S13 Steering Rack Bushings

S13 bushing is garbage on a Z31. Movement is bad, even with wide bracket.
    Greg did post his fix in buried thread somewhere.
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

Just wanted to update, there's a guy on Facebook selling a Delrin bushing for the passenger side that gives a solid mounting and eliminates side to side movement of the rack.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

Originally posted by jaqattack02 View Post
    Just wanted to update, there's a guy on Facebook selling a Delrin bushing for the passenger side that gives a solid mounting and eliminates side to side movement of the rack.

Its David Carroll aka "Mr 510"

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Originally posted by reddzx View Post
    Its David Carroll aka "Mr 510"
    [email protected]

Nice, just contacted him. Good update.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Here is how I do it on my race cars.
    Just a small L shaped bracket that welds to the bushing bracket an connects to the rack via the power steering fitting.
    This setup has worked for many 7 plus hour long races.

Attached Files
    • 150121_0001.jpg (87.4 KB)

Has anyone been in contact with Dave? I don't have facebook…tried emailing at dave@vg30 and info@vg30. Will anyone FB message him for me? lol

Talk to 88turbozx. He was prototyping a promising set of solid steering rack bushings.

I was lucky enough to stumble on a set of Gary's poly rack bushings. Coming from busted OEM, these are amazing!
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

Those delrin ones might have a problem… I'll wait for conclusive evidence

Ah, thanks for the responses. I'm in no hurry until track season this summer. Definitely have some play in my rack though.

This spring's redesigned rack bushings (SRB) will have the driver's side be the hardness of Delrin.

Originally posted by G-E
    Those delrin ones might have a problem… I'll wait for conclusive evidence
    Care to post more details? I haven't had any issues with mine so far.

Also, this is the first I've heard of it. There haven't been any complaints in his Sale thread on Facebook.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

Without relevant information to support this claim, your pointless post, was pointless.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

So here's an update on my Passenger's Side Solid Steering Rack Mounts: I've got one customer whose rack is apparently moving in the Delrin mount. He's running 265/35/18 Toyo Proxy R1R front tires and is running a power rack with no pump. These mounts are in about 20 other Z31s at this point and my original S12 version is in about 50 cars without a single issue. The rack in my S12 hasn't moved at all in 3+ years of hard use on sticky tires. For reference, the Z31 rack is 1mm smaller diameter than an S12 rack but the mounts are made from the same material with the same amount of 'crush' when the bolts are fully tight.

Also at issue is the fact that there were apparently two widths of Z31 rack mounting straps even though Nissan says they were all the same. My solid mounts are made for the wider brackets that apparently came on the earlier cars. (I don't know when they changed.) The guy with the slipping rack says he has the wide mounting strap that fits properly in the bushing. From reading above that the poly mounts have to be glued to the rack to keep it from slipping perhaps we'll just need to do the same with solid plastic mounts if they slip.

I do intend to produce driver's side Delrin rack mounts at some point but people with S12s have been running these on the passenger's side only for nearly 10 years (someone else produced them long ago, but stole a bunch of people's money and vanished) and there are no complaints on the S12 forum. Actually everybody that has one, mine or the original guy's, raves about it.

So that's where things are at. I have the mounts in stock if anybody wants to buy one. They're $30 plus $7 shipping in the USA. I ship worldwide at additional expense.

I am behind on answering both PMs and emails right now, sorry! The best way to reach me is to email [email protected]
    http://www.vg30.com

Really I see the drivers side being the more likely to hold the strongest in any situation. As well as, it makes more sense for both to be the same material to compliment each other!
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic