How-To: Installing a 2005 Nissan Titan 150 amp Alternator

Originally posted by les_joey_paul
    Can I use the smaller heim joint and mount from the oem bracket mount? I'm not really in a position to make a little metal extension. Unless you can make an extra one to send me lol.
    I'm getting ready to compile my parts for the upgrade.
    I have a very sketchy pic that I drew up in MS Paint on how to use stock bracket without the metal extension....

Don't criticize me for my awesome drawing…

Get a heim setup like… 1"-1.5" shorter than what I used. You should be able to get one with a smaller ID, which might bring the entire thing's size down where you don't need to space it out from the alternator body. If it runs from the oil pump bolt to the alt it requires no bracket/extension.
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

Originally posted by amreboot View Post
    I have a very sketchy pic that I drew up in MS Paint on how to use stock bracket without the metal extension....

Don't criticize me for my awesome drawing…

This is exactly.
    So the adjuster bolt just screws into the alt that way without issue?
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…2-2-(-now-NA2T
    My build thread (:

Yuppers!

Sweetness. And I need to extend the wiring harness too. The white wire that leads back to the battery positive, that looks like 10 gauge to me. Is that accurate? I was planning to add an extra foot of wire to the harness that runs across the width of the engine. I want to solder 10 gauge to the white, and I guess 14 for the rest.
    My build thread (:

I'd run a beffier wire from the alt ring to battery, def not 10 ga.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

I'm only adding a foot or so. Although. .. does that wire go straight from the alt to the battery? I could probably make my own like 4 gauge short wire instead of extending the already long harness
    My build thread (:

pretty sure it's from alt through the fuse link box, then to the battery, although I'd rather run a larger gauge, and lug wire directly to the battery, with a more appropriate size - real- fuse. I plan to do this on whatever street car I wind up installing another alt on. as the current install on the race car, it only has lights, and fans to power…
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

The stock length will work, but the extra foot would be really nice. Although, for me the big obstacle for the install was wiggling it past the radiator.
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

It's already a super tight fit with just the swapping alternator to the other side from na2t.
    My build thread (:

I ran a secondary power wire from the battery positive to the alternator post when I did my 350Z/G35 125A alternator upgrade. I didn't trust the factory wire to support that kind of load, so a second wire parallel to the factory splits the load and should never have any issues.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

Dimensionally, how much larger is the Titan alternator vs. Stock - roughly?
    1986 NA - Purchased by me in December 1985
    Working on VG33 - NA to Turbo
    Tokico Illuminas w/ Eibach Springs
    88SS Sways

Originally posted by Allout View Post
    Dimensionally, how much larger is the Titan alternator vs. Stock - roughly?
    I would say about ~20% larger

hey, so quick question on this, i have a mechanic friend of mine doing this swap and he said that i need a voltage regulator connector for the titan or something like that in order to hook it up all the way

anyone have any idea where i can pick one of those up?

Not needed. It's a pure electrical plug and play using Z31 harness. The voltage regulator is inside the alternator.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily