Brake Upgrade Thread

• ^^ Yeah .. I didn't take the photos.
    Maybe over my 5-day weekend, I'll take some pics.

I think the z32 caliper will slip right on .. it's something I discussed with him .. going with z32 calipers or with willwoods.
    '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
    PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

• Ok, so I'm going to throw this into the mix…

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/122707…on-brakes.html

As i understand it we can use any upgrade brake set-up for the 240sx with a little shimming..
    So does anybody know if this is possible using the same principle..

Basically he bolts the 350z (z33) Brembo track rotors AND calipers directly onto his S14 with gust drilling out his mounting holes.

We should be able to do the same with a little shimming.. Anyones thoughts???

---------------------- COPIED FROM THE LINK ABOVE -----------------

S14 -> 350z track edition brakes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is for everyone who has PM'd me about my brakes. No custom brackets are needed!
    Step 1:
    Get 350z or G35 track edition brembo calipers and rotors. You also need z32 conversion brake lines, brake fluid, etc.

Step 2:
    Remove wheel, caliper, rotor, and brake dust shield. Don't disconnect the brake lines yet or you will have to bleed the entire system.

Step 3:
    Drill out the caliper mounting holes on the spindle. You will need a 9/16" drill bit. This is because the brembo calipers use 14mm mounting bolts vs the stock 12mm. If you have ABS, cover the ABS sensor with something. It is magnetic and the metal shavings will cover it.

Mounting hole half way drilled out to show the difference:

Step 4:
    The 350z caliper mounting bolts need to be modified. Basically, the threads stop 1" from the bolt head because the 350z spindle is thicker than the s14's. This caused the bolt to run out of thread before the bolt head bottomed out to mount the caliper. I used a thread cutting die and added 1/2" of threads to the bolt to solve this. You can just get new bolts from a hardware store, just measure thread pitch and length. (Sorry, didn't get any pics of this)

Step 5:
    Mount new rotor & caliper. Connect the z32 conversion brake lines to the caliper. Disconnect the old brake line from the chassis hard line and immediately connect the z32 conversion line using a flare nut wrench. Don't allow too much brake fluid loss. If your master cylinder gets emptied, you have to bleed all 4 brakes. Remove the two bleeders from the caliper and fill it with fluid (yes there are two on each of these calipers). Reinstall the bleeders and bleed, starting with the insider bleeder first. (Sorry, didn't get any pics of the brake line install either. I didn't want to get brake fluid/crap on my camera. It's all basic stuff, you've done it before.)

Step 6:
    Repeat for the other side. The end.
    Kevin
    ---------------------------------------
    1986 NA 5sp - Bone stock, but in good shape

• adamvann3 wrote:
    1988 z31 Turbo and NA uses a 15/16 BMC with a split point of 427psi.

Examples:

91 - 94 S13 240SX (all)
    7/8" BMC
    Split Point – 569psi
    Reducing Ratio - 0.4
    If you have 1000 psi of line pressure, the fronts get 1000 psi, the rears get 569psi + (1000psi -569psi) * 0.4 = 741psi.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Z31 300Z Non-Turbo
    Part# 46010-06F00 (07/83 - 09/85) TOKICO
    Part# 46010-21P00 (09/86 - 00/00) TOKICO***
    Part# 46010-56L20 (07/83 - 09/85) NABCO***
    Part# 46010-04P00 (09/85 - 09/86) TOKICO
    Part# 46010-04P20 (09/85 - 09/86) NABCO
    15/16" BMC
    Split Point – 569psi
    Reducing Ratio - 0.4
    If you have 1000 psi of line pressure, the fronts get 1000 psi, the rears get 569psi + (1000psi -569psi) * 0.4 = 741psi. same as stock
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    90 Z32 300ZX
    15/16" w/o ABS Aust. BMC
    17/16" w/ABS Aust./Euro BMC
    Split Point – 498psi
    Reducing Ratio - 0.4
    If you have 1000 psi of line pressure, the fronts get 1000 psi, the rears get 498psi + (1000psi -498psi) * 0.4 = 698psi. 42psi less than stock
    Z31 300Z Turbo
    Part# 46010-22F00 (07/83 - 09/86) TOKICO
    Part# 46010-22F20 (07/83 - 09/85) NABCO
    Part# 46010-56L20 (07/83 - 09/85) NABCO***
    Part# 46010-18F20 (09/85 - 09/86) NABCO
    Part# 46010-21P00 (09/86 - 00/00) TOKICO***
    15/16" BMC
    Split Point – 498psi

Reducing Ratio - 0.4
    If you have 1000 psi of line pressure, the fronts get 1000 psi, the rears get 498psi + (1000psi -498psi) * 0.4 = 699psi. 42psi less than stock
    Z31 300Z Turbo and NA
    Part# 46010-21P00
    (09/86 - 00/00) TOKICO***
    15/16" BMC
    Split Point - 427psi

Reducing Ratio - 0.4
    If you have 1000 psi of line pressure, the fronts get 1000 psi, the rears get 427psi + (1000psi -427psi) * 0.4 = 656psi. 85psi less than stock
    94 - 95 - 96 Z32 300ZX
    1" BMC
    Split Point – 356psi
    Reducing Ratio - 0.4
    If you have 1000 psi of line pressure, the fronts get 1000 psi, the rears get 356psi + (1000psi -356psi) * 0.4 = 614psi. 127psi less than stock
    I'm confused. Here is the same p/n listed in 3 sections with 3 different split points.

• K_Scheeringa wrote: Ok, so I'm going to throw this into the mix…

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/122707…on-brakes.html

As i understand it we can use any upgrade brake set-up for the 240sx with a little shimming..
    So does anybody know if this is possible using the same principle..

Basically he bolts the 350z (z33) Brembo track rotors AND calipers directly onto his S14 with gust drilling out his mounting holes.

We should be able to do the same with a little shimming.. Anyones thoughts???
    Thought this was covered before?

350z and g35 have the same spindle mounting orientation as the s-chassis and consequently the z31 (with shims as you mentioned). When looking at the Wilwood bracket it was discovered the the holes just needed to be drilled larger and could be used on a 350z/g35 (same principle but reversed).

Long story short.... yes it can be done. Its just the 350z track setup is highly sought after and $$$. The evo8 setup may be a better way to go if you cant find 350z track brembos
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

• Thought I would add a little to this FAQ:

NISSAN Z-CAR ROTOR MATRIX "STOCK"

This little Excel sheet was compiled by me using Centric's OE replacement measurements. They may not be 100% correct but will work as a frame of reference. I believe for example the rear rotors on the z32 and up were all floating with Drum in Hat.

I will be making an upgrade matrix as I get the information. The Matrix will be divided by the Stock caliper being used. I hope to have this banged out by December. A final matrix will be used for aftermarket bolt on or adapted Calipers for which an adapter exists already. Anybody looking to help shoot me your info and a source.
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
    Parting Currently:
    86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
    Garage Sale

• adamvann3 wrote: Thought I would post this up since I looked into it heavy when researching a bbk to go with.

Z1's Brembo Brake kit for the s13

http://www.z1motorsports.com/240sx/prod … ts_id=4176

Simple bolt and go (with shimming of course).

Facts:
    $698.00
    Rotor -- 305mm in diameter only 22mm wide
    Caliper -- Brand new brembo 4 pots

Now I never took the time to ask them about piston sizes ect… since the rotor width is weak sauce. If these were anything close to 30mm I would have probably gave them a shot. Z1 just mounted these on an s13 that sees street use and got favorable results. They have not yet been on the track but looking to do so soon.

Maybe someone will give them a shot.

These are the Brembo brakes from the Nissan Sentra SER-Spec V, which I know you can also fit the Q45 brakes on which leads me to believe that the mounting points are the same as the Z as well.
    1993 Infiniti Q45
    1992 Jeep Comanche
    1988 300zx NA 5MT

• [quote]Justin88na wrote:
    Originally posted by adamvann3
    Thought I would post this up since I looked into it heavy when researching a bbk to go with.

Facts:
    $698.00

Now I never took the time to ask them about piston sizes ect… since the rotor width is weak sauce. If these were anything close to 30mm I would have probably gave them a shot. Z1 just mounted these on an s13 that sees street use and got favorable results. They have not yet been on the track but looking to do so soon.

These are the Brembo brakes from the Nissan Sentra SER-Spec V, which I know you can also fit the Q45 brakes on which leads me to believe that the mounting points are the same as the Z as well
    I haven't heard of anyone doing Q45s on a B15 Spec-V. More common is the Z32 brake swap (I have it done on my 2002 Spec-V), which are direct bolt ons. Only the rotors need to be machines and you need conversion lines. The calipers bolt right on to Spec-Vs.

• [quote]Bates Z31 wrote: [quote=Justin88na]
    Thought I would post this up since I looked into it heavy when researching a bbk to go with.

Facts:
    $698.00

These are the Brembo brakes from the Nissan Sentra SER-Spec V, which I know you can also fit the Q45 brakes on which leads me to believe that the mounting points are the same as the Z as well
    If Z32 calipers bolt right onto a SE-R Spec-V then Spec-V claipers will bolt onto a Z31.
    I haven't heard of anyone doing Q45s on a B15 Spec-V. More common is the Z32 brake swap (I have it done on my 2002 Spec-V), which are direct bolt ons. Only the rotors need to be machines and you need conversion lines. The calipers bolt right on to Spec-Vs.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

• Bates Z31 wrote:

Yeah, there are a couple companies out there that sell a kit, Q45 calipers, redrilled rotors and lines. I dont have the links on my work comp.
    1993 Infiniti Q45
    1992 Jeep Comanche
    1988 300zx NA 5MT

• [quote]Justin88na wrote:
    Originally posted by Bates Z31

Yeah, there are a couple companies out there that sell a kit, Q45 calipers, redrilled rotors and lines. I dont have the links on my work comp.
    I don't doubt it. I am sure they fit, mostly because I know Z32 and Q45 calipers are direct bolt ons to S13s, and since Z32's also fit on B15s, it only makes sense that Q45s bolt on B15s too.

• hey all,
    Im working on retro fitting the rear z32/r32 calipers with the drum brake setup. so far: Using the arms of an 88t i found that there is room to fit the unit behind the hub. BUT..... there are things that need to be tacken care of. first thing is the top part of the drum where the retaining spring needs to be shorten and knotched to clear the stud head. also the stud heads need to be cut off on 1 side to clear the shoe retaining springs. sofar thats were ive stopped due to lack of light and dinner. only things left are welding somthing for the retaining stud at the back to bolt on to, drill, tap, and bolt on the drum backing ( looking like only one side will be able to do that with) and a 2-3mm wheel spacer inbetween the rotor and hub to make the space to clear and center the caliper. oh, and fab somthing to tie in the e-brake cables. it is a pain but it can be done… for the most part. :nanan?re

• I've been going through all the brake threads trying to find something I thought I saw awhile back.

I have a set of 1990 Z32 NA aluminum calipers and it seems like I read that they could be use with the stock 87-89 turbo front rotors. I ask this because I have a set and I have new stock rotors that would be a shame to waste.

I also found info at zenonz31 that says I need Z32 rotors and shims to center the caliper. Are there any brake lines that will match the calipers to the Z31 hard lines?

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

• reddzx wrote: I've been going through all the brake threads trying to find something I thought I saw awhile back.

I have a set of 1990 Z32 NA aluminum calipers and it seems like I read that they could be use with the stock 87-89 turbo front rotors. I ask this because I have a set and I have new stock rotors that would be a shame to waste.

I also found info at zenonz31 that says I need Z32 rotors and shims to center the caliper. Are there any brake lines that will match the calipers to the Z31 hard lines?
    It's been a while since I studied this stuff. Someone can verify this hopefully. You can you use calipers on 87-89 turbo rotors. I think you need either z32 lines or 240sx lines.
    Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
    1986 300zx Turbo
    2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
    1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

• As long as the NA calipers are the 26mm variety, then you can get away with using them on 87-89T rotors. If I remember correctly the 87-89T rotors are 22-24mm thick.

If you want to use Z31 style brake lines on the Z32 calipers, do this:
    Split caliper halves open
    Remove piston in front of brake line hole
    Take a phillips screwdriver or center punch and knock out the inverted flare fitting hitting from the piston side of caliper
    Rebuild calipers and install Z31-style hoses with new copper crush washers.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

• I got ss lines that go from the 240 to z32 so I wouldn't have to mess with taking them apart and what not I ended up sending them to nissan egg and having him rebuild them anyway but i'm glad I got the lines that are just plug and play Good luck!
    Click here to view my Stanced VG33ET Build thread / Click here to view my Feed Back thread