Brake Upgrade Thread

• ive nevervused ss lines but i get mine from racetechperformance.com from my boy malik. also im not sure if the ss line come with all 6line for our z31s but if they dont, malik knows about the lines in the rear control arms so if you order from him he'll make sure you get what you need and give you a choice of colored sleives that go over the lines for accents.

• hi, i got a 86NA and i plan on tracking the car at some point. It sat for a bit and the right rear caliper is rusted up and is completely locked up, i have a wrecked 91 z32 sitting back in Kansas city (i live in Mississippi and its sitting at my dads house) and i want to do the front and rear z32 brake swap.....but my other problem is the shocks are shot (the original ones from back in the day) and i want coilovers, i was going to do the s13 spindle and coilover swap for the front shown here:
    http://ghettogarage.org/how-to/z31-s13- … onversion/

and for the rear shown here:
    http://redz31.net/pages/coilovers.html
    ( i would do the front like this but i cant have a welder where i live)

so anyways pretty much my main thing is will it work/is there a better option that works with a budget....
    oh btw i don't care about the Ebrake issue because the dang thing doesn't work anyways.
    id appreciate any help i can get before i just start and get real disappointed when it doesn't work
    86NA (work in progress)

• Z32 rear e-brakes will not work on Z31 rear suspension.

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

• i know, that's why i said i'm not worried about it because mine doesn't work anyways and iv done fine without it thus far :sweat
    86NA (work in progress)

• Working on STI adapters tonight.

Wondering whats the distance from the Z31 mounting point to hub? min 40mm radius min is needed to clear it, but I cant mesure that distance without the strut assembly (waiting at the shop for a powdercoat.

This information can always be useful for reference. :nanan?re

''And at the end of the day you have a Mitsubishi. It's like masturbating with your own tears.'' Neit86T

• Back when ppl where making these for their s-chassis their were a ton of measurements listed on Zilvia. I have them bookmarked on my other computer and can probably find them tomorrow if neccessary. I would assume you could use s-chassis mounting width+z31 shim distance to get the thickness.

86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

• There is a lot of space behind. No need to worry about clearance there.

Steel adapter can be welded in place, using Z31 hole as guidance.

''And at the end of the day you have a Mitsubishi. It's like masturbating with your own tears.'' Neit86T

• does anyone know if the z31 reservoir fit on a z32 brake master? I want to be able to use my ztek cap i bought but i need to use a 80mm flat cap and the 2 (80mm and 60mm) different sized cap the z32 master comes with.
    86 NA
    87 Turbo
    Member of the "zetto sun-ichi" group

Local MN car forum/club anyone welcome..... fivezeroseven.net join!

• reddzx wrote: I've been going through all the brake threads trying to find something I thought I saw awhile back.

I have a set of 1990 Z32 NA aluminum calipers and it seems like I read that they could be use with the stock 87-89 turbo front rotors. I ask this because I have a set and I have new stock rotors that would be a shame to waste.

I also found info at zenonz31 that says I need Z32 rotors and shims to center the caliper. Are there any brake lines that will match the calipers to the Z31 hard lines?
    It's in the DIY section of the website. I posted my Z32 brake swap. I used 87-89T Rotors after buying like 4 different rotors from my parts guy. The one that fit exactly was the one that was from the Z31, and I didn't realize. Made me look real stupid when I went back to ask for another rotor for an 87 Turbo… because after all that measuring and interchanging… I ended up getting stock rotors for my car (which he knows I own) - but my parts guy is awesome, so he just poked fun.

My calipers came with a small holder thing that is welded to the back, and then has a spacer wedged into them. What I also noticed is that the spacer is almost exactly the same shape/size as the exhaust manifold washers. I think the hole is a touch bigger though.

• Is it possable to get these solid model files??
    I run SolidWorks 2010 and this would be awsome..
    I'm sure i can figure out how to convert it to SW..
    Thanks

Z-31Turbo wrote: There is a lot of space behind. No need to worry about clearance there.

Steel adapter can be welded in place, using Z31 hole as guidance.

Kevin
    ---------------------------------------
    1986 NA 5sp - Bone stock, but in good shape

• ZMIKEMAN wrote: Just a quick post to point some things out I found in my Z32 Swap (30mm Aluminum Calipers, OEM Z32 Rotors, Z32 SS Lines).

