+ have +30mm offset.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

• NissanEgg wrote: 87T+ wheels have 10mm less offset that's why they rub the calipers. 84AE/86T wheels have +20mm offset. 87T+ have +30mm offset.
    Yep found that out the hard way.But its ok,I didnt scrap my calipers too bad and you cant even see them.Once I get some Mustang Cobra wheels Ill just repaint them a little.

• I used r33 gts calipers on stock rotors with 87t wheels, and had no rubbing problems.

• coryz31 wrote: I used r33 gts calipers on stock rotors with 87t wheels, and had no rubbing problems.
    what size rotor do the gts use? im only asking because i have a set front and rear of a gtr non-V spec and i know they wont clear for sure.

• [quote]cjlewisz31 wrote:
    Originally posted by coryz31
    I used r33 gts calipers on stock rotors with 87t wheels, and had no rubbing problems.what size rotor do the gts use? im only asking because i have a set front and rear of a gtr non-V spec and i know they wont clear for sure.
    http://carfish.net16.net/brakes.html

• [quote]G-E wrote: [quote=cjlewisz31]
    Originally posted by coryz31
    I used r33 gts calipers on stock rotors with 87t wheels, and had no rubbing problems.what size rotor do the gts use? im only asking because i have a set front and rear of a gtr non-V spec and i know they wont clear for sure.http://carfish.net16.net/brakes.html
    thanx for the link bud. my rotors are 296x32 so im guessing if your fit then so should mine.

• cjlewisz31 wrote: thanx for the link bud. my rotors are 296x32 so im guessing if your fit then so should mine.
    I did need 8mm (minimum) spacer for the 17" rims I have, so I expect something similar for stock 87t rims, the caliper however needs less offsetting from the mount, mine needed 4-4.5mm to center on the rotor

If you used narrower rotors (z32) and spaced the inner pad out more (lotsa shims, custom plate etc), you could get more rim clearance by keeping the caliper closer to the mount

• thanx for that. i will be using s13 knuckles so it should, key word "should", clear my wheels. i have an old set of 5 lug Rikens with the same wheel offset as the 88t. worst case ill need a small spacer as you mentioned.

• cjlewisz31 wrote: thanx for that. i will be using s13 knuckles so it should, key word "should", clear my wheels. i have an old set of 5 lug Rikens with the same wheel offset as the 88t. worst case ill need a small spacer as you mentioned.
    The hub you use doesn't change the caliper clearance, the brake rotor dictates where everything sits, on the S-chassis you just don't have to space the caliper out as I recall

My old chassis is going to get a big brake kit of some kind, and I think I'll be using lathed non-turbo hubs for extra offset, which will allow room for a nice bracket for any kind of caliper/rotor