1. Early z31 dust shield won't work with the later model hubs
    Maybe something was said about this and I probably missed it but the inner dia of the brake dust shields are to small for the later model hubs to work. You can bore this out or remove them, otherwise your bearings won't seat properly and you wouldnt want to drive it like this.
    Fuzzcheek1 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure this is the only place I've ever seen this posted, so I just wanted to make sure. Can anyone else that's completed this swap confirm this information? Even Jason's site doesn't make reference to removing the dust shields.
    Racinjitter wrote:
    I can confirm that the 87-89 turbo hubs will rub on early spindles/brake dust shields. However it will not cause the bearing to not seat properly, it will rub. I simply removed my shields. Also if you upgrade to z32 brakes you will have to cut your dust shields to clear the calipers.
    Neil86t wrote:

+1 This is true. I had to cut off the whole shield to seat the 87-89 hubs on my 86T spindles for my Wilwoods.
    Wish I would have reviewed the thread this morning before starting the project. Was a head scratcher trying install the late turbo hubs on 86na spindles/dust shields when everything kept binding. It wasnt until i flipped the stock 86na hubs over and noticed they have a different style grease seal.

So far I opted to order a new set of early hub style rear grease seals (National P/N: 444116) to see if it will work in the late turbo model hubs (can anyone confirm?). If not, I will remove the dust shields to trim out the center section to make the late turbo hubs original style work.
    86na - BlueZ
    85t - Mr Tickles

• Alright, before I go and mess this up. I just got my stance coilovers delivered today and before I cut and weld my spindles I need to know the following. Will I be able to do the TT front brake upgrade w/ my 88 SS hub? or do I need a Turbo 87-89 hub?
    Shiro #562
    vg33et66- satan log manifold- satan racing plenum- 800cc o-ring injectors- Schneider
    s2 cams- Schneider valve springs- jwt 450hp kit- stance gr+ coilovers- Starion Wheels
    soon to be replaced by Epsilon Southern Ways 16x10 3piece wheels

sigpic

• hds84t wrote: Alright, before I go and mess this up. I just got my stance coilovers delivered today and before I cut and weld my spindles I need to know the following. Will I be able to do the TT front brake upgrade w/ my 88 SS hub? or do I need a Turbo 87-89 hub?
    do you have a slip on 5 bolt rotor?

• [quote]adamvann3 wrote:
    Originally posted by ZMIKEMAN
    Just a quick post to point some things out I found in my Z32 Swap (30mm Aluminum Calipers, OEM Z32 Rotors, Z32 SS Lines).

1. Early z31 dust shield won't work with the later model hubs
    Maybe something was said about this and I probably missed it but the inner dia of the brake dust shields are to small for the later model hubs to work. You can bore this out or remove them, otherwise your bearings won't seat properly and you wouldnt want to drive it like this.
    Fuzzcheek1 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure this is the only place I've ever seen this posted, so I just wanted to make sure. Can anyone else that's completed this swap confirm this information? Even Jason's site doesn't make reference to removing the dust shields.
    Racinjitter wrote:
    I can confirm that the 87-89 turbo hubs will rub on early spindles/brake dust shields. However it will not cause the bearing to not seat properly, it will rub. I simply removed my shields. Also if you upgrade to z32 brakes you will have to cut your dust shields to clear the calipers.
    Neil86t wrote:
    Originally posted by ZMIKEMAN
    +1 This is true. I had to cut off the whole shield to seat the 87-89 hubs on my 86T spindles for my Wilwoods.
    Wish I would have reviewed the thread this morning before starting the project. Was a head scratcher trying install the late turbo hubs on 86na spindles/dust shields when everything kept binding. It wasnt until i flipped the stock 86na hubs over and noticed they have a different style grease seal.

So far I opted to order a new set of early hub style rear grease seals (National P/N: 444116) to see if it will work in the late turbo model hubs (can anyone confirm?). If not, I will remove the dust shields to trim out the center section to make the late turbo hubs original style work.
    Just an FYI. The early style hub grease seal (National P/N 444116) do fit/work/press into the late model slip on turbo hubs. Well worth the $6 not to have to sit and trim the dust shields on the car an early model car.
    86na - BlueZ
    85t - Mr Tickles

• …my skyline r32 GTR brakes FINALLY!

http://imgur.com/a/3qI6o

needs a 4mm spacer for the caliper, and the flare fitting for the brake line, otherwise direct bolt on…

for those who haven't read my brakes page, that means 294x32mm rotors, just a hair shy of 12"… down the line I will also be able to make a bracket and use z33 track rotors for even more baller status